Sat 18th Feb: World Club Challenge: Penrith Panthers v St Helens KO 7:00 (UK Time) (Sky/C4)

Who will win?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Penrith Panthers
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/02/23 at 07:30

18 hours ago, Chris22 said:

I worry about Hurrell shooting out of the line. 

Problem is, these guys get away with it in Super League where the skill level is not necessarily high enough to exploit it.

However up against NRL sides the consequences are clear to see. Remember Kyle Amor doing the same week after week, coming off the bench and completely disregarding any game plan or defensive system. Then they came up against the Roosters and it was humiliating. They literally targeted him, sent a playmaker at him and then tipped on to a runner straight into the space behind him. Try Time. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

Problem is, these guys get away with it in Super League where the skill level is not necessarily high enough to exploit it.

However up against NRL sides the consequences are clear to see. Remember Kyle Amor doing the same week after week, coming off the bench and completely disregarding any game plan or defensive system. Then they came up against the Roosters and it was humiliating. They literally targeted him, sent a playmaker at him and then tipped on to a runner straight into the space behind him. Try Time. 

Hopefully Kyle Amor doesn't get selected on Saturday then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hughsehhh said:

Yeah but just, just, what if saints start pulling off the impossible? You want to be there at home in your pants, cheering on every tackle / hit up live and feel as though you're in the moment and running from fullback about to take an inside pass from welsby and sprint clear. Then you come crashing down to earth when your missus starts thumping the floor from the bedroom above, complaining about the noise 

Or is it just me?

What are you doing in @Bedfordshire Bronco's bedroom thumping on the floor? 😂

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

Penrith have a fantastic system and strength throughout the club , with players coming in and looking the part  , and this side  still looks very strong to me . They’re one of the best NRL sudes for many years and I still expect them to set the standard this year . They’re on a different level to Saints IMO as they are most teams down there . With it being so early in the year and many having a first hit out it could make them a tad clunky but I expect as the game progresses Penrith will pull away comfortably 

We could probably do with a game to find out..

2 hours ago, Madrileño said:

What are you babbling on about?

Are you that obsessed with slating SL and coming on here to tell us how bad SL is your now making things up?

If your talking about the 2020 WCC Saints lost 20 to 12 to the Roosters - hardly humiliation.  Also Kyle Amor didn't even play in that match so your living in cookoo land - or in your case a tent in spain🤣

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

What are you babbling on about?

Are you that obsessed with slating SL and coming on here to tell us how bad SL is your now making things up?

If your talking about the 2020 WCC Saints lost 20 to 12 to the Roosters - hardly humiliation.  Also Kyle Amor didn't even play in that match so your living in cookoo land - or in your case a tent in spain🤣

You must be literally running around this site looking for anything I post on, to give your reaction.

Tragic.

I didn't even mention 2020. You simply assumed. Wrongly again of course!! 🙄

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

You must be literally running around this site looking for anything I post on, to give your reaction.

Tragic.

I didn't even mention 2020. You simply assumed. Wrongly again of course!! 🙄

Sorry.... I assumed you were talking about a WCC game.... on a WCC thread - I feel embarrassed now lad..... So we arnt talking about WCC on a WCC thread then.

So how many years are you going back to when the Roosters targeted Kyle Amor? - did they play Whitehaven??🤣🤣

4 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Is it really that much hotter?

Penrith is quite a distance from the middle of Sydney's city centre. About the same distance between Manchester and Liverpool. It also doesn't get the sea breezes which is why it's hotter

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Is it really that much hotter?

Penrith is quite a distance from the middle of Sydney's city centre. About the same distance between Manchester and Liverpool. It also doesn't get the sea breezes which is why it's hotter

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

So your in - hate SL and Uk lower league RL towns club as well Davy? - thought you were real fan as well.

You 2 have fun together ill just enjoy RL at all levels.

Erm no,I have no idea how you came to that conclusion,but it’s interesting that I’m not the only poster you have an unhealthy infatuation with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Sorry.... I assumed you were talking about a WCC game.... on a WCC thread - I feel embarrassed now lad..... So we arnt talking about WCC on a WCC thread then.

So how many years are you going back to when the Roosters targeted Kyle Amor? - did they play Whitehaven??🤣🤣

2016 World Club Series possibly.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Davo5 said:

2016 World Club Series possibly.

Nothing about the Cunningham years should be used as an example for anything. I remember that night Cunningham singled out a couple of our young backs for criticism and proceeded to praise our "middles" only for a young assistant Holbrook to come to the sky touchscreen and demonstrate time and again how they targeted the forwards to make errors resulting in points. After a poor 2015, it really highlighted Cunningham not really knowing what he was talking about (at least publicly). 

Hurrell played in big games last year against Wigan and Catalans etc, and I don't recall him ever being solely at fault for a try we conceded, but I do remember him scoring a try out of nothing in the Grand Final. Maybe Penrith will target him (and with the disruption of having Batchelor out, and it being a new combination down that side they may well) and if they do, it will be on the entire team to adapt and support him, but were not signing Herbie Farnworth between now and Saturday so we will have to go with what we have got and its up to Wellens to make the team sing from the same hymn sheet. I believe they can do it. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Look, Gus and the Mole have to post somewhere, otherwise we wouldn't know who were the enemies to keep closer.

• Haha 2

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, Magic Superbeetle said:

Nothing about the Cunningham years should be used as an example for anything. I remember that night Cunningham singled out a couple of our young backs for criticism and proceeded to praise our "middles" only for a young assistant Holbrook to come to the sky touchscreen and demonstrate time and again how they targeted the forwards to make errors resulting in points. After a poor 2015, it really highlighted Cunningham not really knowing what he was talking about (at least publicly). 

Hurrell played in big games last year against Wigan and Catalans etc, and I don't recall him ever being solely at fault for a try we conceded, but I do remember him scoring a try out of nothing in the Grand Final. Maybe Penrith will target him (and with the disruption of having Batchelor out, and it being a new combination down that side they may well) and if they do, it will be on the entire team to adapt and support him, but were not signing Herbie Farnworth between now and Saturday so we will have to go with what we have got and its up to Wellens to make the team sing from the same hymn sheet. I believe they can do it. 

The battle on the edges will go a long way to determining the winner.

Saints have lost Batchelor who I rate highly but Sione Mata'utia is a quality player and I thought  Curtis Sironen looked Saints best last week and he looks in top condition.  Meanwhile the Panthers (for different reasons) are not playing Kikau and Liam Martin who were both outstanding last year.

As for the centre.  We can talk all we like about Saints but with Crichton moving to full back the Panthers have a 20 year old Sunia Turuva in the centre who only has 3 NRL appearances.  If we are talking weaknesses to exploit, isn't it the Saints exploiting that, not the other way around.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Meanwhile the Panthers (for different reasons) are not playing Kikau and Liam Martin who were both outstanding last year.

Why are you even talking about Kikau, he's no longer at the club. They've known for over a year he wasn't going to be there in 2023 so have had plenty of time to plan & find a replacement, same for Koriosau.

The fact is Penrith are missing two 1st choice players (Martin & Edwards) and Saints are missing one (Batchelor), so absentees / injuries isn't an excuse for either club if they lose.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 minute ago, Saint Toppy said:

Why are you even talking about Kikau, he's no longer at the club. They've known for over a year he wasn't going to be there in 2023 so have had plenty of time to plan & find a replacement, same for Koriosau.

The fact is Penrith are missing two 1st choice players (Martin & Edwards) and Saints are missing one (Batchelor), so absentees / injuries isn't an excuse for either club if they lose.

Because the last time the Panthers played a competitive game they had Kikau and Koroisau and now they don't.

Difficult concept to grasp I realise.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Because the last time the Panthers played a competitive game they had Kikau and Koroisau and now they don't.

Difficult concept to grasp I realise.

Totally irrelevant - thats like saying Saints are without Regan Grace

• Like 4

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

2 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Totally irrelevant - thats like saying Saints are without Regan Grace

Saints are without Regan Grace.  Less relevant of course because he wasn't available in the last part of last year and didn't feature in the play off's or Grand Final as the two Panthers players did.

But the point is that the WCC is played as the first competitive match of the year and so looking at how the sides shape up based on their last games (the Grand Final) is a relevant conversation - particularly as key absences will need to be adjusted to - Kikau and Korisau certainly fit that bill as a key attacking edge player and a play making 9.

And if you don't think this then I am ok with that.