Thread on other Championship teams

1 minute ago, The Blues Ox said:

Huge culture change at Bradford has gone well.

It seems a long time since this culture change was being presented as a fait accompli doesn't it?

I must admit part of me wanted Bradford to do well last night because of the very sad situation involving Andrew Foster who seems a proper RL fan, but Barrow were far smarter than Bradford on the night.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, haskey said:

What is the point of the loan system

For the team receiving the loanee, the ability to fill in at a position where they have a deficiency, generally this is due to injuries, suspensions, etc. but sometimes down to not being able to recruit in a particular area of the team.

For the team sending the player out on loan, some revenue (generally teams pay for bring players in on loan), a player that will be nearer match fitness, a chance to see how a player can perform in a different environment, etc.

Traditionally loans have been for a relatively short period (4 weeks), but at the same time for sufficient time for the team the player is going to, to get some benefit from the loan (4 weeks) given that they are training with that team, learning team moves, etc. during that period. The "year long loans with recall options" seems to be something that has come into the game in later year (probably 10+ years now - showing my age).

• Like 2

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

5 hours ago, The Grinder said:

For the team receiving the loanee, the ability to fill in at a position where they have a deficiency, generally this is due to injuries, suspensions, etc. but sometimes down to not being able to recruit in a particular area of the team.

For the team sending the player out on loan, some revenue (generally teams pay for bring players in on loan), a player that will be nearer match fitness, a chance to see how a player can perform in a different environment, etc.

Traditionally loans have been for a relatively short period (4 weeks), but at the same time for sufficient time for the team the player is going to, to get some benefit from the loan (4 weeks) given that they are training with that team, learning team moves, etc. during that period. The "year long loans with recall options" seems to be something that has come into the game in later year (probably 10+ years now - showing my age).

Not sure it was rhetorical but there you go Haskey..........

35 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Toulouse's Josh Ralph out for at least 3 weeks with a foot injury, but sounds like he will be back well in time for the play-offs. He's the player that makes them tick in attack so they could ill afford to lose him for longer.

I think that a full strength Toulouse will be a massive danger whatever position they finish. Ralph is a class act for them.

• Like 1

I think York will beat Toulouse on Saturday.They will have to improve on their display against Batley but showing the form they did for an hour against Leigh in the Challenge Cup i take them to beat a Toulouse side who are not good travellers.In which case a win for Fev at The Shay would see us finishing top as the points difference surely is big enough.

16 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I think York will beat Toulouse on Saturday.They will have to improve on their display against Batley but showing the form they did for an hour against Leigh in the Challenge Cup i take them to beat a Toulouse side who are not good travellers.In which case a win for Fev at The Shay would see us finishing top as the points difference surely is big enough.

York's performance against Batley was grim , yes they should beat Toulouse this sat but RL forecasting is difficult at the best of times , hence plenty of rich bookies 😁

• Like 1

According to our bradfprd fan Mr G 

The Bradford Bulls have made a deadline day signing in the arrival of powerful forward Eribe Doro from Fax on a permanent deal until the end of the 2023 season 

. AND

Championship players Jorge Taufua (Bradford Bulls) and Brad Gallagher (Newcastle Thunder) have both received Grade F charges for Biting and Unacceptable Language towards a match official. Both cases will now be referred to the tribunal later this week.

Finally apparent good news for our Fax friend BO

Halifax Panthers are close to appointing former player Liam Finn as their head coach for 2024 

12 minutes ago, POR said:

According to our bradfprd fan Mr G 

The Bradford Bulls have made a deadline day signing in the arrival of powerful forward Eribe Doro from Fax on a permanent deal until the end of the 2023 season 

. AND

Championship players Jorge Taufua (Bradford Bulls) and Brad Gallagher (Newcastle Thunder) have both received Grade F charges for Biting and Unacceptable Language towards a match official. Both cases will now be referred to the tribunal later this week.

Finally apparent good news for our Fax friend BO

Halifax Panthers are close to appointing former player Liam Finn as their head coach for 2024 

The Doro signing was announced officially yesterday.

If there's any truth in the rumours of why he 'left' fax I'm not sure his signing will help dressing room morale at the Bulls 

31 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

thought finny would have given it a crack with the rams in the championship next season , going up as champions and possibly a playoff position next year would be some achievement

Might open the door for Sykes to finally hang up his boots and take the job as coach.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

If there's any truth in the rumours of why he 'left' fax 

Don't know about rumours but he has not played since Saints in the cup in May so missed last nine league games

Bradford will literally sign anyone, you have to wonder how much they have spent this season trying to compete for SL and still been a mile away. Doro always looked like he had potential but theres no room for what he did amongst a team.

As for Liam Finn he was also the obvious choice, I would love us to have gone after Powell but it would probably not have been a job that interested him. Said before our form has dipped massively since Finn and Scott Grix left, maybe its just a coincidence its hard to say. The scary thing is though that our board at one point offered Grix a new 3 year deal and you have to wonder what implications that could have had for the club after this season. Poor discipline, bad signings, inconsistant team selection, and on the fringe of missing the playoffs with the squad we have and some people are still worshipping the ground he walks on.

Edit: I know people will talk about Wembley but its literally a competition for Championship teams and at the beginning of the season we would have been a lot of peoples 3rd best team in the league so considering Toulouse aren't in it then we should really have been there or there abouts.

Edited by The Blues Ox
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, POR said:

Don't know about rumours but he has not played since Saints in the cup in May so missed last nine league games

I'm not going to repeat the rumours here but see the Grix Out and Doro threads on the 'fax and Bulls' boards respectively on RLFans for very strong hints

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep

Two young lads on the move .St Helens and Huddersfield Giants starlets, Taylor Pemberton and Jack Billington respectively, have made loan moves for the rest of the 2023 season. Pemberton has joined Championship play-off hopefuls York Knights whilst Billington will join the Barrow Raiders.

AND outside the championship

Former Castleford Tigers pair Mahe Fonua and Bureta Faraimo will remain in the UK for the remainder of the 2023 season, signing deals with a Yorkshire club. Fonua and Faraimo were released from Super League side Castleford Tigers in late July, with League One side Doncaster swooping for the pair.

• Like 1

Thomas Doyle has missed out on a move to Super League after Keighley Cougars rejected a last-minute enquiry from Wakefield Trinity to sign the hooker, 

Edited by POR

On 04/08/2023 at 10:14, The Blues Ox said:

Bradford will literally sign anyone within budget, who they feel will improve the match day team that becomes available. You have to wonder how much they have spent within budget this season after two of their highest earners left mid season trying to compete for SL and still been a mile away. Doro always looked like he had potential but theres no room for what he did amongst a team.

Adjusted for accuracy. The total inconsistency is accurate though 🙂

Edited by TrueBull
Add
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TrueBull said:

Adjusted for accuracy. The total inconsistency is accurate though 🙂

The funny thing is because its Bradford there is probably a really good chance that they are not spending within their means. I mean recent history isn't exactly on their side in that regard.