Featherstone - Boom or Bust by the looks of it

I’ve never seen crowds rise yet because a club owner moans that ungrateful local people who don’t appreciate how much it all costs them aren’t bothering to turn up.

Be positive, sell the sizzle, persuade. No club’s entitled to anything. Certainly doesn’t help attract commercial partners by saying “we don’t have a big enough audience”

• Like 14

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

7 hours ago, bigbaldnmad said:

Just for accuracy, I believe that this was posted on the Fev fans facebook page, and not from, or on, an official club social media source.

In my eyes he is commenting as a fan and would probably be okay, especially as he isn't quoting any specific incidents.

True B and someone has taken a screenshot posted it on line to try and cause trouble for MC and the club

To be honest it's a bit disappointing that it's taken until almost March for someone on this forum to make a "Fev boom-or-bust"  post, there's been at least one somewhere in TotalRL forumland in at least each of the last ten years!

In particular, has everyone forgotten all the doom-laden posts from last year when everyone seemed to think that Fev and Leigh's apparent spending spree was bound to end in the demise of whichever club didn't get promotion? Those posters have been very quiet this season.

That said - there may actually be an element of truth in it this year, as MC has previously said himself  that this year might be the last throw of the dice in terms of the time and money he spends on Fev with grandkids etc around the corner. Then again, he has also said that the club is pretty much self-sustaining these days. So we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

To be honest it's a bit disappointing that it's taken until almost March for someone on this forum to make a "Fev boom-or-bust"  post, there's been at least one somewhere in TotalRL forumland in at least each of the last ten years!

In particular, has everyone forgotten all the doom-laden posts from last year when everyone seemed to think that Fev and Leigh's apparent spending spree was bound to end in the demise of whichever club didn't get promotion? Those posters have been very quiet this season.

That said - there may actually be an element of truth in it this year, as MC has previously said himself  that this year might be the last throw of the dice in terms of the time and money he spends on Fev with grandkids etc around the corner. Then again, he has also said that the club is pretty much self-sustaining these days. So we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Winning games so easily could go against Fev as far as the speccies are concerned, I am saying this with expierence of last season being a Leigh fan, the expectation was that the next match would be a foregone conclusion and would not be not much of a contest, it did keep people away.

But I suppose it all depends on the individual, if one likes to see their team continually running up Cricket scores then it could not be better, on the other hand if hard contested games are one's preference then easy match ups become a tad boring.

As it came to prove with Leigh's average attendance last season, that was just not my opinion.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Winning games so easily could go against Fev as far as the speccies are concerned, I am saying this with expierence of last season being a Leigh fan, the expectation was that the next match would be a foregone conclusion and would not be not much of a contest, it did keep people away.

But I suppose it all depends on the individual, if one likes to see their team continually running up Cricket scores then it could not be better, on the other hand if hard contested games are one's preference then easy match ups become a tad boring.

As it came to prove with Leigh's average attendance last season, that was just not my opinion.

Spot on Harry in the 4 games we have Halifax drew the biggest attendance for walk up's as they would expect a competitive game. Next two not so, the Bulls game should draw a decent crowd but the trouble here is it's Monday night on TV so that will knock a fair few off. It is what it is and I've been going 52 year's and Featherstone as a town aren't as fanatical about RL as some other town's, i know where Mark is coming from but i can't see it making much difference sadly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

Nothing surer than RL fans loving a pile on of another club. Yes the chairman is frustrated that fans aren't coming to watch games that are foregone conclusions and he's expressed that, as a fan, big deal. There'll be 4,000 there on Monday and it'll be all smiles again.

Iam afraid its the British 'way' any successful club is frowned upon by most clubs fan's. Look how many hate Man U,Liverpool etc, they like the under dog better. Getting slated for trying to be successful as in our case is quite sad but it makes these keyboard warriors happy.

The club have several revenue streams....not just match day.

He's having a moan to fans on Facebook about the crowds which is a little unprofessional but that's rugby league for you.

The club have put a lot of effort in the increasing attendances so it's understandable but we've had a load of home games back to back and won them all at a canter in a league that doesn't really count as anything more than a qualifying excercise...... when money is tight and you know you're gonna win by 50+ there's more chance that you'll save your cash for a better game.

Fev don't do Boom or Bust.....we are a very well run club.......If we did we'd have probably got a SL promotion by now.  We generally lose out whichever team is spending considerably more than us that year.

The current squad cost less than it did last season.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

1 hour ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I’ve never seen crowds rise yet because a club owner moans that ungrateful local people who don’t appreciate how much it all costs them aren’t bothering to turn up.

Be positive, sell the sizzle, persuade. No club’s entitled to anything. Certainly doesn’t help attract commercial partners by saying “we don’t have a big enough audience”

Yep.....keep the moaning in house 

As someelse said maybe lower to beer prices to compete with the pubs

21 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

Nothing surer than RL fans loving a pile on of another club. Yes the chairman is frustrated that fans aren't coming to watch games that are foregone conclusions and he's expressed that, as a fan, big deal. There'll be 4,000 there on Monday and it'll be all smiles again.

Bottom line attendances have many factors  that effect them but in real terms in the championship they are normally around the same year on year 

haliax last 3728 this 3794

whitehaven last 2372  this 2248

Entitled ranting on Facebook is right out of the Degsy playbook. I suppose he has seen Leigh Leopards in Super League (Fev Fundercats?) and fancies a bit of that action.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

21 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Iam afraid its the British 'way' any successful club is frowned upon by most clubs fan's. Look how many hate Man U,Liverpool etc, they like the under dog better. Getting slated for trying to be successful as in our case is quite sad but it makes these keyboard warriors happy.

It's called Envy Fev', one of the seven deadly sins.

It's also the most common, widespread (ubiquitous) emotion, you hear fomented in public.

That it's the ''British Way'' is a sad indictment indeed.

1 hour ago, Daft old hooker said:

Although he probably shouldn’t have said it he did have a point. Newcastle came with a game plan to slow the game down and spoil and unfortunately it was a young referee who was unable to stop it which ruined the game.

It sounds like Newcastle ruined the game then not the ref.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

11 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yep.....keep the moaning in house 

As someelse said maybe lower to beer prices to compete with the pubs

Exactly. Hull KR used to lose all the pre-match drinkers to a combination of The Crown pub and a 5-a-side centre next door, now with Craven Streat people eat and drink before the game at the club. You have to give people a good reason to spend money with you, the fans would probably prefer to all-else-being-equal but won't if it's not up to scratch. 

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

2 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

It's called Envy Fev', one of the seven deadly sins.

It's also the most common, widespread (ubiquitous) emotion, you hear fomented in public.

That it's the ''British Way'' is a sad indictment indeed.

Well English sorry, i can't speak for the rest of the UK.

43 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

It's not next week that will be the problem Micheal, I should imagine that will construed as an attractive fixture, but there will be many percieve "blow outs" still to come, another big winner against the Bulls could even accelerate the situation.

37 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

We both know that all to well Rover!

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It's not next week that will be the problem Micheal, I should imagine that will construed as an attractive fixture, but there will be many percieve "blow outs" still to come, another big winner against the Bulls could even accelerate the situation.

True, the issue is how does the club make each fixture attractive when a lot are considered foregone conclusions (rightly or wrongly). Does the club take a tiered approach to pricing for certain fixtures? I'm sure that would give people a lot of ammunition to moan on here, why is my club Cat B, Cat C, etc.?

The club shot itself in the foot in my opinion by agreeing to reverse the Newcastle fixture, making it 4 home games in a row. I'm not sure why we did it, it had no benefit to us to do so and probably had an effect on the attendance of the match.

• Like 2