What a weekend of rugby league

A game on Thursday that had lots of fans passing opinions with moments of brilliant rugby. Then friday fantastic win for leigh, then all the drama at st helens. Unmissable tv sport, action, controversy, excitement, can't beat it. 

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

A game on Thursday that had lots of fans passing opinions with moments of brilliant rugby. Then friday fantastic win for leigh, then all the drama at st helens. Unmissable tv sport, action, controversy, excitement, can't beat it. 

Spot on RL truly is TGG.

I was at Warrington Thursday - cracking atmosphere in a cracking stadium with cracking fans !

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Yes and a bumper match review panel to come.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

A weekend that ends on a Friday with no Saturday or Sunday games. Great RL though. The three NRL games so far have all been crackers too. Good to see strong defensive displays again – my favourite type of matches that seem to have finally rebounded from the shock therapy that was the six-again!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pie tries said:

I was at Warrington Thursday - cracking atmosphere in a cracking stadium with cracking fans !

Good to hear. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for tonight with social media full of comments about the St Helens yobbos causing trouble and setting about Rhinos supporters. 

Rugby League is a great game as you say, but it is followed by a really toxic demographic. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Madrileño said:

Good to hear. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for tonight with social media full of comments about the St Helens yobbos causing trouble and setting about Rhinos supporters. 

Rugby League is a great game as you say, but it is followed by a really toxic demographic. 

A handful of idiots do not mean it is followed by a "really toxic demograph".

In fact, I have to wonder how you arrive at that statement when in all my years of watching RL (let's just say it's a lot) I've never actually seen any real trouble in person. That's not to say it has never happened but it's not exactly a plague. 

Maybe Damien was right.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

In fact, I have to wonder how you arrive at that statement when in all my years of watching RL (let's just say it's a lot) I've never actually seen any real trouble in person. That's not to say it has never happened but it's not exactly a plague. 

Maybe Damien was right.

I've hardly ever seen any trouble either.

But we need to be vigilant.

There shouldn't be any room for these wasters on our terraces.

Nip it, in the bud.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

I've hardly ever seen any trouble either.

But we need to be vigilant.

There shouldn't be any room for these wasters on our terraces.

Nip it, in the bud.  

Oh yeah, I'd totally agree with that. No room for complacency for sure but neither is it followed by a toxic demographic. In fact that's ludicrous and insulting. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

Maybe Damien was right.

Every time there is ANY problem regarding fan behaviour, whether it is referee abuse, homophobic or racist comments, attacking other teams fans, vandalising the other teams' bus, fighting in the stands.... whatever; there is always one person  on here jumping in with the standard: 

"Its a handful of idiots" comment. 

A total ostrich approach to dealing with problems the game faces. Preferring to sweep it under the carpet rather than face up to it.

The game in England is struggling desperately to attract fans/grow revenue. How many new people are likely to become paying fans as a result of seeing the St Helens yobs attacking away fans? (Zero)

By contrast, how many parents will be saying "do I want to take my kids there for an evening's entertainment?" (Plenty)

But then a lot of the current fanbase don't want new fans. They prefer a local game for local people. They prefer to make snidey comments about other supporters rather than actually condemn the behaviour that is driving people away. 

Aye - keep it up. With people like you around, the game is bound to grow 👍

20 hours ago, Madrileño said:

Every time there is ANY problem regarding fan behaviour, whether it is referee abuse, homophobic or racist comments, attacking other teams fans, vandalising the other teams' bus, fighting in the stands.... whatever; there is always one person  on here jumping in with the standard: 

"Its a handful of idiots" comment. 

A total ostrich approach to dealing with problems the game faces. Preferring to sweep it under the carpet rather than face up to it.

The game in England is struggling desperately to attract fans/grow revenue. How many new people are likely to become paying fans as a result of seeing the St Helens yobs attacking away fans? (Zero)

By contrast, how many parents will be saying "do I want to take my kids there for an evening's entertainment?" (Plenty)

But then a lot of the current fanbase don't want new fans. They prefer a local game for local people. They prefer to make snidey comments about other supporters rather than actually condemn the behaviour that is driving people away. 

Aye - keep it up. With people like you around, the game is bound to grow 👍

Aye ok. Only thing is that you are talking drivel. Go on YT, anytime you want. You can find hundreds, but hundreds of shorts from football games of fans fighting and carrying on. 

I don't see football throwing it's arms up and declaring itself toxic and not should it. Your reaction is ludicrous. 

Fact is, you're just a rather weird troll who thinks pretending to be a RL fan in some posts will be enough cover. 

Lol 👍🏻

Edited by The Masked Poster
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

This has been the best start to the season in over a decade

Some very strong teams in there and other teams like leigh, salford, and hull kr are improving dramatically. 

Incidently 10 of the catalan team are french with several young french players in their squad also. 

This is one hell of a start

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Madrileño said:

Dont talk rubbish

It was passionate

What a game

Even blake austin played well

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

😂😂Yes, how can we ever achieve the heights of football — a sport that never experiences any problems with referee abuse, homophobic or racist chanting, or fan disorder and violence.

You seem genuinely puzzled as to why your “rugby league is great — shame about the fans who watch it, the towns it’s played in, the clubs who play it, the people who run it, and the competitions it’s structured into” attitude wins you no friends here. Which is remarkable.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The only question for such an eventful weekend/ round is did it turn into important column inches (always in imperial for traditional newspapers) in the legacy press?

Did our poor, impoverished and only deserving of a pittance sport register on London's sporting pages?

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

14 hours ago, Jamie_ said:

A weekend that ends on a Friday with no Saturday or Sunday games. Great RL though. The three NRL games so far have all been crackers too. Good to see strong defensive displays again – my favourite type of matches that seem to have finally rebounded from the shock therapy that was the six-again!

This is a good point. How good would it be to wake up on a Saturday morning and still have a couple of rounds of SL to look forward to on the box. 

We have a lot to learn about increasing our visibility. 

It's been a superb start to the season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Londonbornirishbred said:

I took my 12 year old daughter to a play off game at KRoad in 2003(?).....best and most welcoming fans in SL in my opinion. Banter? Yes...aggression? Nope..

A few idiots on the grog doesn't portray a club.

Try telling Halifax fans that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Madrileño said:

Keep it in proportion. Did you go? I know multiple StH fans - not happy with Ref (that’s life) - words exchanged but no crowd trouble

4 hours ago, The storm said:

Some very strong teams in there and other teams like leigh, salford, and hull kr are improving dramatically. 

Incidently 10 of the catalan team are french with several young french players in their squad also. 

This is one hell of a start

Spot on - ignore the distractors - this is the best start in decades, feels like the sport turned a corner. Product on pitch just amazing - can’t take eye off any of the games…

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jamie_ said:

Loads of Championship and Lg1 games tomorrow mate - give one a go as those 2 leagues can produce some cracking RL.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, The storm said:

1 hour ago, Pie tries said:

Spot on - ignore the distractors - this is the best start in decades, feels like the sport turned a corner.

I told you all ages ago, if RL fans went to Specsavers everything would seem so much better.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

7 hours ago, Dave T said:

This is a good point. How good would it be to wake up on a Saturday morning and still have a couple of rounds of SL to look forward to on the box. 

We have a lot to learn about increasing our visibility. 

It's been a superb start to the season. 

Bang on Dave. When I can watch every NRL game I want live or delay, I am spoiled for choice.

The SL really needs to get to a stage that every game is televised. Mixing any number of broadcast partners if required.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Bang on Dave. When I can watch every NRL game I want live or delay, I am spoiled for choice.

The SL really needs to get to a stage that every game is televised. Mixing any number of broadcast partners if required.

We've actually gone backwards in how many games are televised. 

We have always had the standard two games, and then we used to have every Catalans home game too, so every other week a third game, and when we did Super 8's we'd sometimes even get four games a week. 

It felt like around that time Sky bought into an exciting future and wanted more, but in reality we made a bit of a balls up of it.