TINPOT RL AWARD OF THE WEEK

Tinpot RL Award of the week  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Tinpot RL Award of the week

• Featherstone chairman Mark Campbell threatening customer raising an issue...
    • Salford Red Devils asking for artists/bands to perform/WORK for free?

I voted for the Salford one. Dunbar's post in jest also reminded me that Salford's previous ground had a rich live music heritage so it is particularly bad for them to try to do this stuff on the cheap.

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

49 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

Has anyone found out how much the cheerleaders/mascots are being paid yet?

Are you seriously comparing kids (some of whom will have parents that have paid for them to be there) with adults with a trade?

• Thanks 1

The "Salford attitude" is prominent throughout the game, from Wakey not paying for grass growing lamps, Fev not having floodlights that cover the whole pitch, to Leeds and other big clubs getting players to play and train for a pittance or even for free. 

Its cheap

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The "Salford attitude" is prominent throughout the game, from Wakey not paying for grass growing lamps, Fev not having floodlights that cover the whole pitch, to Leeds and other big clubs getting players to play and train for a pittance or even for free. 

Its cheap

"You paid 'ow much for that new stand. I coulda got you that for half the price."

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Are you seriously comparing kids (some of whom will have parents that have paid for them to be there) with adults with a trade?

FFS they're not asking Led Zepp or The Foo Fighters to play a full set.😂

I'd imagine they're looking for local bands to play a couple of pre-match/half-time tunes or maybe half an hour in the beer tent outside the ground (although I could be wrong).

So yes, I'm comparing them to the cheerleaders (whose parents don't pay for them to attend games AFAIK). 

• Like 1

Just now, SalfordSlim said:

I'd imagine they're looking for local bands to play a couple of pre-match/half-time tunes or maybe half an hour in the beer tent outside the ground (although I could be wrong).

So yes, I'm comparing them to the cheerleaders (whose parents don't pay for them to attend games AFAIK). 

FWIW, I think they should be paid expenses but the way some are going on on here you'd think they were missing out on hundreds if not thousands in lost revenue.

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

"You paid 'ow much for that new stand. I coulda got you that for half the price."

Jokes aside, its why we can't fill the cup final in London anymore, it's why we sell mid tier England match tickets for £15.

Whilst of course there are some shining exceptions to this, the norms of this attitude are deeply embedded.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

Hyperbole doesn't make it right.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

FWIW, I think they should be paid expenses but the way some are going on on here you'd think they were missing out on hundreds if not thousands in lost revenue.

And are being forced at gunpoint to do it. I can’t believe so many people are wasting energy getting annoyed by it. 

31 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Its cheap

This sort of thing is tragically common across sports. It's not uncommon to see Premier League football clubs trying this "exposure" stuff to get people on board - there aren't many "youth team reporters" being paid much, if anything, in the Premier League. 

Unfortunately, the clubs know there are a lot of people who would kill for a career in sport, just as they are in industries like media, fashion and other creative industries, and that desire enables this sort of practice. 

And then these same industries have a circle-jerk amongst themselves about how they need to do more to encourage people from less privileged backgrounds, oblivious to the fact that this sort of practice is one of the main barriers....  

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

And are being forced at gunpoint to do it. I can’t believe so many people are wasting energy getting annoyed by it. 

The issue is that this sort of practice normalises the idea that (usually young) creatives, be they bands, journalists, photographers etc should have to "work for exposure" in order to pursue their careers. There are no other lines of work where people think this sort of practice is acceptable. 

This is why so many influential industries, like the media, don't reflect society - because people from less privileged backgrounds can't afford to work for free. This is exactly the principle upon which RL was founded. 

• Like 9

I’ve played a few gigs in my 16 year music career (1045 gigs if you’re taking notes), early on I was in a few original bands and most gigs were unpaid. The worst gigs for me were in named venues, where you’d be told you could only get a booking if you sold so many tickets - somewhere like Leeds Cockpit (long gone) you’d be given tickets to sell and you’d get a £1 a ticket only if you sold a minimum of 20 tickets. Pretty ###### really - you’re providing the music, bringing 20 mates who are combined putting a couple of hundred pounds behind the bar and for that you’d get £20 between you to cover petrol, string/drumstick breaks etc. Some London venues were even worse saying you’d only get the gig if you promised to sell 50 tickets, any less and you’d have to pay a fee. Also known as pay to play. A lot of unknown bands actually buy their support slot on a named bands tour.

As an aside I have a mate who supported Bon Jovi at I believe Milton Keynes Bowl and got nothing. 

I don’t know if it’s any different nowadays, I’m now in a few covers bands earning fairly decent money, but occasionally we have a young originals band supporting us who are genuinely surprised (in a good way) when we split the money with them.

As for Salford, you’d think they could budget a few hundred quid. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

Is it too late for London Broncos to enter?

I have read today's news item from them twice and I must be misunderstanding it because they seem to be saying they are opening up 2 rows of seats only for the Cup game against Whitehaven.

Imagine opening up an unneeded extra row of seats like that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

Is it too late for London Broncos to enter?

I have read today's news item from them twice and I must be misunderstanding it because they seem to be saying they are opening up 2 rows of seats only for the Cup game against Whitehaven.

Nothing Broncos does surprises me any more. One of the worst run clubs in the country.