Michael Carter stepping down end of 2023

A shame.He seemed to be a very honourable man.

Was very generous to Sheffield Eagles allowing them to use his stadium - and was on the pitch during a rainstorm assisting with a problem.

He once mentioned being at a certain soccer ground,outside of the Yorkshire region.

My very best wishes to him and his family. 

• Like 2

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

4 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

A shame.He seemed to be a very honourable man.

Was very generous to Sheffield Eagles allowing them to use his stadium - and was on the pitch during a rainstorm assisting with a problem.

He once mentioned being at a certain soccer ground,outside of the Yorkshire region.

My very best wishes to him and his family. 

while i agree letting eagles play at wakefield was a good thing and I would thank him for it.. the way you phrase it makes it look like he did it for free..

• Like 2

I think this has been coming for a while given where Wakefield are at and the calls for more outside investment. 

He has been essential to steering the club through a very difficult time and done some wonders with little money (relatively). The new stand and stadium upgrades is a fine legacy.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Wakey Til I Die said:

Done his time, stabilised the club when it was all but gone and i thank him very much for that. But we need a fresh outlook and new ideas so this is the right call. 

Agreed. I would also add, and the club will be the first to support this too, Trin need fresh and new money in the club. Carter has done a lot with a little, but ultimately he must see that he doesn't have the personal resources to push the club much further forward.

Been in the pipeline for a while apparently. He's become more disillusioned with the sport, been investaged by the RFL after a complaint by an agent (exonerated), got a fair amount of grief of fans when he was on social media, has a few medical conditions and mental issues and at 55 decided he doesn't need extra stresses in his life.

• Like 2

No question that he has steered the club through some difficult times, but I think it's fair to say that he's probably not cut out for the direction SL wants to head.

I think some of his comments around expansion, marketing and player welfare suggest that he's not going to be a great cultural fit in the IMG era. Undoubtedly a great accountant and someone to steady a ship through choppy waters, but not someone you want leading you if you're looking for growth. 

Edited by whatmichaelsays
  • Like 3

Just now, binosh said:

I think this is a very bad sign for Wakefield, to come out within hours of the IMG meeting rings alarm bells for me and he’s probably not up for the fight its going to take.

He's just a bit out of kilter with it all and probably wants someone else to take up workload of the fight for Trin. Been coming for a while.

1 minute ago, binosh said:

I think this is a very bad sign for Wakefield, to come out within hours of the IMG meeting rings alarm bells for me and he’s probably not up for the fight its going to take.

Many of you are missing the full statement. It's very coincidental but there are many factors to his decision, IMG were not noted as one of them 

• Like 2

Just now, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Many of you are missing the full statement. It's very coincidental but there are many factors to his decision, IMG were not noted as one of them 

I doubt he’s going to come out and say it, that statement looks to me like it’s been prepared for weeks if not months and has been rushed out today after he’s been to the meeting, it’s probably brought forward his decision, only my opinion mind.

15 minutes ago, binosh said:

I doubt he’s going to come out and say it, that statement looks to me like it’s been prepared for weeks if not months and has been rushed out today after he’s been to the meeting, it’s probably brought forward his decision, only my opinion mind.

He's a blunt guy, if he's got something to say he won't hide behind political statements. If it was a factor I'm pretty sure he would've made reference to it.