Report: 2025 World Cup on verge of collapse

31 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Currently 8 teams have qualified - England, Lebanon, Australia, NZ, Samoa, Tonga, PNG and Fiji.

4 spaces left one would assume would be a pro-rata'd version of existing qualification routes - 

2 Europe down from 4 (*technically 5 as France are now playing for qualification)

1 Americas down from 2

1 MEA/Pacific Repechage winner

Puts a lot of pressure of the Euros this year, to the extent that I would remove England Knights from them now.

I wouldn't assume there will be a qualification process at all given the story above.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I wouldn't assume there will be a qualification process at all given the story above.

They will pick the nations they want, agreed.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Where do you get your 12 teams from then?

If they didn't have qualifying, then maybe the IRL world rankings.

Although in the meantime teams outside the top 12 would then be desperate to play matches to move up and teams in the 12 might avoid playing as often in case they fall down the rankings. 

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

More details on the NZ bid, including 12 team preference, which would reduce the cost risk. Games in NZ, Aus and potentially a couple in the islands.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/world-cup-blowouts-about-to-end-with-minnows-removed-from-the-pool-20230518-p5d9i1.html

It will be disappointing if Aus and NZ Co host and they reduce to 12. If im right the 2017 format turned a profit with 14 teams ? They'd handle 16 no problem. 16 is nice and symmetric and allows for super group or seeding format.

If New Zealand were to host independently I'd be happy enough to accept a reduction in teams but not if Australia are hosting/ Co hosting. Was the 2021 RLWC that bad to justify reducing teams??? The article points at blowouts, the supergroup' format is a potential solution...

Been thinking today it looked like England wouldn't get any meaningful games this Autumn now we have Tonga series. And when France fell through some believed we wouldn't see a tournament at all now its likely in some form or other so not as bleak as it once looked.....

Edited by Jparrish
J

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Reducing to 12 is the easy option and if Australia and New Zealand are co-hosting there really shouldn't be any need to do so.

I'd begrudgingly accept it if it was NZ alone hosting but Australia and NZ Co hosting there is no justification 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Where do you get your 12 teams from then?

Invitation 

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The advantage of a 12-team World Cup - particularly if it is a Super 12 format - is the group stages would be super competitive.

eg.

Group 1

1. Australia
  2. Samoa
  3. Tonga
  4. Fiji
  5. France
  6. NZ Maori

Group 2

1. New Zealand
  2. England
  3. PNG
  4. Lebanon
  5. Cook Islands
  6. Indigenous Australia

Top two qualify for semis.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

The advantage of a 12-team World Cup - particularly if it is a Super 12 format - is the group stages would be super competitive.

eg.

Group 1

1. Australia
  2. Samoa
  3. Tonga
  4. Fiji
  5. France
  6. NZ Maori

Group 2

1. New Zealand
  2. England
  3. PNG
  4. Lebanon
  5. Cook Islands
  6. Indigenous Australia

We can’t have Indigenous or Maori in a WC. Might as well have England Knights and Cumbria in there too

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

eg.

Group 1

1. Australia
  2. Samoa
  3. Tonga
  4. Fiji
  5. France
  6. NZ Maori

Group 2

1. New Zealand
  2. England
  3. PNG
  4. Lebanon
  5. Cook Islands
  6. Indigenous Australia

I know this is just your suggestion and there hasn't been any other indication of ethnicity based teams, but teams need to either represent geographical areas (sovereign states and the home nations) or ethnic groups.

Mixing the two together makes no sense - especially when your two ethnicity based teams would be made up of people traditionally (and probably exclusively) from two of the geographical states that would also be represented.

If you want to base teams on people's race/ethnicity then for consistency we will have to do away with England and have an Anglo-Saxon XIII, replace Wales with a Brythonic XIII, have an Afro-Caribbean XIII, Ethnic Greek XIII, etc. White Australians and New Zealanders will have to play for their ethnic origin team from Europe.

I much prefer the current system of representing the country you (or your parents/grandparents) are born in.

Lets not divide ourselves up by race.

Beyond that, your system means removing six of the teams from the last world cup (or other qualifiers) rather than the four that has been suggested in today's article.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

eg.

Group 1

1. Australia
  2. Samoa
  3. Tonga
  4. Fiji
  5. France
  6. NZ Maori

Group 2

1. New Zealand
  2. England
  3. PNG
  4. Lebanon
  5. Cook Islands
  6. Indigenous Australia

If this did happen it wold be the biggest Joke of a world cup we evr had.

Made up teams in a "World Cup"?

Who is the presidemt of the NZ Maroi?  Where is this country located?  Whats it capital? DO I need a VISA to visit?  Does it have a currency? Can you beocme a citizen? How do I get a passport?

You want to have made up countires, then call it the Oceania cup, or Fosters Invitational or the Skybet 12 team challege

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JM2010 said:

We can’t have Indigenous or Maori in a WC. Might as well have England Knights and Cumbria in there too

Yes its terrible. The game was a laughing stock (yes one of many times granted 😂) in 2000 when we had NZ Maori in

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

I know this is just your suggestion and there hasn't been any other indication of ethnicity based teams, but teams need to either represent geographical areas (sovereign states and the home nations) or ethnic groups.

Mixing the two together makes no sense.

If you want to base teams on people's race/ethnicity then for consistency we will have to do away with England and have an Anglo-Saxon XIII, replace Wales with a Brythonic XIII, have an Afro-Caribbean XIII, Ethnic Greek XIII, etc. White Australians and New Zealanders will have to play for their ethnic origin team from Europe.

I much prefer the current system of representing the country you (or your parents/grandparents) are born in.

Lets not divide ourselves up by race.

Beyond that, your system means removing six of the teams from the last world cup (or other qualifiers) rather than the four that has been suggested in today's article.

I think it might happen, which is why I included them. "We also want Australia co-hosting as well with the view to creating a unique tournament that respects Indigenous people on both sides of the Tasman and our Pasifika brothers who are such a big part of the game of rugby league."

That said, I’d much rather see what could be a tremendously competitive World Cup than 94-0 drubbings for the sake of including Scotland and Jamaica. I imagine the paying public would too….

Edited by Man of Kent

17 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

eg.

Group 1

1. Australia
  2. Samoa
  3. Tonga
  4. Fiji
  5. France
  6. NZ Maori

Group 2

1. New Zealand
  2. England
  3. PNG
  4. Lebanon
  5. Cook Islands
  6. Indigenous Australia

Christ 

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I think it might happen, which is why I included them. "We also want Australia co-hosting as well with the view to creating a unique tournament that respects Indigenous people on both sides of the Tasman and our Pasifika brothers who are such a big part of the game of rugby league."

That said, I’d much rather see what could be a tremendously competitive World Cup than 94-0 drubbings for the sake of including Scotland and Jamaica. I imagine the paying public would too….

I don’t mind it being 12 teams as it will be more competitive. Needs to be 8 quarter finalists from last time plus 4 qualifiers

3 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

More details on the NZ bid, including 12 team preference, which would reduce the cost risk. Games in NZ, Aus and potentially a couple in the islands.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/world-cup-blowouts-about-to-end-with-minnows-removed-from-the-pool-20230518-p5d9i1.html

I suppose we can’t be too choosey considering where we are at. But that sounds thoroughly underwhelming.