Report: 2025 World Cup on verge of collapse

32 minutes ago, RP London said:

except players were coming out saying that they wanted to play, after that article was written (I dont mean in response to it but just in terms of the timeline)... 

that's not an opinion BTW that's a fact.. it was all gone over at the time.. 

The fact is people wanted to play, the fact is there was time to make the "bubble" work for all invovled, the fact is the NRL didnt engage to try and solve the problem they were just happy to not bother and pull out. The NRL stated that they didnt want players missing the 1st trial match (no matter what has happened since or the sense in the statement that is irrelevant it was made) even when players said they were happy to make themselves available for all pre season and those matches.

They are facts.. interpret them as you will but you cant just make up what you think may have happened when the facts go against that.. the NRL came to a decision rightly or wrongly and is your opinion on whether you think what they did was ok.. but people will judge you or me for the opinion you come to with the facts, I'm comfortable with that mine is different to yours and you and sports prophet can judge me for that, I am comfortable with that as long as we have all the facts correct and not just making things up to suit your narrative. But it wasnt your decision or sport prophets or the majority of the australian population it was the people at the NRL and they are the ones that accountable for costing the World Cup a lot of money. 

Lol I’m not suggesting the NRL did the right thing! 

All I am saying is that if it did go ahead in 2021 there would of been ‘some’ player withdrawals as a result of the pandemic. I struggle to see how you or anyone would consider that to be some crazy opinion.

Yes, it is a fact that some individual players said they wanted to play however that is not evidence to suggest that there would not of been withdrawals from the WC.

36 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Lol I’m not suggesting the NRL did the right thing! 

All I am saying is that if it did go ahead in 2021 there would of been ‘some’ player withdrawals as a result of the pandemic. I struggle to see how you or anyone would consider that to be some crazy opinion.

Yes, it is a fact that some individual players said they wanted to play however that is not evidence to suggest that there would not of been withdrawals from the WC.

you said there would have been a "huge number of withdrawls" meaning the comp was "half baked".. yet there is no evidence for that whatsover.. it is just you guessing and making an argument for "whats the point then, may as well postpone".. 

the evidence shows support for it from the players. there are always "some player withdrawls" from internationals, and you are now saying there would only have been "some" which is very different to "huge number of", and you live with personal choice thats fine... the majority of players had no issue so there is no evidence there would have been any more than there normally are.. 

The NRL hid behind COVID when it was a purely selfish move around disruption to the 2022 pre season and it cost the 2021 world cup a lot of money in doing so for no valid reason. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RP London said:

you said there would have been a "huge number of withdrawls" meaning the comp was "half baked".. yet there is no evidence for that whatsover.. it is just you guessing and making an argument for "whats the point then, may as well postpone".. 

the evidence shows support for it from the players. there are always "some player withdrawls" from internationals, and you are now saying there would only have been "some" which is very different to "huge number of", and you live with personal choice thats fine... the majority of players had no issue so there is no evidence there would have been any more than there normally are.. 

The NRL hid behind COVID when it was a purely selfish move around disruption to the 2022 pre season and it cost the 2021 world cup a lot of money in doing so for no valid reason. 

The ‘evidence’ your using is quotes from a select handful of players which represents a very, very small % of the circa 150 NRL based World Cup participants. 

Where’s your ‘evidence’ that ‘the majority of players had no issue’ and that withdrawal rate would of been similar to say 2022?

Feel free to share quotes from the New Zealand Warriors players about being so excited to continue being away from home and loved ones for another 8 weeks plus hotel quarantining for 2 weeks on the way home (after being away from home for the previous 18 months). I assume that they were incredibly grateful the competition was postponed 12 months!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AB90 said:

The ‘evidence’ your using is quotes from a select handful of players which represents a very, very small % of the circa 150 NRL based World Cup participants. 

Where’s your ‘evidence’ that ‘the majority of players had no issue’ and that withdrawal rate would of been similar to say 2022?

Feel free to share quotes from the New Zealand Warriors players about being so excited to continue being away from home and loved ones for another 8 weeks plus hotel quarantining for 2 weeks on the way home (after being away from home for the previous 18 months). I assume that they were incredibly grateful the competition was postponed 12 months!

I never said they were excited.. 

As has been said throughout all the evidence is on the other thread as it came in.. 

IIRC the RLPA (so not a small %age) were quoted numerous times and there are articles about players saying they would switch allegiance to be able to play if it went ahead without Aus and NZ... but as I say its all there in one place for you to go through. I am secure in what I am saying as I remember the conversations about it.. but if you want to check go for your life. 

Edited by RP London
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/05/2023 at 23:01, Sports Prophet said:

And this is where you and so many others are simply incorrect. The tournament organisers did not have any such restriction of movement on players.  They openly stated that players will be free to mix with the communities and go to shops and cafes.

That is probably the most fundamental reason why they did not tour.

Again claiming the actions of other nations in other sports is futile to the argument, because you don’t know what each of those sports and bodies had set as restrictions to community contact.

You have highlighted the exact argument why the NRL refused to come.

Easy to say “well the NRL could just lockdown their players if they were so concerned”. Well no. The players had been locked down for the entire season and were the first professional sports people back on deck, due to the extremely stringent protocols the NRL had in place. I can’t begrudge the NRL for not putting the very best players under those restrictions, away from families, for another 8 weeks, on the other side of the world, when they had been living those lives for 6 months already.

So just to clear this up players didn’t come because there was no restrictions on their movement. Whilst also not coming because the NRL didn’t want to keep restrictions on their movement. 

1 hour ago, Jim from Oz said:

Thanks for the link, sounds promising. The sooner this is sorted out the better;  

“Samoa haven’t played a home test since 2016, while Tonga last played at home in 2007 and Fiji haven’t hosted a test for 23 years.”

• Like 1

Just had a quick read and it’s a very exciting prospect they’re outlining there.

I guess the big question is would sporting politics block NZ govt investment in it?

By this I mean would some people see it as a threat to RU supremacy and not see votes in it for them anyway.

I have no idea really so maybe one of our New Zealand based contributors can shed light on my concerns.

In conclusion though it seems a fantastic vision.

2 hours ago, Jim from Oz said:

This would be the best possible outcome, especially if there were some games delegated to Australia too.

Just call it RLWC2025 Pacific.

I may even have to start planning the RL trip-of-a-lifetime!

Edited by ChristianB
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

Thanks for the link, sounds promising. The sooner this is sorted out the better;  

“Samoa haven’t played a home test since 2016, while Tonga last played at home in 2007 and Fiji haven’t hosted a test for 23 years.”

Indeed…

1 hour ago, ChristianB said:

This would be the best possible outcome, especially if there were some games delegated to Australia too.

Just call it RLWC2025 Pacific.

I may even have to start planning the RL trip-of-a-lifetime!

I wouldn’t have any in Australia if possible, given the distain they show for the World Cup. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bobbruce said:

So just to clear this up players didn’t come because there was no restrictions on their movement. Whilst also not coming because the NRL didn’t want to keep restrictions on their movement. 

Not exactly. The players didn’t come because there was no World Cup to play in.

There was no WC to play in because it was re-scheduled.

The WC was rescheduled because the organisers didn’t want to proceed without Australia and New Zealand, whose governing bodies refused to send teams.

One of the reasons why there was no Kangaroos team was because the players had been under strict conditions of isolation for an extended period of time and did not want to unnecessarily extend that period for another 2 months.

56 minutes ago, Jparrish said:

Great stuff, hope we see it. This could really take advantage of A: the recent rise of pacific nations 

B: The decline of rugby in NZ 

Also frees up Australia hosting alone in 2029 

Just how do you envision it taking advantage then?  To put it another way, what advantage is there to be gained from the rise of such tiny, insignificant nations?

5 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Just how do you envision it taking advantage then?  To put it another way, what advantage is there to be gained from the rise of such tiny, insignificant nations?

It gives more competitive internationals, creating the potential for some great international tournaments, and it increases the player pool for the NRL and to a lesser extent even Super League.

It can also only help to strengthen the NRL and game in Australia, New Zealand and PNG by further making the PI diaspora fans and RL players, as we have seen to some degree already, and cement the NRLs place as the Premier rugby competition bar none.

• Like 2

Sounds great. The draw would need manipulation of sorts to give Fiji, Samoa, Tonga and PNG as many home games as possible. Perhaps even host France matches in New Caledonia. Not sure what facilities are there.

South Pacific RLWC. I think you still want Kangaroos against any non-Pacific nation played in Australia though. To give the tournament more opportunity to financially succeed.

25 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Those tiny insignificant islands contribute to over 40 percent of the NRLs player pool. Not sure what the percentage is for super rugby but bet its pretty high. One of those tiny insignificant countries (Fiji)have produced gold winning 7s teams so surely you'd agree there's a plethora of talent to be tapped into and converted if the pathways are there.

Having previously lived in NZ I can also tell you there are big pacific islands communities. Who could be so easily converted from union fans to RL if they are regularly seeing there team play internationals. 

You need to see the bigger picture 

Edited by Jparrish
Pi
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I wouldn’t have any in Australia if possible, given the distain they show for the World Cup. 

disdain “unworthy of consideration or respect”.  They sent their best players half way round the world after a long season and saw them dominate the tournament to win the trophy yet again.

49 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Lads from those tiny insignificant (your word) nations choosing to play League instead of Union. 

19 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

disdain “unworthy of consideration or respect”.  They sent their best players half way round the world after a long season and saw them dominate the tournament to win the trophy yet again.

After not bothering to come the year before. 

31 minutes ago, Damien said:

It gives more competitive internationals, creating the potential for some great international tournaments, and it increases the player pool for the NRL and to a lesser extent even Super League.

It can also only help to strengthen the NRL and game in Australia, New Zealand and PNG by further making the PI diaspora fans and RL players, as we have seen to some degree already, and cement the NRLs place as the Premier rugby competition bar none.

Stop taking sense will you.