TV Deal to conclude end of June

58 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Well, well, well. Very interesting since the £40 million deal came off the back of BT interest at the time (or alternatively because of the revolutionary league structure).

Nigel's cheerleader would say so 🤣

• Haha 2

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

19 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Plus the diversity of being in partnership with an explosive company….or have I read that wrong?

That sort of lame joke is likely to blow up in your face 💣 💥

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

If TNT offered more, wouldn’t the clubs rather have the higher central payments?

Off course they will.

What i am saying us that in the eyes of most sponsors BT Sport doesn't cut the mustard which is why the RU club comps are dead as the dodo.

6 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Off course they will.

What i am saying us that in the eyes of most sponsors BT Sport doesn't cut the mustard which is why the RU club comps are dead as the dodo.

I'm not sure RL can do any worse in terms of sponsors anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

It is interesting to look at Sky's "rugby" coverage.

From being the home of Super League and international RL matches, then pretty much all domestic RU in the Home Nations and France, the 2 European Cups, Domestic RU in the big 3 southern hemisphere nations and Super Rugby, Summer tours, Autumn internationals, Lions tours, indeed the only RU they didn't have was the Six Nations.

Now they have Super League, the occasional RL mid season international, and for RU its just South African Domestic Rugby, Super Rugby Pacific, and Lions Tours, I assume they still have the NZ Domestic comp but I could be wrong.

Its a really dramatic shift in content.

Yes since Comcast took over they seem to be shifiting to US sports more and more. 

Like do we need a full channel dedicated to the NFL when they only show 4 games a week live.  Makes no sense at all, and you seem to get to sjy sports action is mainly NBA

Don't we literally get the same stories at every contract renewal at the last moment?

Oh BT/TNT/Amazon/whoever are apparently interested - but no indication of any money. 

To be honest, like the DANZ think likely is, it's a planted story designed to scare Sky into upping their offer. TNT probably are interested, but I suspect not so desperate for SL that they'd offer more than Sky 

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Off course they will.

My understanding is that viewing figures for RU on BT Sport have been decent. At least as good as they were on Sky Sports.

2 hours ago, crashmon said:

Yes since Comcast took over they seem to be shifiting to US sports more and more. 

Like do we need a full channel dedicated to the NFL when they only show 4 games a week live.  Makes no sense at all, and you seem to get to sjy sports action is mainly NBA

Other than the NFL and NBA, what other "shifting" to US sports are they doing? (The dedicated NFL channel is probably part of the deal, and gets filled with programming they don't have to make themselves.)

7 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Other than the NFL and NBA, what other "shifting" to US sports are they doing? (The dedicated NFL channel is probably part of the deal, and gets filled with programming they don't have to make themselves.)

They are showing a lot more of those than they used to that's for sure. After Comcast took over it was even noticeable how much airtime these sports started getting even on Sky Sports News.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

The league may not have much but the clubs do.

I'm not sure how much value the sponsors of rugby league clubs get from Sky TV, most of them seem to be local concerns doing things for local reasons. Certainly at the price we sell shirt sponsorship for they've no right to expect much.

I can well imagine rugby union club sponsors like Allianz might prefer & perhaps should expect a larger TV audience for their brand, for the price they pay. Unfortunately for our sport the equation is different. Just another £250k per club in media rights would more than cover most clubs for losing every deal they have! 

• Like 2

i wonder if TNT did get the rights to super league would they take all the commentators and pundits as well.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

2 hours ago, my missus said:

i wonder if TNT did get the rights to super league would they take all the commentators and pundits as well.

God let's hope not!

• Like 2

I don’t think any broadcasters will be competing for Sky for the main package unless BT or maybe Amazon got involved. I think Sahara most likely is Sky get their usual 2/3 games a week and other broadcasters pick up the remaining games. I see that as being the ideal scenario. 

43 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I don’t think any broadcasters will be competing for Sky for the main package unless BT or maybe Amazon got involved. I think Sahara most likely is Sky get their usual 2/3 games a week and other broadcasters pick up the remaining games. I see that as being the ideal scenario. 

TNT is the new name for BT. So I think they would be looking for primary rights rather than secondary. 

Of course, if any of this interest is true. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

TNT is the new name for BT. So I think they would be looking for primary rights rather than secondary. 

Of course, if any of this interest is true. 

Right didn’t know that. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Damien said:

They are showing a lot more of those than they used to that's for sure. After Comcast took over it was even noticeable how much airtime these sports started getting even on Sky Sports News.

It may be more but it's not much and certainly not live. The only sports they could fill - and even then not really - 'prime' schedules with here are NCAA sports and baseball, and BT/TNT appear to have those rights locked up. The USFL rights presumably came with their NFL deal, they didn't show XFL and most NBA/NHL starts at 1am UK time.

The dedicated NFL channel runs for five months of the year.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

28 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It may be more but it's not much and certainly not live. The only sports they could fill - and even then not really - 'prime' schedules with here are NCAA sports and baseball, and BT/TNT appear to have those rights locked up. The USFL rights presumably came with their NFL deal, they didn't show XFL and most NBA/NHL starts at 1am UK time.

The dedicated NFL channel runs for five months of the year.

Its 5 months more than the dedicated RL channel though.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Its 5 months more than the dedicated RL channel though.

For now.

You should see the deal we're gonna get.

• Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)