Leigh and Salford joint top.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

You are the one making claims. From what I've been told you are talking rubbish.

Looking at this objectively I think most people would find it hard to believe that Wigan had to offer more than Leigh to stop French leaving for various reasons. French is happy at Wigan, Wigan are a bigger club, Leigh had only just won promotion, Leigh have been relegated everytime they have been in Super League and Beaumont is erratic and hasn't the best reputation when it come to looking after relegated players.

As such Leigh would have had to offer much more than Wigan to tempt French to leave. Not the other way round.

As I said at the beginning of this debate, the rumours around Leigh was that French was offered a 7 figure sum for 3 years, now if all those things you claim are correct and French was happy to stay at Wigan for less then fair play, I have not made that up Damien, it was you who said "There is not a chance Wigan had to better any offer from Leigh to keep French" I just wanted to know if that was a fact you knew or what you believed to be true. The way you have termed this reply tells me answer.

2 hours ago, Leonard said:

Imagine IMGs faces at a Leigh v Salford Grand Final. 

IMG would be overjoyed wouldn't they? That in the season they have only published their intentions and not yet put into practise two unfancied clubs have grasped their objective and resolutions with the determination, desire and ambitions that IMG are hoping that comes to fruition. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

As I said at the beginning of this debate, the rumours around Leigh was that French was offered a 7 figure sum for 3 years, now if all those things you claim are correct and French was happy to stay at Wigan for less then fair play, I have not made that up Damien, it was you who said "There is not a chance Wigan had to better any offer from Leigh to keep French" I just wanted to know if that was a fact you knew or what you believed to be true. The way you have termed this reply tells me answer.

You made a claim, it's up to you to back up that claim not for me to disprove it. If you can't and made it up then that's fine.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

IMG would be overjoyed wouldn't they? That in the season they have only published their intentions and not yet put into practise two unfancied clubs have grasped their objective and resolutions with the determination, desire and ambitions that IMG are hoping that comes to fruition. 

Take that, IMG!

We are doing exactly what we need to do to score highly in the criteria we voted to approve and which if more clubs did then the sport would be in a lot better shape.

• Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

But for that bhugger Ryan Brierley who was the difference in the two Leigh  Salford games, Leigh could be sitting very pretty at the moment.

Yer not doing that bad lol.

28 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I have told you I did not make that up and I find it offensive that you question that.

To be fair - you did the same to me the other day and then did a Houdini when I proved it.

Just saying.

4 hours ago, Leonard said:

Imagine IMGs faces at a Leigh v Salford Grand Final. 

Imagine mine and Gubrat's!

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

16 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Imagine mine and Gubrat's!

Ha !

Don't worry - I wouldn't need to imagine, I could pick you both out in the middle of the empty stand 😀

4 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Ha !

Don't worry - I wouldn't need to imagine, I could pick you both out in the middle of the empty stand 😀

How very dare you! 🙂

Edited by tonyXIII

4 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

How very dare you! 🙂

Well, I bought my GF tickets already - so there will be 3 of us.

Something for IMG to build on.

3 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Well, I bought my GF tickets already - so there will be 3 of us.

Something for IMG to build on.

Something about strong foundations.

12 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Something about strong foundations.

And a third will be from the south - so appealing to a diverse location of fans.

i think we have cracked it.

2 hours ago, Leonard said:

To be fair - you did the same to me the other day and then did a Houdini when I proved it.

Just saying.

No I didn't, as I said to you I believed you were talking about SL broadcasts, but I did not make anything up, so just say want you want and piff off.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Unbelievable seasons for both teams. And despite the doom and gloom merchants one look at the table and you can see that Superleague is a very competitive league. We're set for a great finish to the season 

After which Saints will be Champions again, destroying all our optimism.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

No I didn't, as I said to you I believed you were talking about SL broadcasts, but I did not make anything up, so just say want you want and piff off.

Yes you did. But whatever.

On 10/06/2023 at 10:15, Davo5 said:

Assembling a squad at huge expense is a remarkable effort from the club’s owner,Lam’s done a good job but remarkable ??

It only takes a period of poor form for coaches to become enemy no.1 with fans, Leigh and Salford are going great, fun to watch at times but I daresay it will only take a hiccup and a run of bad results and performances for the fans to turn against them.

Watto could do no wrong with Giants fans come March this year but it's soon turned now with many fans now completely against him.

I remember Wakefield fans lauding Chris Chester as some kind of brilliant coach but it soon turned sour there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

The gate of course - you're not going to sell out Old Trafford with that combination.

But then look at the positives, isn't the idea of IMG's partnership to raise the profile of the sport and to help the individual clubs raise their profiles, surely this would help, 2 unfancied sides beating the odds and the big guns to get to a showcase final?

It also shows how 2 unfancied teams who work hard (spend lots of money in Leigh's case) recruit the right people and find the right balance in their teams (something both clubs have failed to do in the past), giving hope to other clubs to get things right and not just muddle along doing the bare minimum, and challenging the status quo.

I would say it would be a massive boost for what IMG, RL commercial et al are trying to do with the sport.

And let's be honest, Wigan, Warrington, Saints and Leeds don't sell Old Trafford out on their own.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

The gate of course - you're not going to sell out Old Trafford with that combination.

But for those who like to see Rugby League Football played fast flowing it would be a godsend and should fill the place out, or we could have Wigans style of play where they put 4 men in every tackle two off which just lean on their own player to slow the game right down, if you don't believe me just watch the game this coming weekend.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, meast said:

But then look at the positives, isn't the idea of IMG's partnership to raise the profile of the sport and to help the individual clubs raise their profiles, surely this would help, 2 unfancied sides beating the odds and the big guns to get to a showcase final?

It also shows how 2 unfancied teams who work hard (spend lots of money in Leigh's case) recruit the right people and find the right balance in their teams (something both clubs have failed to do in the past), giving hope to other clubs to get things right and not just muddle along doing the bare minimum, and challenging the status quo.

I would say it would be a massive boost for what IMG, RL commercial et al are trying to do with the sport.

And let's be honest, Wigan, Warrington, Saints and Leeds don't sell Old Trafford out on their own.

True enough and I wouldn't disagree, but what I'm thinking of is the reaction of the people who run (sic!) the game - the sort that told the French clubs that they'd have to post a bond if they wanted to play in the Cup. I'd get a seriously long (and probably justified ban) if I posted what I think of them!

1 hour ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

We've not sold out it out for a while anyway. I think you may be pleasantly surprised anyway, Salford took a fair old following the last time they was in a Grand Final and if Leigh got there I'd say they'd take a fair old number, everyone from the town including those that don't normally go, will go.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Damien said:

We've not sold out it out for a while anyway. I think you may be pleasantly surprised anyway, Salford took a fair old following the last time they was in a Grand Final and if Leigh got there I'd say they'd take a fair old number, everyone from the town including those that don't normally go, will go.

Salford would do so. No doubt.

We'd no doubt also see Mr Fred Bet roll in to Old T, citing his Solly-ness quicker than MCFC supporters clubs have bloomed in rural Ireland in the last few years.