could Russel Crowe do a lot more to promote the whole game?

an A list actor with a rough hard image  who is worth a whopping 130m dollars - not asking for his money but could he do a lot more to promote the game on the world stage or even just the UK to start with? we all know about his Souths connection but what about the sport as a whole?  a couple of TV advertisements with him ranting about the greatest game could do wonders for starters and take a couple of hours of his time to film - ok he may take a couple of other A listers to the odd game but thats not really helping - if I was in his position (someone people would listen to)with such an obvious love for the game -I would be doing all I  could at every opportunity to get in the face of the public and spread the game 

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Russell Crowe is also a massive Leeds United fan, and it didn't help them. 😀😆

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/leeds-united-take-home-russell-16758214

thats already a world sport though and doesn't need his input

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

an A list actor with a rough hard image  who is worth a whopping 130m dollars - not asking for his money but could he do a lot more to promote the game on the world stage or even just the UK to start with? we all know about his Souths connection but what about the sport as a whole?  a couple of TV advertisements with him ranting about the greatest game could do wonders for starters and take a couple of hours of his time to film - ok he may take a couple of other A listers to the odd game but thats not really helping - if I was in his position (someone people would listen to)with such an obvious love for the game -I would be doing all I  could at every opportunity to get in the face of the public and spread the game 

How much would you pay him to do it? 

• Like 1

People like Crowe don't undermine their commercial value by doing ads for free. 

And "having him ranting about TGG" doesn't really do anything of value. What the game needs is a narrative that people, like Crowe, can tell with enthusiasm and can enthuse others. 

It's the same principle with the people who complain that Sky doesn't promote RL enough - Sky are not the game's PR agency. If the game wants more airtime on Sky or more money from Sky, it needs to do more to deserve that sort of attention and investment. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

How much would you pay him to do it? 

if I was him I wouldnt want a penny - why would I? The privilege to be in that position and promote TGG would be gratification enough

8 minutes ago, Jughead said:

No. He’s not employed to do so. 

theres such a thing of doing things off your back in the cause of something you love 

2 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

What happened to the film about The Welsh RU player Thomas who was allegedly due to play for Celtic Crusaders RL?

Russell Crowe was to play the lead role at 59?

Or did I imagine it?

It was Mickey Rourke attached to star, but it never got off the ground as far as i'm aware

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

theres such a thing of doing things off your back in the cause of something you love 

I reckon Russell Crowe is a bit busy, y’know? 

The game shouldn’t be relying on personalities to promote the game themselves and should be doing it themselves rather than hoping people do their job for them.

2 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I reckon Russell Crowe is a bit busy, y’know? 

The game shouldn’t be relying on personalities to promote the game themselves and should be doing it themselves rather than hoping people do their job for them.

the "GAME" is ####### mate and it needs a helping hand from any direction 

1 minute ago, Gomersall said:

Crowe has never, to my knowledge, promoted RL unless it’s Souths related. I doubt much will change any time soon.

but why? thats my point? if he is so passionate about souths then he is passionate about the game as a whole surely

Would he even be aware the game needs promoting? he's well known, his club is well known in his country where the game is very popular, is he going to be knowledgeable about the games popularity on a world wide scale?

Probably have better luck with Keith Mason now he's a Hollywood star!!

5 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

Before asking if Russell Crowe could “do more” I would recommend asking:

1. What exactly would you like to see RC do and where and how?

2. Does the NRL, IRL or any other body for that matter actually want or need an unauthorised individual randomly promoting the sport on a mass scale? What if Rusty loves shoulder charges and wants them back in the game. What if he wants to bring back the biff and starts promoting no sin bins for fighting?

3. Finally, is RC free to do the proposed activity or is that a task which would require the approval/authorisation from someone else, such as the NRL?

I think you will find that Rusty does a very good job of promoting the sport within his means.

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

but why? thats my point? if he is so passionate about souths then he is passionate about the game as a whole surely

Tell that to the thousands of North Sydney fans who walked away from RL.