Fri 23rd Sun 25th Jun: The Betfred League One Match Thread

Discuss this weekend's Betfred League One games here.

FRIDAY 23rd JUNE 
Dewsbury Rams v Oldham KO 19:30 

SUNDAY 25th JUNE
North Wales Crusaders v Hunslet KO 14:30
Workington Town v Midlands Hurricanes KO 15:00

Rams, Cru, Town

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Three home wins.

Please note: North Wales Crusaders (perhaps we should change our name to Wanderers!!) will be playing this game AND the next two home games (2nd July and 16th July) at Chester RUFC, Hare Lane, Gilden Sutton, Chester CH3 7DB

We've played there before and its a lovely stadium.....and not that far from North Wales...I'm sure we can bend the border for a few weeks!!

Dewsbury 34 v 18 Oldham
North Wales Crusaders 28 v 18 Hunslet
Workington 42 v 24 Midlands Hurricanes

Tough away trip for Canes to pick themselves up after last week's battering. Hopefully some magic has been worked by Mark Dunning.

4 hours ago, Rene_Artois said:

Is it worth booking hotel in Colwyn Bay for the Doncaster game?

Sorry to be a pest but a weekend there is as close as I can manage to a summer hol 🙂

I don't think anyone can give you a definite answer.

We do have another home game, against Cornwall, on 30th July. It's only a week before the Doncaster game, but once the venue is confirmed you should have your answer.

Sorry it's not much help to you, but this situation is out of our hands and we are dependent on the council getting their act together.

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

12 hours ago, fearnowt said:

I don't think anyone can give you a definite answer.

We do have another home game, against Cornwall, on 30th July. It's only a week before the Doncaster game, but once the venue is confirmed you should have your answer.

Sorry it's not much help to you, but this situation is out of our hands and we are dependent on the council getting their act together.

Thanks for the reply. We'll keep an eye out

22 hours ago, Rene_Artois said:

Is it worth booking hotel in Colwyn Bay for the Doncaster game?

Sorry to be a pest but a weekend there is as close as I can manage to a summer hol 🙂

I'd love to say "yes" with some certainty but unfortunately they way things have been going at Eirias Park I can't do that. All I can say is our next 3 games will be in Chester RUFC. The pitch at Eirias Park looked finished when I went to watch the Womens game on 11th June...and was supposed to be signed off on Wednesday 14th for insurance purposes. I'm not really sure what the hold-up is. Its very frustrating for home and away fans and even more so for our Directors having to find alternative venues after being promised so much by Eirias Park and Conwy Council.

Well, that was a fairly nasty day at our latest venue. After going in 16-6 up at half time and looking reasonably comfortable, the Cru promptly imploded in the second half leaking four tries with only a consolation one right on the whistle (second game in a row with apparently no timekeeper). What was particularly depressing was the inability to change tactics when it was obvious that our standard scheme of just bludgeoning down the middle using our biggest forwards and hoping that the opposition cracks had been worked out by Hunslet - surely there's a plan 'B'!

I was very disappointed with the game too Steve. We weren’t going to bulldoze through them and when we threw the ball about we scored. We should have scored another two tries in that first half as well. The only consolation was the usual good craic with their supporters.

21 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Well, that was a fairly nasty day at our latest venue. After going in 16-6 up at half time and looking reasonably comfortable, the Cru promptly imploded in the second half leaking four tries with only a consolation one right on the whistle (second game in a row with apparently no timekeeper). What was particularly depressing was the inability to change tactics when it was obvious that our standard scheme of just bludgeoning down the middle using our biggest forwards and hoping that the opposition cracks had been worked out by Hunslet - surely there's a plan 'B'!

I though we stopped looking after the ball and trying to force passes or offloads that weren't on....Whatever happened we certainly weren't at the races in the second half and Hunslet had a comfortable win in the end.

League 1 now looks like two distinct halfs --- and were in the bottom bit!