Wed 28th Jun-Sun 2nd Jul: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

1 hour ago, Expatknight said:

Fax are still a very good side and unlike some teams that have come here this season ,Sheffield to name one , they do come to play rugby, they  let themselves down a bit today with some cynical high shots but that was probably down to a bit of frustration , for a neutral it would have been a good game to watch and as a Knights fan it was just what we needed after the run we have had.

The Sheffield game where York had a player sent off and subsequently banned?

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

9 hours ago, tim2 said:

The Sheffield game where York had a player sent off and subsequently banned?

It's an internet forum Tim.

Folk often post untenable views.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

12 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Fair play to York I don't think many would have seen that result coming and they totally out enthused a Fax team that put in a typical performance for their season and looked like the team that had played Wednesday night. I can't see Simon Grix been there too long after today, he has turned a team that looked quality for the most of last season in to a total shambles and it can't be a coincidence that it has been downhill since his brother Scott and Liam Finn left.

I certainly saw that coming. As disappointed as i was with the result and performance it was tempered somewhat with a small wager on York with 14 points start. Easy money unfortunately. 🙄

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Simon Hall said:

I expect he was never gonna give up or let them down. 

Sorry S  but  Rick Astley quotes are not allowed on this forum.

YOU  know the rules, and so do I

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

15 hours ago, RBKnight said:

Well deserved victory for the Knights against Fax, and a good game. A few mutinous voices regarding Mr Grix's position being voiced by Fax fans on the bus leaving the ground......

There certainly was a few disgruntled Fax fans on that bus and rightly so. Time to go for SG. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Ovenden Grunt said:

There certainly was a few disgruntled Fax fans on that bus and rightly so. Time to go for SG. 

Is it just a blip ? Yer knocked us out of the cup albeit a while ago.

14 hours ago, Yorks Tim said:

I don't think Browny is a Canes fan so your stupid comment won't bother him.

Also Mark Dunning would appear to be having a very positive effect on Midlands though judging by today's performance against division leaders Dewsbury. Will be looking forward to his side facing Keighley next year.

Oh,I didn't think it stupid.Silly me.

It was nice of Browny,a follower of an elite club,to show an interest in the plebs.

I thought I would steer him away from the suggestion that Daryl Powell has unfinished business at Keighley. 

I musta failed...

I do wish Messrs Squires,and Dunning,well.Both of whom were on friendly terms with Rhys Lovegrove. 

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

18 hours ago, Yorks Tim said:

I don't think Browny is a Canes fan so your stupid comment won't bother him.

Also Mark Dunning would appear to be having a very positive effect on Midlands though judging by today's performance against division leaders Dewsbury. Will be looking forward to his side facing Keighley next year.

Mark Dunning and Leigh Beattie have masterminded the Bulls Academy teams over the past five years. A load of those boys were not given a fair crack. The telephone could be ringing.

• Like 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

The Bulls played the best rugby we have seen in years (by our team anyway!).

Two away games coming up ... Widnes and Whitehaven. Probable Wins on paper but loseable...especially as I can't see many of our fans making either trip.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

9 hours ago, Ovenden Grunt said:

I certainly saw that coming. As disappointed as i was with the result and performance it was tempered somewhat with a small wager on York with 14 points start. Easy money unfortunately. 🙄

Backing against your own team 🙈🙈🙈

Any witnesses to Swinton's great victory against Sheffield ? I certainly didn't see that one coming, and the bare report in LE doesn't give much of a clue about what when wrong for the Eagles.

Waiting with bated breath for a five minute Tubby Ashton spectacular to be posted on YouTube.......

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RBKnight said:

Any witnesses to Swinton's great victory against Sheffield ? I certainly didn't see that one coming, and the bare report in LE doesn't give much of a clue about what when wrong for the Eagles.

Waiting with bated breath for a five minute Tubby Ashton spectacular to be posted on YouTube.......

He gave the credit to Swinton.

Horribly inconsistent across games and even within them.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

11 minutes ago, tim2 said:

He gave the credit to Swinton.

Horribly inconsistent across games and even within them.

Swinton were great in the second half. 96% completion. I've no idea why they're struggling near the bottom of the table.

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Swinton were great in the second half. 96% completion. I've no idea why they're struggling near the bottom of the table.

York completed at 100% in the second half against Halifax and are in a similar position.

Just shows how competitive/inconsistent the Championship is this year.

• Like 3

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

24 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

Agreed, but one thing that is really standing out is just how hard it is in the Championship to make that step from top 6 contender to genuine and undisputed top 2 team.

Halifax have been banging on this door for years and although for 2 or 3 years now they sem to have made what look like improvements at the start of each season in terms of recruitment, they aren't really any further forward. A lot of Fax fans are blaming it on their coach, maybe there's something in that but I don't think anyone should understimate just how hard it is to make that next step forward, and Richard Marshall struggled with the same problem.

Similarly York did remarkably well when they were promoted a few years ago but haven't been able to kick on despite some high-profile signings, and Toulouse, Sheffield and Bradford have flirted with looking like a top 2 team this year but have struggled with consistency. Meanwhile Batley continue to be the benchmark team in terms of being a good marker for everyone else to know where they are at, Batley have done what Batley do once again and some of the supposedly more upwardly mobile teams haven't distanced themselves from them.

Keighley appeared to throw money at being a top 6 team this year and have fallen well short and now seem to have rowed back considerably with a number of their higher-profile players having left the club for one reason or another.

And even my team Fev, although the table makes us look the dominant team, we were deservedly beaten by Halifax in the cup and Toulouse in the league and have had to work hard on other occasions. I don't think we have been dominant in the same sense that Leigh were last year, Toulouse the year before or Toronto a couple of years earlier.

Most of the teams I've mentioned have had discontent from their fans at some stage this season but it really is exceptionally hard to build a top 2 Championship  team, let alone a SL-ready one, on the current Championship budgets.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Simon Hall said:

York completed at 100% in the second half against Halifax and are in a similar position.

Absolutely.  Nobody's immune.  It's an exciting league.

On 03/07/2023 at 14:42, Wolford6 said:

The Bulls played the best rugby we have seen in years (by our team anyway!).

Two away games coming up ... Widnes and Whitehaven. Probable Wins on paper but loseable...especially as I can't see many of our fans making either trip.

Widnes ...easy...just make sure Millar doesn't get the ball

• Like 1