Fri 30th Jun: SL: Wigan Warriors v Huddersfield Giants KO 20:00

Who will win?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Huddersfield Giants

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/06/23 at 19:30

7 minutes ago, DG70 said:

Think the only danger for Wigan in this one is themselves and complacency, Huddersfield are getting to the stage where it might be time to cut ties with the coach.

I'm of the majority who think a lot of the blame is on the players and to give Watto chance to sort it out, be it this season or next.

I really hope Rugby League doesn't go down the football route of sacking coaches who don't bring instant success, in Ian's case he was brought in on a 5 year plan of which this is his 3rd, if it's not improved in 12 months then maybe i could be swayed to make a change but for now the players HAVE to hae some more pride and effort in their work.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, daz39 said:

I'm of the majority who think a lot of the blame is on the players and to give Watto chance to sort it out, be it this season or next.

I really hope Rugby League doesn't go down the football route of sacking coaches who don't bring instant success, in Ian's case he was brought in on a 5 year plan of which this is his 3rd, if it's not improved in 12 months then maybe i could be swayed to make a change but for now the players HAVE to hae some more pride and effort in their work.

Genuine question, do you think Simon Woolford or Rick Stone should have been given more time? Because Watson has had more games in charge than either of those now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

What do you reckon the crowd will be ? 

About 12 thousand. Which is more than the record at the LSV. The record that was a freebie !. I say laughing at Leigh.

1 hour ago, LeytherRob said:

Genuine question, do you think Simon Woolford or Rick Stone should have been given more time? Because Watson has had more games in charge than either of those now.

With Rick yes i believe 'fan pressure' lost him his job, he wasn't given a fair crack to sort the squad out in my opinion, 'Germ' was totally different though, he was a fantastic bloke, a mate to all the lads but that was the issue, he didn't work the players enough and was way too unprofessional to coach a SL team.

Ian Watson is different again, we head hunted him for a lot of money to basically come in and strip the walls bare and start again, it wasn't and still isn't about winning trophies it's about changing the mentality and attitude of the club, he did this pretty well in his 1st year in which we saw the benefit last year but there was still work to be done, clearly some people still here have slipped back into old ways or have yet to buy into what he wants to do, he is clearly frustrated too as he thought he'd got on top of the stuff we are seeing now.

I will not judge Ian Watson on how many trophies or games he wins i will judge him on where he leaves the club be it tomorrow or in 10 years, we have been very poor as a club on and off the field for a decade bar last year, maybe last year was a fluke who knows?.

You will not find a more dedicated rugby league man than Ian Watson, the guy is geek level and i love listening or speaking to him, you can't help but feel he will sort it out and i will be massivley disappointed if the club decide to dispose of him without giving him time to see the job through as it was them who brought him in to sort this mess out.

It will also be a complete waste of 3 years of time and money as we will be back to square 1 with the same players if we did get rid. 

Edited by daz39
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, daz39 said:

With Rick yes i believe 'fan pressure' lost him his job, he wasn't given a fair crack to sort the squad out in my opinion, 'Germ' was totally different though, he was a fantastic bloke, a mate to all the lads but that was the issue, he didn't work the players enough and was way too unprofessional to coach a SL team.

Ian Watson is different again, we head hunted him for a lot of money to basically come in and strip the walls bare and start again, it wasn't and still isn't about winning trophies it's about changing the mentality and attitude of the club, he did this pretty well in his 1st year in which we saw the benefit last year but there was still work to be done, clearly some people still here have slipped back into old ways or have yet to buy into what he wants to do, he is clearly frustrated too as he thought he'd got on top of the stuff we are seeing now.

I will not judge Ian Watson on how many trophies or games he wins i will judge him on where he leaves the club be it tomorrow or in 10 years, we have been very poor as a club on and off the field for a decade bar last year, maybe last year was a fluke who knows?.

You will not find a more dedicated rugby league man than Ian Watson, the guy is geek level and i will be massivley disappointed if the club decide to dispose of him without giving him time to see the job through as it was them who brought him in to sort this mess out.

It will also be a complete waste of 3 years of time and money as we will be back to square 1 with the same players if we did get rid. 

Just write off this season. Start again next. I like Watson. And all his staff. Give him time. He will get it right. I admire Huddersfield. Brilliant in their community work. 

• Like 3

I don’t think we’ll be complacent because we’ve lost too many games now to think anything is a freebie. Huddersfield must turn up with more vigour this week, after that showing at Leeds. I don’t think it’ll be a scoreline like last week but I’d expect us to get the job done. 

Wigan by 18

4 minutes ago, Cw25 said:

Just write off this season. Start again next. I like Watson. And all his staff. Give him time. He will get it right. I admire Huddersfield. Brilliant in their community work. 

We have to, as long as Wakefield don't decide to start playing.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, daz39 said:

We have to, as long as Wakefield don't decide to start playing.

So thats what we are down to is it then Daz  after two and a half seasons and a fortune in Rugby league terms we are down to hoping to survive by hoping another team don't win.

The last good coach we had was Nathan Brown you could see the players improving, practically on a weekly basis, I am struggling to see a single player that has improved under Watson, Last season we had one of the best packs in the league but the style of football we played meant that they scored more tries than the backs, not working this year is it and there is no plan B.

Any side who have a bit of pace at all just run us ragged as we have seen many games this season, Our halves are just not up to it and some of the men Watson has brought in beggar belief , If we can drag them into a game of attrition we give ourselves the best chance , if we cant they just kill us with speed..

We have gone backwards from last season playing the same style ( because we don't have the skills to play any other) If you think it's all part of this 5 year plan fair enough you are entitled to your opinion,myself i think he is struggling, hopefully i'm wrong and K Davy isn't a man who sacks people without easily so i don't expect Watson to be going anywhere but i really hope we see some improvement soon otherwise he is going to be paying people to watch

)

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

2 minutes ago, GIANTSTRIDES said:

So thats what we are down to is it then Daz  after two and a half seasons and a fortune in Rugby league terms we are down to hoping to survive by hoping another team don't win.

The last good coach we had was Nathan Brown you could see the players improving, practically on a weekly basis, I am struggling to see a single player that has improved under Watson, Last season we had one of the best packs in the league but the style of football we played meant that they scored more tries than the backs, not working this year is it and there is no plan B.

Any side who have a bit of pace at all just run us ragged as we have seen many games this season, Our halves are just not up to it and some of the men Watson has brought in beggar belief , If we can drag them into a game of attrition we give ourselves the best chance , if we cant they just kill us with speed..

We have gone backwards from last season playing the same style ( because we don't have the skills to play any other) If you think it's all part of this 5 year plan fair enough you are entitled to your opinion,myself i think he is struggling, hopefully i'm wrong and K Davy isn't a man who sacks people without easily so i don't expect Watson to be going anywhere but i really hope we see some improvement soon otherwise he is going to be paying people to watch

)

It was said more tongue in cheek, i know exactly what our issues are, i see them every weekend.

We have zero pace which means we won't be a threat in attack and also that any team who do have any will burn us once they get the ball through our porous defence.

2 minutes ago, daz39 said:

It was said more tongue in cheek, i know exactly what our issues are, i see them every weekend.

We have zero pace which means we won't be a threat in attack and also that any team who do have any will burn us once they get the ball through our porous defence.

Maybe our views are not so different after all then , Possible just on the way to cure it🙂

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

5 hours ago, GIANTSTRIDES said:

Maybe our views are not so different after all then , Possible just on the way to cure it🙂

You’ve recalled Fenton Rodgers which leaves us a little light. He has been consistent in the Championship probably getting 7/10 or 8/10 most weeks. Whether that translates back to SL, who knows?

On 27/06/2023 at 19:46, daz39 said:

You will not find a more dedicated rugby league man than Ian Watson, the guy is geek level and i love listening or speaking to him, you can't help but feel he will sort it out and i will be massivley disappointed if the club decide to dispose of him without giving him time to see the job through as it was them who brought him in to sort this mess out.

Bingo!

Absolutely nailed it there!

• Like 1