Fri 30th Jun: SL: Leigh Leopards v Hull Kingston Rovers KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leigh Leopards
    • Hull Kingston Rovers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/06/23 at 19:30

12 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

I will put things in perspective for you. There are 22000 houses in Leigh compared to 105000 in WN 1-6. The Smiley face puts things into perspective the respect I have for Wigan I have as a club and as a team. 

Im not Einstein, but Central Park, (sorry) soulless soccer ground outside of Town must have sold out Tonight in comparison in to Leigh’s measly 6k attendance in front of the Sky cameras surely ? You got nowhere near to doubling it !

You should embrace Leigh and embrace being a pie eater. It brings the Two Towns together and any true Wigan fan would embrace a strong Leigh team as I have over many years supporting Wigan against the Aussies etc etc ….. Been to Wembley many times supporting ……

Have you seen a lot of of RL ?  Based on the passiveness of your post, I doubt. Your a keyboard ‘warrior’. 

I’m just a RL fan who is enjoying the ride and for a change is embracing the fact that a promoted team isn’t getting shafted and relegated. What a breath of fresh air ! 

If Leigh beat Saints and Wigan beat Hull KR, DM me, and I will buy you a Cola on Wembley way. 

If Leigh don’t get there, good luck. Nowt changed. Same old boring Rugby League !

tell City and United fans exactly the same. I won't argue with you because I actually think you mean what you say. Basically being nice. Genuine respect for that.

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

A good night , a great atmosphere despite the weather ( who cares how wet you are when you're winning ? 😂 ) , We had a fan zone outside pre match so the weather was expected 🙄 , a good overall team performance , nobody really standing out for me , good to see Hughes and big Ben back ( big Ben looking as ' ripped ' as a back , he's been working hard during rehab ) 

Norman learning what will be expected of him wearing ' print ' and nobody limping at the end or facing any bans as far as I could see , didn't expect to be in second so that was a bonus , now we go on tour for 5 weeks in a row ( hopefully it'll be 6 😉 ) , if we can retain top 4 by the time we come back to the ' den ' we'll have done fantastic 

Come on you Pards 😀

Good to See Hughes do more than 10 mins and do some decent carries. 

Ben seems to have lost some Weight for sure. Touch wood, hopefully another game unscathed with Asiata being taken off as a precaution because HKR couldn’t get to grips with him at all !

37 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Would you not expect the majority of home fans to be from the town or city that the club is based in?

Post code areas, electoral districts, local authority boundaries are artificial constructs designed for logistical and administrative purposes. They are not cultural or demographic boundaries. Thus using them to compare the attendance potential or attendance actual of clubs is in my view incorrect.

7 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Post code areas, electoral districts, local authority boundaries are artificial constructs designed for logistical and administrative purposes. They are not cultural or demographic boundaries. Thus using them to compare the attendance potential or attendance actual of clubs is in my view incorrect.

So we have a Man City fan discussing where any particular clubs fans should be from ? 😂 

🤔 Let me think 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, JohnM said:

That's true to an extent. But Rugby League clubs aren't "brands" in the same way that big football clubs are. United, City, Liverpool etc have fans all over the world. Even amongst the big RL clubs there are very few people going to game who aren't from that city/town. At Hull this afternoon I reckon the percentage of fans who have travelled from outside the East Riding will be less than 5%. And the majority of those will have been born in Hull or have some other strong link with the area.

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

Wow! Only people living in the Beaumont demesne allowed to attend? 

Exactly should we reach a final then we will hook the hinterland fans with heritage connections plus the locals who liked supporting winning teams in our wilderness years. The success of match day events will lead to plenty more second and third family member season tickets next year as it really is a great night out these days

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

You mean like feeling disappointed that you're only second in SL ? 😂 , That sort of weird ? 😉

The pinch myself it must be a dream weird. The fact we would be top but for a couple of bad calls in games we lost is even more weird after all these years

3 hours ago, MZH said:

That's true to an extent. But Rugby League clubs aren't "brands" in the same way that big football clubs are. United, City, Liverpool etc have fans all over the world. Even amongst the big RL clubs there are very few people going to game who aren't from that city/town. At Hull this afternoon I reckon the percentage of fans who have travelled from outside the East Riding will be less than 5%. And the majority of those will have been born in Hull or have some other strong link with the area.

Agreed. I'd say though that its not possible to fully define the  a  "town" by postcodes for example.  Its a  cultural, historical familial, topographical construct.      That is why i think that Snowys Backside stating there are 22000 houses in Leigh compared to 105000 in post  code areas WN 1-6 is too simplistic a comparison, since it take n account of population drift for example.

That is not to deny that Leigh's transformation is remarkable, which as I say is a shining example to other clubs of what you can achieve without top class coaches and players and a professional marketing operation, just as long as you've got a team that plays as a team

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Agreed. I'd say though that its not possible to fully define the  a  "town" by postcodes for example.  Its a  cultural, historical familial, topographical construct.      That is why i think that Snowys Backside stating there are 22000 houses in Leigh compared to 105000 in post  code areas WN 1-6 is too simplistic a comparison, since it take n account of population drift for example.

That is not to deny that Leigh's transformation is remarkable, which as I say is a shining example to other clubs of what you can achieve without top class coaches and players and a professional marketing operation, just as long as you've got a team that plays as a team

So which coaches in SL are ' top class ' ? 

Tell me which loose forward in SL is better than John Asiata ? , Which half better than Lam ? , Which 9 better than Ipape ? , Or a better try scorer than Charnley? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, JohnM said:

Wow! Only people living in the Beaumont demesne allowed to attend? 

I don't know but I like the Norman French references.

Chapeau!

• Thanks 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Was there a game discussed on this thread some time back?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Now, back to Maveric, as they used to say at the end of an ITV ad break a million years ago.

Has either team lost players to long -term injuries following this game? If so whom, what and with what potential consequences.

9 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Back to the game ….

Leigh continue to over perform. The question being how long can they keep going?

KR are in a slump. Will they make the top 6?

For Leigh, a lot will depend on keeping as many of the starting 13 fit for as long as possible. I think we could make the 6, but would never go to a cup semi final against Saints expecting to win, and ultimately think Wigan will win the Challenge cup, and will be a Catalans Wigan Grand final.

Have some sympathy for KR. Coote was a big loss, compounded by injury to Abdull. Most clubs would struggle after losing their full back and half back. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Was there a game discussed on this thread some time back?

That was the original point of it, yes.

I've just binned off dozens of trolling posts, and banned the person doing the trolling.

Hopefully, the thread will get back on topic now...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

That was the original point of it, yes.

I've just binned off dozens of trolling posts, and banned the person doing the trolling.

Hopefully, the thread will get back on topic now...

Apologies John for a couple of my posts , I did put him on ignore as it was obvious there was no chance of any sensible ' debate ' 

Just an interesting point , have we ( Leigh ) finally arrived 

Just been to Ince ( Wigan ) on a bit of business , one of the receptionist's upon hearing I was a Leigh fan " aren't Leigh doing well ? , I was at the Wigan game on Friday , it was a bit boring , but all anybody was talking about was Leigh " 😀

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Just been to Ince ( Wigan ) on a bit of business , one of the receptionist's upon hearing I was a Leigh fan " aren't Leigh doing well ? , I was at the Wigan game on Friday , it was a bit boring , but all anybody was talking about was Leigh " 😀

I have noticed a definite shift in the tone of replies to social media score/result updates in the past week or so.

5 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

I have lots of Employees of die hard Wigan fans Steve who absolutely love Leigh being where they are in SL. 

It’s refreshing and irrespective of History and Rivalry it seems perception has shifted for the ‘greater’ 

It could be the start of something good, but it will likely take decades for Leigh to be of the same ilk of some SL clubs, but they have people talking and it’s good for the game.