Is this good enough?

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

While this may be true, in which case like you I’d be querying why, it may be best to find out the facts rather than relying on a Blake Austin tweet? Hopefully Leeds will respond. 

Blake Austin is selling a signed NZ All Blacks shirt to raise money for this “hefty bill”. I would say that they are some pretty solid facts. 

Obviously this is an attempt to have a dig at Leeds after a Leeds fan started a thread titled the same about Keighley. However I think the cases are quite different.

One was a player getting badly injured playing the game of Rugby League. An injury that should have been very much anticipated as a normal rugby injury. As a professional club Keighley should have had adequate insurance in place to cover this and to protect their player. That is just poor governance and compounded by trying to shift the blame onto the NHS.

Zane Tetevano's injury is not a normal rugby injury and not one that would be expected playing the game of Rugby League. Rugby insurance would certainly not cover this. Similarly insurance such as BUPA does not cover pre-existing medical conditions, which as most heart defects occur from birth and Tetevano has only been at the club 2 years, this is very likely to be. There is nothing unreasonable about Leeds not having protection for this in place.

Now maybe Leeds could cover this as a good deed and ultimately it is to their benefit if they do. I personally think its unlikely they havent or that it hasnt been done through the NHS as it was performed at Leeds General. His surgery was quick and the only appeal Ive seen is for the Childrens Heart Surgery Fund.

Either way I think the cases are quite different. 

• Like 8

56 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Blake Austin is selling a signed NZ All Blacks shirt to raise money for this “hefty bill”. I would say that they are some pretty solid facts. 

Do you know much the hefty bill is, why it’s not being paid for by the NHS, what insurance if any was in place, or if Leeds have said they’re definitely not paying though? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

That doesnt mean Leeds arent doing something though, does it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Damien said:

Obviously this is an attempt to have a dig at Leeds after a Leeds fan started a thread titled the same about Keighley. However I think the cases are quite different.

One was a player getting badly injured playing the game of Rugby League. An injury that should have been very much anticipated as a normal rugby injury. As a professional club Keighley should have had adequate insurance in place to cover this and to protect their player. That is just poor governance and compounded by trying to shift the blame onto the NHS.

Zane Tetevano's injury is not a normal rugby injury and not one that would be expected playing the game of Rugby League. Rugby insurance would certainly not cover this. Similarly insurance such as BUPA does not cover pre-existing medical conditions, which as most heart defects occur from birth and Tetevano has only been at the club 2 years, this is very likely to be. There is nothing unreasonable about Leeds not having protection for this in place.

Now maybe Leeds could cover this as a good deed and ultimately it is to their benefit if they do. I personally think its unlikely they havent or that it hasnt been done through the NHS as it was performed at Leeds General. His surgery was quick and the only appeal Ive seen is for the Childrens Heart Surgery Fund.

Is non diagnosed pre existing conditions not covered ??

I had a Bupa plan for my son when he played academy level rugby & thought it was.

6 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Isn’t there a reciprocal agreement that allows British/Australian citizens access to free hospital treatment in both countries ?

Particularly as he is employed and pays taxes here. 

• Like 1

Why didn't Category A Super League club Leeds pick this up in a medical before they signed him?

Way back in the 1970's a hole in the heart was discovered by professional Leeds United and it stopped a transfer of Asa Hartford at a time long before a broadcast deal meant obscene amounts of money went into professional soccer.

It was Keighley Cougars who had Dr Richard Lawrance, the Welsh rugby league doctor,who completed Heart tests on players who had warmed up and not just on players before they had warmed up.

Kudos to Dr Lawrance,last seen being a doctor for York Ladies side. 

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

47 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Do you know much the hefty bill is, why it’s not being paid for by the NHS, what insurance if any was in place, or if Leeds have said they’re definitely not paying though? 

Yes mate, I’m Tetevano’s accountant. Of course not. Just reporting what is out there in the public domain. 

53 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think it’s a pretty poor look for an already poor looking sport (thankfully because of the profile of the sport, an elite sportsmen and his mates having to flog personal stuff to pay for an operation won’t be picked up by any media outlet). 

It’s also not a dig at anyone, just re-using a thread title that got clicks. Call me Callum Walker, if you will, please. 

I think it's a difficult one this. All employers don't provide private medical care, and I suppose there is no clear reason why they would cover things like this. Clearly they have a responsibility around work related injuries, but this just isn't that. 

Where the grey element comes in is that he has obviously gone private to get treated quickly to try and get back to work. It feels like help from the club could have been forthcoming in this kind of circumstance. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Is non diagnosed pre existing conditions not covered ??

I had a Bupa plan for my son when he played academy level rugby & thought it was.

That depends on whether it is full medical underwriting or Moratorium with a 2 year waiting period. Bupa have a fair amount of caveats though and it depends on their appointed doctors and whether it should have been picked up at some point. It being undiagnosed to you or to your doctor is not the same as being undiagnosed to Bupa, if underlying symptoms should have been picked up, or where ignored, then they wont pay.

Its all complicated, as is the way with insurance, something you'd need to check for your particular circumstances. My general starting point on insurance though is that if they can find a way to get out of paying then they will.

Edited by Damien
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Particularly as he is employed and pays taxes here. 

Reading on social media he had emergency treatment which would have been free but it’s the further operation to repair the hole that’s the issue,he’s obviously & understandably getting it done privately to bypass the waiting list in order to get back playing.

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Isn’t there a reciprocal agreement that allows British/Australian citizens access to free hospital treatment in both countries ?

There is. Emergency care is definitely covered. Other cases may not be.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

40 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Why didn't Category A Super League club Leeds pick this up in a medical before they signed him?

Way back in the 1970's a hole in the heart was discovered by professional Leeds United and it stopped a transfer of Asa Hartford at a time long before a broadcast deal meant obscene amounts of money went into professional soccer.

It was Keighley Cougars who had Dr Richard Lawrance, the Welsh rugby league doctor,who completed Heart tests on players who had warmed up and not just on players before they had warmed up.

Kudos to Dr Lawrance,last seen being a doctor for York Ladies side. 

Some of these heart issues aren't easy to spot. You could similarly ask why it wasnt spotted at 3 NRL clubs. This is also why we have seen high profile incidents in Football, a sport awash with money and medical professionals whose players want for nothing. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

It’s also not a dig at anyone, just re-using a thread title that got clicks. Call me Callum Walker, if you will, please. 

Whilst imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, this is embarrassing.

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Yes, my buddy benefitted from this when he fell off a cannon in plymouth. Age not alcohol was the cause.

Reciprocal is a bit of a misnomer though, a brit in australia gets what an australian would get in Australia and vice versa. Since public coverage in Uk is more comprehensive than in Aus its better for aussies abroad than brits abroad. Example prescription drugs for seniors….free under NHS but suubject to co payments in Aus.

He had the operation on Tuesday... so I would guess the invoice/bill will only just arrived or more likely with further checks to follow up the bill hasn't landed yet.. Whom paying I have no idea but seems a little premature as to having general knowledge of whom is paying the final invoices.

3 hours ago, Jughead said:

I think it’s a pretty poor look for an already poor looking sport (thankfully because of the profile of the sport, an elite sportsmen and his mates having to flog personal stuff to pay for an operation won’t be picked up by any media outlet). 

This post is just pathetic and embarrassing.

4 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Zane is a Kiwi, I don't know if that would make a difference. And in the current climate and government, it is worth remembering that he is reportedly a very high earner too. Both of which may affect these things.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Zane is a Kiwi, I don't know if that would make a difference. And in the current climate and government, it is worth remembering that he is reportedly a very high earner too. Both of which may affect these things.

There is a reciprocal arrangement in place. To my untrained eye, it looks basically the same as that available to Australians and is based on visa/length of stay rather than income.

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)