A Disgraceful Exhibition!

Aye, hang on, there was a period in the early 2000s where Warrington shipped 50+ points against Saints in every game.

But funnily enough, it gave way to a period where we lost to Saints by 6 points or fewer in every game, and it turned out the previous way was much easier to swallow.

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

6 hours ago, meast said:

As per my post, Leeds' squad and Huddersfield's squad were far different back then, Leeds were far stronger in every department.

They probably were but don't forget Huddersfield were coached by Mal Reilly and had a few very good, experienced players,they weren't plucky amateurs. They just shouldn't have been losing by such scorelines 

13 hours ago, meast said:

I honestly don't even remember Moore or Carlton and Byrne and Simpson only played a handful didn't they?

Shane Byrne is Mike's dad, academy product, , Jimmy Carlton was a decent looking forward and i think got an injury and ended up at Fev, Darren Simpson was a big explosive winger who did a decent job when he played, scored a few tries too, Ady Moore was a half-back from the academy who only played a handful of games.

RL is a cruel game , and sometimes all the effort in the world will come to absolutely zilch , also the fear factor can come into play , a team with a score building up against them will stop trying the more risky plays , but defending isn't an option in RL , you have to overcome the fear of making a mistake , the Catalan , Leigh match could easily have gone a similar way , losing at a point a minute , then one attacking play comes off for Leigh and that spark of confidence returns 

I surprised people that know me by saying I like reading and hearing what Garry has to say. The only thing I sometimes have a little problem with is, I disagree with him. So what ?. We can't all agree on everything. He is a proper RL person. Like me.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, daz39 said:

Shane Byrne is Mike's dad, academy product, , Jimmy Carlton was a decent looking forward and i think got an injury and ended up at Fev, Darren Simpson was a big explosive winger who did a decent job when he played, scored a few tries too, Ady Moore was a half-back from the academy who only played a handful of games.

I know Shane and Darren Simpson, but they only played a handful of times, I honestly cannot remember Jim Carlton or Ady Moore 😮 

4 hours ago, meast said:

I know Shane and Darren Simpson, but they only played a handful of times, I honestly cannot remember Jim Carlton or Ady Moore 😮 

Carlton 16 appearances 2 tries over 3 years

Moore 5 games over 2 years, pretty sure he was Steve Booth's academy half back partner.

• Like 1

On 29/06/2023 at 10:52, Tre Cool said:

Super Coach Schofield!  Do people actually read his opinion pieces?

Yes, thousands of people do.

He knows more about the game than the vast majority of people and, unlike some, he isn't afraid to give his opinion.

If you are ever lucky enough to sit next to Garry at a Rugby League match, by the end of the 80 minutes you will know and understand much more about the game on the field by the time the final hooter sounds.

• Like 3

London
BRONCOS
72 8
WAKEFIELD TRINITY WILDCATS
Match URL www.rugbyleagueproject.org/matches/2734
Status Completed
Date Sunday, 27th February, 2005
Kick Off 3:00 PM (local time)
Referee Ian Smith (Oldham)
Venue Griffin (London)
Crowd 2,854
MATCH STATS
Halftime Score 36 0
MATCH SCORESHEET
Luke DORN 2 T   Darrell GRIFFIN
Lee GREENWOOD 2     Ben JEFFRIES
Lee HOPKINS 2      
Tyrone SMITH 2      
Anthony ARMOUR        
Thomas LEULUAI        
Mark McLINDEN        
Robert PURDHAM        

Paul SYKES 12 G    
TEAMS
Zebastian LUISI 25 FB 21 Mark FIELD
Lee GREENWOOD 23 W 25 Andy KIRK
Tyrone SMITH 24 C   Jason DEMETRIOU
Paul SYKES 1 C 19 Kevin KING
Nick BRADLEY-QALILAWA 3 W   Semi TADULALA

Luke DORN 21 FE   Jamie ROONEY
Thomas LEULUAI   HB   Ben JEFFRIES

Solomon HAUMONO 11 FR   Darrell GRIFFIN
Neil BUDWORTH   HK   David MARCH
Steve TRINDALL   FR   Michael KORKIDAS
Robert PURDHAM 13 2R 18 Olivier ELIMA
Lee HOPKINS   2R   Jamie FIELD
Fili LOLOHEA 20 L 26 Julian O'NEILL

Mark McLINDEN 6 B   Sam OBST
Joe MBU 16 B   David WRENCH
Anthony ARMOUR 18 B 27 Chris FEATHER
Mark TOOKEY   B 16 Steve SNITCH

Team Info

Note that current South Sydney coach Jason Demetriou was playing in the center for Wakefield.

Despite that inclusion Wakefield were hopeless.

Edited by Bradman Better
N.A.

On 28/06/2023 at 08:11, M j M said:

That time Huddersfield let 54 points in at Headingley vs Leeds was amongst the worst performances i've ever seen in Super League. 

Possibly a different game to the one Schoey is talking about here though.

Screenshot-20230628-130412-2.png

That was a game where Garry Schofield was coach of the Giants team that was thrashed that day.

Funny that Garry seems not to remember it.

• Haha 1

Oh,   and before I forget. On the other side of the world:

May 20, 2023

Wests Tigers 66, North Queensland 18.  

July 1, 2023.

North Queensland 74  Wests Tigers 0.

July 2, 2023

Newcastle 66  Canterbury 0

DISGRACEFUL!

Edited by Bradman Better

19 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

He knows more about the game than the vast majority of people and, unlike some, he isn't afraid to give his opinion.

If you are ever lucky enough to sit next to Garry at a Rugby League match, by the end of the 80 minutes you will know and understand much more about the game on the field by the time the final hooter sounds.

Well there must be something wrong with his communications skills then as he couldn't get that message over to professional players

1 hour ago, Bradman Better said:

That was a game where Garry Schofield was coach of the Giants team that was thrashed that day.

Funny that Garry seems not to remember it.

Yes that was the point.

Schoey was a terrible coach. His opinions are entertaining and his views on some aspects of play interesting. But I don't know why we should or would give much credence to his views on the ability of current coaches and coaching - partly due to his own record but mostly because the methods and sophistication of the job are vastly different to when he was last involved. It's like asking the Wright Brothers to comment on the technical aspects of a 747.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bradman Better said:
London
BRONCOS
72 8
WAKEFIELD TRINITY WILDCATS
Match URL www.rugbyleagueproject.org/matches/2734
Status Completed
Date Sunday, 27th February, 2005
Kick Off 3:00 PM (local time)
Referee Ian Smith (Oldham)
Venue Griffin (London)
Crowd 2,854
MATCH STATS
Halftime Score 36 0
MATCH SCORESHEET
Luke DORN 2 T   Darrell GRIFFIN
Lee GREENWOOD 2     Ben JEFFRIES
Lee HOPKINS 2      
Tyrone SMITH 2      
Anthony ARMOUR        
Thomas LEULUAI        
Mark McLINDEN        
Robert PURDHAM        

Paul SYKES 12 G    
TEAMS
Zebastian LUISI 25 FB 21 Mark FIELD
Lee GREENWOOD 23 W 25 Andy KIRK
Tyrone SMITH 24 C   Jason DEMETRIOU
Paul SYKES 1 C 19 Kevin KING
Nick BRADLEY-QALILAWA 3 W   Semi TADULALA

Luke DORN 21 FE   Jamie ROONEY
Thomas LEULUAI   HB   Ben JEFFRIES

Solomon HAUMONO 11 FR   Darrell GRIFFIN
Neil BUDWORTH   HK   David MARCH
Steve TRINDALL   FR   Michael KORKIDAS
Robert PURDHAM 13 2R 18 Olivier ELIMA
Lee HOPKINS   2R   Jamie FIELD
Fili LOLOHEA 20 L 26 Julian O'NEILL

Mark McLINDEN 6 B   Sam OBST
Joe MBU 16 B   David WRENCH
Anthony ARMOUR 18 B 27 Chris FEATHER
Mark TOOKEY   B 16 Steve SNITCH

Team Info

Note that current South Sydney coach Jason Demetriou was playing in the center for Wakefield.

Despite that inclusion Wakefield were hopeless.

AH! The good ol' days!

Those were better times ..

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Well there must be something wrong with his communications skills then as he couldn't get that message over to professional players

Based on the way he writes, that wouldn't be surprising. He might be knowledgeable about the game and really intelligent for all I know but his columns never come across that way. It either reads like something you'd see written on an RL Facebook group (dumbed down, reactionary and hyperbolic) or it's just bland. It's titled 'Pulling No Punches' but it's more 'Old Man Yells at Cloud'.

• Like 1

Blow out scorelines are often a red herring.

Ive seen Trinity have 70 put on them a few times, most notably when London did it to a Solomona inspired Trinity, possibly our best ever SL line up.

Likewise we did it a few years back to an otherwise solid Hull team.

These things happen, and mostly they are just blips.

So he was a poor coach. His playing career was amazing. International included. He was a loyal player. Proud of his County. Would never have come over here. I respect that. He knows more than all of us on here. He tells it like it is. But at the end of the day, it's only a opinion. I honestly think his comments on RL are more worthwhile than any of the football ones. Oh, Especially the Nevilles !. He should be treated the same as the other players that have represented their Country. To read that the other week was very disappointing. Schoey you are a Legend of the game. 

On 01/07/2023 at 10:20, Martyn Sadler said:

Tens of people I'm sure. Opinions for the sake of opinions aren't interesting, and his less than most.  But about on par with yours.

• Sad 1

On 28/06/2023 at 14:33, Martyn Sadler said:

So the only people who have a right to criticise Watson are those who have coached more teams to Grand Finals and Challenge Cup Finals?

Presumably you also believe that the only people who can criticise Boris Johnson are politicians who have won more than one general election.

Why Boris Johnson?