England now has four or five outstanding wingers. Which two would you choose?

Which two wingers would you select for England?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which two wingers would you select to play for England?

This is the first time in a long time that England has available four or five outstanding wingers competing for two spots. They are:

Tom Johnstone

Tommy Makinson

Dominic Young

Tom Davies

Liam Marshall

Any two of these would be good for England.

Which two would you choose?

Edited by Bradman Better
  • Like 1

Ashton and Charnley both have very good claims to be on that list.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

As much as I really rate Davies and Marshall and clearly have a soft spot for them, with them having come through at Wigan, we’ve got 3 top class wingers realistically and not 5.

Picking any 2 from Young, Makinson and Johnstone will leave you in a great position. I know Dom Young played plenty of centre as a junior and if he gets moved in at club level at any point, it would be interesting see how he goes. If you had Makinson, Young, Farnworth and Johnstone at 2-5, that could be pretty special. 

• Like 7

Makinson right winger; Johnstone left winger.

Charnley, Dom Young, Joe Burgess and Matthew Ashton are pretty close and there's an argument for putting Young in the centres.

Makinson is a world class player and one of the first names on England's team-sheet. Johnstone is tearing it up and, although there may be niggling doubts about his defence, I think he is hard to overlook for the other wing.

Welsby, Makinson, Young, Herbie, Johnstone could be one hell of a backline for England if they gel and reach their ceilings together.

Edited by StandOffHalf
  • Like 2

Makinson. His spectacular tries. Can defend. Even in this modern game. Marshall. Try machine. Under rated. One of my favourite players.

Having seen plenty of TJ I would say his weakest point is in his positional play on defence. He is big,strong and great under the high ball. He is still probably the fastest of all those named and as a try scorer and finisher he is top of the list.

• Like 2

Makinson is 31 now and will be 34 by the time that the next World Cup was due to take place. For that reason, and given the quality of Johnstone and Young, I wouldn't be surprise to see Wane go with the latter two. I think that's probably what I would do too.

It's a very difficult decision because all three wingers are amongst England's strongest players. Charnley has had an excellent year but can't see him getting back in due to his age and time out of the squad. I really rate Davies too, he's just unfortunate never to be in the picture due to who is ahead of him. 

4 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Makinson is 31 now and will be 34 by the time that the next World Cup was due to take place. For that reason, and given the quality of Johnstone and Young, I wouldn't be surprise to see Wane go with the latter two. I think that's probably what I would do too.

It's a very difficult decision because all three wingers are amongst England's strongest players. Charnley has had an excellent year but can't see him getting back in due to his age and time out of the squad. I really rate Davies too, he's just unfortunate never to be in the picture due to who is ahead of him. 

But if your best player is 34 at the next WC (could be 35 if its delayed) you still need to play your best player - Makemson is still Englands best player (even Bennett agrees).

It would be Makemson and TJ for me with Young as reserve. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Agbrigg said:

Lets not forget we are talking about England selection and form and ability are secondary to past reputation. So don't rule out Ryan Hall

Or the Rule that if you play NRL your automatically better than any SL player and should play no matter how good a SL player is..

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chris22 said:

I agree. However, I’d throw in that Makinson is also a bit broken nowadays. There isn’t a game where he doesn’t display some form of injury. It’s understandable. He’s used his body as a battering ram for years now. I think he’s done as an international level player if he wishes to continue his club career for another 2-3yrs.

Young, Johnstone and I’d throw in Ashton as the future… pace. Lots of it and good in the air (the former two at least).

Edited by GeordieSaint
  • Like 1