Super League 1997 - Have we never had it so good?

I was very kindly invited onto the Rugby League Digest podcast this month to discuss what was happening in the 1997 Super League season. 

While doing my research it was apparent that 1997 was a critical year in the development of the Super League.

Bradford were on the verge of Bull-Mania, the WCC was on the horizon, and Richard Branson had snapped up London Broncos. Commercially a range of Super League branded products such as sticker books and milk started to appear in the supermarkets. Cash rich - we even employed M&C Saatchi to run promotional adverts around the theme of "Moving Up. Moving On". There was even the first RL PC game produced to coincide with the new season - which was launched in the West End of London. 

And then the WCC emphasized just how big the gap was between the UK and the Aus clubs.....

The discussion got us thinking about what had changed in the intervening years? Was 1997 the year that we blew it? Or did it come later? Was it ever possible for the Super League to live up to the heady expectations that Lindsay and Sky promised? 

Would love to hear people's thoughts and memories of the period!!

• Like 1

I remember that era well. There was a fair few crushing disappointments, like the WCC and losing to the SL Aussies. But overall there was a sense of hope and optimism and could it really be "next stop Barcelona?"(it wasn't) 

But for a brief period it looked like RL was getting it's act together and trying to walk the walk. Obviously in the end the 'realists' have had their way and the game (in terms of profile and players) has shrunk. I was busy at the time telling all and sundry about how RL was on the verge of something special. Like the England 1982 football squad, This Time! We'll get it right. 

What RL has lost most of all is it's confidence. Like him or not, that's what Maurice Lyndsay had. RL will never make the breakthrough now, I mean it will always exist but in what state, who knows? Probably part time. 

And as a more famous historian than me once wrote, when nations lose their confidence - that's when empires crumble. 

• Thanks 1

Was 1997 the year that we blew it? Or did it come later?

What a very Rugby League question.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

A French club four points clear at the summit, a newly promoted side second, Leigh putting a lot of effort into matchday experience, six consecutive different winners of the Challenge Cup, ten different finalists in the previous eight finals, a relegation battle in Super League that’s getting interesting and World Club Champions from this competition. We’re not doing bad on the pitch at the minute. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Jughead said:

A French club four points clear at the summit, a newly promoted side second, Leigh putting a lot of effort into matchday experience, six consecutive different winners of the Challenge Cup, ten different finalists in the previous eight finals, a relegation battle in Super League that’s getting interesting and World Club Champions from this competition. We’re not doing bad on the pitch at the minute. 

And apart from RL fans, who is aware of this? The mainstream coverage of RL is pretty non existent. 

But anyway the question wasn't really about the state of RL now, it was more about whether that was an opportunity missed. Which it definitely was. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

And apart from RL fans, who is aware of this? The mainstream coverage of RL is pretty non existent. 

But anyway the question wasn't really about the state of RL now, it was more about whether that was an opportunity missed. Which it definitely was. 

Think you missed the bit where I said “on the pitch”. The product itself is not bad. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

I remember that era well. There was a fair few crushing disappointments, like the WCC and losing to the SL Aussies. But overall there was a sense of hope and optimism and could it really be "next stop Barcelona?"(it wasn't) 

But for a brief period it looked like RL was getting it's act together and trying to walk the walk. Obviously in the end the 'realists' have had their way and the game (in terms of profile and players) has shrunk. I was busy at the time telling all and sundry about how RL was on the verge of something special. Like the England 1982 football squad, This Time! We'll get it right. 

What RL has lost most of all is it's confidence. Like him or not, that's what Maurice Lyndsay had. RL will never make the breakthrough now, I mean it will always exist but in what state, who knows? Probably part time. 

And as a more famous historian than me once wrote, when nations lose their confidence - that's when empires crumble. 

Thats pretty doom and gloom.

1997 was close to the high water mark for London Broncos. The team was starting to deliver on the field, the games vs Canberra and Brisbane at the Stoop as well as Branson's involvement and the famous home game vs Bradford really got them attention in media outlets that never usually covered Rugby League. Even the away game at Bradford, a top of the table clash with more than 15,000 people there, was a major event in the domestic season.

That more than anything of the other peripheral stuff that happened that year was the opportunity missed. Whether in an alternative universe with unlimited money and longer term commitment it could have been made to work who knows but the story from where the Broncos were then to where they are now is a long and mostly sad one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M j M said:

1997 was close to the high water mark for London Broncos. The team was starting to deliver on the field, the games vs Canberra and Brisbane at the Stoop as well as Branson's involvement and the famous home game vs Bradford really got them attention in media outlets that never usually covered Rugby League. Even the away game at Bradford, a top of the table clash with more than 15,000 people there, was a major event in the domestic season.

That more than anything of the other peripheral stuff that happened that year was the opportunity missed. Whether in an alternative universe with unlimited money and longer term commitment it could have been made to work who knows but the story from where the Broncos were then to where they are now is a long and mostly sad one.

I'm fairly certain that when the game between London and Canberra was going on, Michael Parkinson interrupted his Radio 5 show to bring an update on the game, or maybe interrupted something else for it. (Fairly certain it was that game) 

There was a good chat about the game and it sounded like a really big deal. What might have been......

• Like 1

I do think the game has lost visibility since then. I was barely a teenager in those days but even where I was in Kent I was able to buy Super League merch (I had a Mitre ball) from my local sports shop. I also remember the Sun having a Super League supplement etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Masked Poster said:

I'm fairly certain that when the game between London and Canberra was going on, Michael Parkinson interrupted his Radio 5 show to bring an update on the game, or maybe interrupted something else for it. (Fairly certain it was that game) 

There was a good chat about the game and it sounded like a really big deal. What might have been......

Interesting that you should mention that game. A few days later the Super League ran this advert in the press

image_6487327.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This was an exciting period. Around this time it felt like we were pushing boundaries and I think that served us well and got us coverage above our previous levels to an extent. 

We'd artificially promoted teams, we'd gone international with Paris, gone boldnwith the World Club Championship, was leading the way in modernising match day presentation, got ourselves out there more with promotional activity and branding, launched the Grand Final, embraced technology. We had a swagger and it is difficult to recall a time where we were at the forefront of this movement. 

Now most sports followed and then overtook us. 

We need to get that swagger back imo. There were some positive signs at the start of the season, and Leigh are far more positive than last time they came in. There is plenty to like at the moment, but I think we would benefit from some of that ambition of the early years. 

With the caveat that we are probably better run businesses now than we were then! 

• Like 4

The chasm between the SL club sides here and those playing SL Down Under was shown up for all to see in the WCC.

Whilst the SL v ARL war raged in Australia I like many was optimistic of the Global Vision which was epitomised by Maurice Lindsay.

I make no comment about my views on SL now as that would be off topic.

1997 was pivotal, positive and inspiring without doubt.

5 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I do think the game has lost visibility since then. I was barely a teenager in those days but even where I was in Kent I was able to buy Super League merch (I had a Mitre ball) from my local sports shop. I also remember the Sun having a Super League supplement etc. 

Yes used to love The Sun Rugby League supplement with Phil Thomas.

20 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

Well the WCC managed to get Saints on the Telegraph page/app for a couple of days. I'd call that progress.

18 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I think we stayed hidden behind a paywall for far too long. We should have used the early success to get ourselves on terrestrial TV at least once a week.  Difficult to maintain that momentum when your potential audience is limited to those that subscribe to Sky.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

I think we stayed hidden behind a paywall for far too long. We should have used the early success to get ourselves on terrestrial TV at least once a week.  Difficult to maintain that momentum when your potential audience is limited to those that subscribe to Sky.

I wonder how the numbers subscribing to Sky now and then compare?

• Like 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

My big what if of that period was around the WCC... if a super league side had won (or even made the final and given a good show, not even having 1 team in the semi finals sums it up) would it have continued even with the coming back together of the Aus SL and the ARL.. would it have gained the headlines we needed etc. IMHO the biggest problem was the poor showing in that competition. If we won that and beaten the SL aussies (all obviously weaker and the aussies would know it but it wouldnt have mattered to the press here) then I think a lot could have been different. 

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

Well the WCC managed to get Saints on the Telegraph page/app for a couple of days. I'd call that progress.

While that is good in itself and definitely to be welcomed, it's not exactly a great ROI. After all, the Telegraph used to have its own RL section on its website but removed it, allegedly due to lack of use and/or comments on the articles. 

Randomly I've just remembered where I was working at the time and Radio 1 was the station of choice. There was always regular stories on the sports report about the SL and in particular Bradford Bulls. I haven't listened for some time now but I'd be very surprised if Radio 1 gave similar mention of SL today. (It might, I'd just be surprised) 

33 minutes ago, RP London said:

My big what if of that period was around the WCC... if a super league side had won (or even made the final and given a good show, not even having 1 team in the semi finals sums it up) would it have continued even with the coming back together of the Aus SL and the ARL.. would it have gained the headlines we needed etc. IMHO the biggest problem was the poor showing in that competition. If we won that and beaten the SL aussies (all obviously weaker and the aussies would know it but it wouldnt have mattered to the press here) then I think a lot could have been different. 

Not for the first or last time, I went to that decider at Elland Rd convinced we would win the game and therefore the series. Not sure where this faith kept coming from but it seemed to keep reappearing after the previous loss was forgotten about. 

Anyway, after a few minutes, my bubble was well and truly burst. But a win there could very well have changed perceptions of the game, regardless of the fact it was SL Aussies. 

NB that series was sponsored by British Gas. Well, GB were.

Edited by The Masked Poster