Sense of humour

andyacko

3 minutes ago, HaxbyKnight said:

Not much detail there Andy, I hope you're not referring to a certain referee? 

He is referring to a certain referee.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

In my opinion, his performances at the LNER have been laughable at times, I know all refs make mistakes or don’t see things, which is why they should get assistance from their touch judges, and let’s be fair we see things as spectators sometimes in a different way to the man in the middle, however, Mr Vella does seem to be in a class of his own as far as controversial decisions, or lack of them, goes. I know generally these things even themselves out over a season but we do seem to have him rather a lot. It can’t be very good for him to get booed off the pitch week in week out. 

37 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

In my opinion, his performances at the LNER have been laughable at times, I know all refs make mistakes or don’t see things, which is why they should get assistance from their touch judges, and let’s be fair we see things as spectators sometimes in a different way to the man in the middle, however, Mr Vella does seem to be in a class of his own as far as controversial decisions, or lack of them, goes. I know generally these things even themselves out over a season but we do seem to have him rather a lot. It can’t be very good for him to get booed off the pitch week in week out. 

I wonder what makes you think it's him who's being referred to?🤔

I always think it's a bit stupid to abuse the ref, if a set of fans are giving him some wellie he's not going to give that team any slack is he? I know he's supposed to be impartial but he's also human. Think it's counter productive, it's a thankless task being a ref. but for me it's the touch judges that are rubbish, they never give anything and they view the game from a better angle for some decisions.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Nige Arro said:

I always think it's a bit stupid to abuse the ref, if a set of fans are giving him some wellie he's not going to give that team any slack is he? I know he's supposed to be impartial but he's also human. Think it's counter productive, it's a thankless task being a ref. 

I totally agree, if it was up to me the referee's name wouldn't even be announced pre-match as it's irrelevant.

Difficult not to lose your rag as a spectator when the man in the middle isn't very good and obvious mistakes are costing your team points and although you can see things differently as a neutral, when I've seen him officiate other games he's been equally baffling. 

Also having watched replays of some of the tries he's allowed against us when the crowd have gone mental for a forward pass, (v Fev & v Sheffield) those have indeed been clearly forward and it beggars belief that 1000 people 50 yards away can see it but he's 10 yards away and misses them

Let's see how he gets on on Sunday as he'll be the best referee on the field.

• Like 2

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

He was absolutely shocking again but it didn't cost us the game. Batley beat us today because they were the better team but that clown certainly didn't help and I hope we don't see him again this season.

• Like 5

On 21/07/2023 at 10:34, Simon Hall said:

Also having watched replays of some of the tries he's allowed against us when the crowd have gone mental for a forward pass, (v Fev & v Sheffield) those have indeed been clearly forward and it beggars belief that 1000 people 50 yards away can see it but he's 10 yards away and misses them

I'm assuming the Fev try is the one where Connor Jones passed from dummy half to John Davies leading to a try for Kheirallah, and if so I agree, that pass was definitely forward.

Blaming that on the ref, which you are clearly doing, and commenting about people 50 yards away being able to see it was a forward pass is just typical fan-speak though, of course fans 50 yards away are going to have a better view if they are in line or close to being in-line with the incident. That's 100% on the touch judge. The ref is 10 yards away but at the worst possible angle to judge forward passes from dummy half, that's entirely on the touch judge (who was bang in line), trying to blame the ref for that is ridiculous imo.

• Like 3

On 21/07/2023 at 06:41, Nige Arro said:

I always think it's a bit stupid to abuse the ref, if a set of fans are giving him some wellie he's not going to give that team any slack is he? I know he's supposed to be impartial but he's also human. Think it's counter productive, it's a thankless task being a ref. but for me it's the touch judges that are rubbish, they never give anything and they view the game from a better angle for some decisions.

🤔

I have just had a look at his figures for Batley, he refereed (to date) 6 times and Batley lost twice Sheffield and Featherstone, and won six Keighley, Halifax, Barrow and York yesterday. 

30 minutes ago, RogerT said:

I have just had a look at his figures for Batley, he refereed (to date) 6 times and Batley lost twice Sheffield and Featherstone, and won six Keighley, Halifax, Barrow and York yesterday. 

Nobody  is blaming him for the defeat, he is just a poor referee. I was at the game, but two examples from the bits I have seen from the highlights confirm my initial thoughts.  When Harris kicked on a 5th tackle, Hooley definitely played at and touched the ball, but he never reset the tackle count. York scored from the last play, but his decision was wrong. Even  the commentator was surprised. Also after Harris scored, a Batley player clattered into him without any word from the ref. It doesn't show for Batleys second try, the ref award a goal line drop out, then change his mind. Why not check with his colleagues before making any decision? I'm sure the Bstley fans can also question some of his decisions from yesterday as well. 

Edited by HaxbyKnight