Sense of humour

andyacko

Surely Mr Vella gets a rubbish report after every game he ever referees. Isn't there any sort of monitoring/quality control in place? I'm sure he's well intentioned and does his best but isn't there some sort of mechanism for a recall/refresher course if he is consistently poor?

8 hours ago, William Webb Ellis said:

Surely Mr Vella gets a rubbish report after every game he ever referees. Isn't there any sort of monitoring/quality control in place? I'm sure he's well intentioned and does his best but isn't there some sort of mechanism for a recall/refresher course if he is consistently poor?

Having watched the replay without my rose tinted specs , MOST calls were the right ones

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RogerT said:

Doesn't the match commissioner do a report on them at the match.

There is no match commissioner these days below Super League, Roger. Cost saving measure. Only the RFL timekeeper, who usually is utilised as MC for Super League ie Dave Milburn, Gerry Kershaw, Tony Randerson.

It may be they have a 'report facility'.

TBH was chatting to Gareth Hewer, ex ref, a while ago and he does referee assessments for the Cumbrian club games, I think.

I can never think of the title match commissioner without recalling the game at the old Huntington Stadium when he had fielded a complaint about holes in the pitch (shot putt, rabbit, fox, The Great Escape cast, believe what you will) and, as he was wandering around looking for them, groundsman Col Molloy was hastily scuttling around with a shovel and a bucket of soil filling them in! It's a better story if you believe that Colin had the soil down his trouser legs a la Steve McQueen and company and was tamping it down with his feet!  😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, HaxbyKnight said:

he is just a poor referee. I was at the game, but two examples from the bits I have seen from the highlights confirm my initial thoughts.  When Harris kicked on a 5th tackle, Hooley definitely played at and touched the ball, but he never reset the tackle count.

Because he was unsighted, the angle of Hooley's body meant the ball was completely shielded from the ref for the very brief time Hooley touched the ball. Again, in my opinion, another example of fans not understanding the difficulties referees have in making dozens and dozens of split-second decisions each game without the benefit of replays.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Because he was unsighted, the angle of Hooley's body meant the ball was completely shielded from the ref for the very brief time Hooley touched the ball. Again, in my opinion, another example of fans not understanding the difficulties referees have in making dozens and dozens of split-second decisions each game without the benefit of replays.

I agree all refs make mistakes, unfortunately for Mr Vella it seems he seems to incur the wrath of fans and on occasions commentators more than most. You cannot keep making excuses when more people than not see what have been blatant infringements that a blind man would have seen. I am still surprised that from what has been said on here the refs are not assessed at this level, it doesn’t do anyone any good, least of all the man in the middle, he may genuinely believe he is interpreting the rules correctly and unless he is corrected or advised will continue to perform in blindfolded ignorance. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more. He did have a perfect view of the ridiculously late flop on Harris after he'd scored and the kneeing in the back that caused his injury though 🤔

Edited by JonT
Name change Marsh to Harris
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JonT said:

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more. He did have a perfect view of the ridiculously late flop on Marsh after he'd scored and the kneeing in the back that caused his injury though 🤔

Do you mean on Harris? If so I agree it was late. Possibly worthy of a sin bin (borderline I'd say), and I think you can only award an eight-point try if the foul is commited in the act of scoring (rather than after the ball has been grounded).

I don't think Vella is alone in being lax on that though, I've seen quite a few slightly late challenges on try scorers that have gone unpunished.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

I agree all refs make mistakes, unfortunately for Mr Vella it seems he seems to incur the wrath of fans and on occasions commentators more than most. You cannot keep making excuses when more people than not see what have been blatant infringements that a blind man would have seen.

You can't keep making excuses for fans having a go at refs when a blind man could see they were unsighted.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Do you mean on Harris? If so I agree it was late. Possibly worthy of a sin bin (borderline I'd say), and I think you can only award an eight-point try if the foul is commited in the act of scoring (rather than after the ball has been grounded).

I don't think Vella is alone in being lax on that though, I've seen quite a few slightly late challenges on try scorers that have gone unpunished.

Sorry, you're absolutely right. I meant Harris. And again i agree that there is far too much late stuff goes on after the try has been scored.

• Like 3

I don’t like to call the referees it’s a hard job I do however feel they should get more support from their touch judges which does seem very rare. 

We watch the replays over and over again and complain he didn’t see something but watching Baileys disallowed try several times and I still dont know if Dee knocked it on or not so it shows how hard it is.

There is always going to be human error and contentious decisions this happens in ever sport it’s just how it is speak to every fan of every club and there is always that one referee.

I went to a NRL game last year and tries were awarded on field but are only confirmed when the bunker has reviewed them, the game I watched had 3 tries disallowed after been given by the referee and my Aussie mate said he found it strange how someone could influence the game so much who was probably hundreds of miles away in a studio and it slowed the game down waiting for decisions and they didn’t always get it right too. I wouldn’t want that here also if they got everything right we would have nothing to moan about.

• Like 2

Interesting that you have a Topic titled 'sense of humour' yet one of the Forum's more regular contributors is no longer allowed to post because of his 'sense of humour' ......... which it seems caused Ire amongst certain York members and he is now only allowed to post on the Dewsbury forum.........

Oh, he sends his congratulations for a great performance on Sunday BTW ......... I expected him to be miffed about our nearest and dearest getting to Wembley but he couldn't have been happier ....... Apparently ordered his souvenir T-Shirt with "Coolie - Dog for a day" emblazoned on the back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Therein73 said:

Interesting that you have a Topic titled 'sense of humour' yet one of the Forum's more regular contributors is no longer allowed to post because of his 'sense of humour' ......... which it seems caused Ire amongst certain York members and he is now only allowed to post on the Dewsbury forum.........

Oh, he sends his congratulations for a great performance on Sunday BTW ......... I expected him to be miffed about our nearest and dearest getting to Wembley but he couldn't have been happier ....... Apparently ordered his souvenir T-Shirt with "Coolie - Dog for a day" emblazoned on the back.

Tell him some of us miss him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Therein73 said:

Vast difference between a sense of humour and being an annoyance, when you're only doing it to wind people up.

And you use more emoticons than a teenage girl. 😉😉😉👍😆😆😂😂🤦‍♂️🤷🤷🏿👍🥳🥳🇬🇧

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Roger York said:

I don’t like to call the referees it’s a hard job I do however feel they should get more support from their touch judges which does seem very rare. 

This is a bit of a myth as the referee and their touch judges are in constant dialogue from first minute to last via their comms system. I only realised just how much when I was working behind the scenes at last year's RLWC match day at the LNER. The days of putting the flag up are largely no more.

How much advice the referee actually acts upon is a different matter...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Therein73 said:

Bit sad he’s been banned from other forums after all it is a public forum people do disagree. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

This is a bit of a myth as the referee and their touch judges are in constant dialogue from first minute to last via their comms system. I only realised just how much when I was working behind the scenes at last year's RLWC match day at the LNER. The days of putting the flag up are largely no more.

How much advice the referee actually acts upon is a different matter...

Yep, sometimes clubs put up feeds on YouTube with no comms but just the officials' audio and the dialogue is constant (and as Gav intimates the TJs are sometimes overruled ).

As Gav says that's why we hardly ever see the TJ running on with his flag raised to indicate foul play any more...they just tell the ref, as they're miked up.

I think spectators might be surprised at how many forward passes and offside decisions are touch judge-led rather than being solely the ref's call. Also players tend to get warnings in game if the TJ informed they were straying offside but they didn't interfere with play.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 5