1O,000

When I was in Perpignan two decades ago the XIII Catalan where in the small ground next to the railway station with around 600 watching them. St Esteve a bit out of town where their other them.Along came a former Catalan too by the name of Benard Guasch who had played some years earlier

He wanted to make a club who could challenge the best of English sides. Today he has made more than that because his side is on the top of Super League four points head above the others. Earlier they played at Wembley on two occations in 2006 and later on 2018 winning the latter

2023 seems a special time for the SL in that ten of the sides are competitive. Leigh will play at Wembley for the first time since 1971 against Hull KR having beating Wigan and St Helens in the process

The Catalans Dragons are starting to making an up serge of crowds. With the top teams has niver been a problem when they come over, Warrington, St Helens, Wigan and Hull FC all see 10,000 crowds. This year though Hull KR (9,453), Leigh (9,636), Huddersfield (9,182) and Salford (9,503) have seen major difference

It seems Hull KR with better seating too are all so improving their crowds

Is it time now for all the SL sides now looking up – in 2023 Leigh& Hull KR shows what can be down

Guasch brought together 3 clubs in his wisdom, XIII Calalan, St. Esteve and St. Cyptien – and where it brought them

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

11 minutes ago, audois said:

When I was in Perpignan two decades ago the XIII Catalan where in the small ground next to the railway station with around 600 watching them. St Esteve a bit out of town where their other them.Along came a former Catalan too by the name of Benard Guasch who had played some years earlier

He wanted to make a club who could challenge the best of English sides. Today he has made more than that because his side is on the top of Super League four points head above the others. Earlier they played at Wembley on two occations in 2006 and later on 2018 winning the latter

2023 seems a special time for the SL in that ten of the sides are competitive. Leigh will play at Wembley for the first time since 1971 against Hull KR having beating Wigan and St Helens in the process

The Catalans Dragons are starting to making an up serge of crowds. With the top teams has niver been a problem when they come over, Warrington, St Helens, Wigan and Hull FC all see 10,000 crowds. This year though Hull KR (9,453), Leigh (9,636), Huddersfield (9,182) and Salford (9,503) have seen major difference

Is it time now for all the SL sides now looking up – in 2023 Leigh& Hull KR shows what can be down

Guasch brought together 3 clubs in his wisdom, XIII Calalan, St. Esteve and St. Cyptien – and where it brought them

Catalans Dragons, and Bernard, have achieved so much in such a short space of time. I remember coming over with the Broncos organisation to see London play UTC in a pre-season friendly - the very week the club announced the Dragons re-brand - and as enjoyable that experience was the size of crowd, quality of facilities and overall professionalism of the operation is night and day difference between then and now. 

This is what can be achieved if owners invest in building a club, rather than just a team. 

• Like 10

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

47 minutes ago, audois said:

i would say 11 are now competitive with Wakefield starting to get there act together after a nightmare start. Castleford have been competitive in recent season and are going through a transitional period.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, south yorkshire said:

i would say 11 are now competitive with Wakefield starting to get there act together after a nightmare start. Castleford have been competitive in recent season and are going through a transitional period.  

Part of the transition may be in the Championship.

The obvious lesson of Catalans will be lost in that small area of West Yorkshire, though.

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

This is what can be achieved if owners invest in building a club, rather than just a team. 

It's also what could happen if a club is parachuted into Super League, not relegated for 3 years and make use of the monies from the broadcast deal.

Not every club is so lucky.

Kudos to Monsieur Guasch for his coaching appointments,also.

Mick Potter to build the club, and that McNamara chap who the knowledgeable rugby league fans at Bradford didn't rate.

Time is a valuable commodity.  

• Like 5

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, Gomersall said:

How do you know Hull KR’s crowd figures when they don’t publish them?

I think, Gomersall, that Gordon's specific Hull KR figure was the crowd they drew when they visited Perpignan.  I am not sure of the basis for his more general observation about Hull KR's level of support.

Bernard Guasch's achievement in creating and nurturing Les Dracs is clearly exceptional.  I imagine that he has taken his obviously well honed business skills (Accueil - Guasch Viandes (guasch-viandes.com) and combined them with his fervent passion for our game (so fervent that it got him into trouble sometimes in his own playing days - e.g. towards the end of the 1980-81 season) to create the Catalans Dragons club which we have today.

Edited by Wiltshire Warrior Dragon
words in wrong order
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, audois said:

And dont forget the name Gordon 🙂 

Was going to be Perpignan St Esteve Mediterranean until someone that I see in the mirror every morning when i shave convinced them that it was bonkers and CATALAN DRAGONS was born:)))

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

It's also what could happen if a club is parachuted into Super League, not relegated for 3 years and make use of the monies from the broadcast deal.

Mick Potter to build the club, and that McNamara chap who the knowledgeable rugby league fans at Bradford didn't rate.

Mick Potter was great and Steve has been fantastic

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

And dont forget the name Gordon 🙂 

Was going to be Perpignan St Esteve Mediterranean until someone that I see in the mirror every morning when i shave convinced them that it was bonkers and CATALAN DRAGONS was born:)))

Okay. 

• Like 1

Cymru Am Byth/New South Wales

3 hours ago, Gomersall said:

How do you know Hull KR’s crowd figures when they don’t publish them?

Rovers published their average attendances to-date at the start of May, which at 8,800 was the club's best-ever average since promotion to Super League. They'll publish another update at the end of the season. Whether you like the way the club is doing it or not, you can't see they're not publishing them, or that Audois doesn't have access to that info.

Salty much?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

2 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Rovers published their average attendances to-date at the start of May, which at 8,800 was the club's best-ever average since promotion to Super League. They'll publish another update at the end of the season. Whether you like the way the club is doing it or not, you can't see they're not publishing them, or that Audois doesn't have access to that info.

Salty much?  

Moi? Paranoid much?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I think maybe the lesson we should take from this "advantage" is to do it like that again, seeing as it has demonstrably worked, rather than to dismissively say the club got 'lucky'?

If we want to grow the game, and make clubs sustainable, maybe we could learn some things from the Catalans model. I'd be pretty confident we'd have a much more robust Toulouse this season had they been able to implement a 3-year plan instead of start some expensive yo-yo process, and rugby league would be all the better for it.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Gomersall said:

Moi? Paranoid much?

Nah, just calling it as I see it, based on the facts to hand 👍

24 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I think maybe the lesson we should take from this "advantage" is to do it like that again, seeing as it has demonstrably worked, rather than to dismissively say the club got 'lucky'?

If we want to grow the game, and make clubs sustainable, maybe we could learn some things from the Catalans model. I'd be pretty confident we'd have a much more robust Toulouse this season had they been able to implement a 3-year plan instead of start some expensive yo-yo process, and rugby league would be all the better for it.  

Genuine question just how sustainable are Catalan? 

I mean if Gausch passes away will it be business as usual? 

12 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

My understanding is they may now have the biggest turnover in Superleague, surpassing Leeds. Or if not, then certainly a close 2nd. So with their membership size and corporate base driving record revenues you'd have thought in a salary-capped sport it would be possible to break even or get within £500k of it (so attract another local investor), depending on how much you blow on marquee players. I'd expect @ATLANTISMAN to have a good handle on it though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Salty much?  

Why can every other club publish weekly figures but Hull KR refuse when obviously they could? There must be a reason beyond being awkward. People are interested in something beyond an average stretching over a prolonged period. Your defense of their action gave no reason. It's not about being salty, it's about calling out an unacceptable practice. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

25 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Why can every other club publish weekly figures but Hull KR refuse when obviously they could? There must be a reason beyond being awkward. People are interested in something beyond an average stretching over a prolonged period. Your defense of their action gave no reason. It's not about being salty, it's about calling out an unacceptable practice. 

I'm not defending it, where did I do that? I'm indifferent on the subject. I was simply pointing out that our salty pal is wrong: Hull KR have published their attendance info. Just not as quickly or as frequently as Saxa's top customer would like. But published them they have nonetheless, so the data exists to support the point Audois was making. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, audois said:

@audois was this the point you were making with this post ?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

No, no, no, no, no, P&R works. Or so we're told. If you change anything about P&R you are taking away from the very fabric of the game. 

• Haha 1

new rise.jpg

5 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

The club is totally sustainable revenue min of 15 million a year Bernard is the president (Like an elected leader) he doesn't need to put money in that's a myth.

Take away the salary cap and the club would walk it match day VIP shop and bar revenue is around 250K alone and that's before a ticket is even sold.

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1