Sat 12th Aug: Men's Challenge Cup Final: Hull KR v Leigh Leopards KO 15:00 (BBC)

Who will win?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull KR by 13 points or more
    • Hull KR by 7 to 12 points
    • Hull KR by 1 to 6 points
    • Leigh Leopards by 1 to 6 points
    • Leigh Leopards by 7 to 12 points
    • Leigh Leopards by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/08/23 at 14:30

8 hours ago, Andy JG said:

Attended my 1st Wembley final since 1995...(went to 1978 & 84 to 95).... and i'd forgotten what a wonderful family occasion it is.

I'm a big LFC fan and went the FA Cup Final last season and it's night and day the difference in how it felt...respecting anthems, lack of hatred, no drug taking, respect for opponents, being able to sit down in your seat.

I'm more of a lapsed Leigh fan who used to go home and away in the early 80s, but then drifted away due to work and family commitments. But as someone who actually cried when we lost a winnable home quarter final in 1982, and inconsolable losing a semi final in 87, I had to be there yesterday. The 1982 version of me would never have forgiven the 2023 me if I hadn't gone.

I've actually seen us win the Championship (1982) and Challenge Cup now, the 2 major prizes which isn't bad going for a little club.

Thoroughly enjoyed the day despite Avanti West Coasts Trains best efforts.

Had pre booked 9.10am from Runcorn to Euston... woke by my e mail at 5am telling me the train had been cancelled. Only alternative from Runcorn that had spaces was 7.10am...so basically had to get out in a rush. Coming back was booked on the 8.10pm return. Got to Euston at 7pm... lo and behold this had been cancelled also. Managed to get on an alternative. What a joke the railways are in this country. 

Thought it was a terrific game... edge of my seat...and I was literally shaking in the last 5 minutes, my son was worried for my health.

As a live sporting event it was as good as I've ever been to, including Liverpool in Istanbul.

Great Post Andy and let's hope you attend more and you have the feeling back for our great game. 

The games you mention feel like yesterday. Thankfully, it was our day and we are yet to taste defeat at Wembley 👍

21 hours ago, phiggins said:

A GF win would be absolutely ridiculous. I’ve seen my team win a major trophy. Never thought I’d see that.

The team can put their feet up for the rest of the season for all I care. They’ve earned it. 

Hi Higgy, - first sentance - and apart from a very few when did you realise we could be going to Wembley and come home with the cup, Mr Lam is still adamant that "This Group" as he likes to term them still has some way to go on improvement, step up another couple of notches and we are a natch for anyone, the GF may not be as ridiculous as you think.

Secondly, the team can put their feet up in my opinion till Wednesday, give them 2 days off with the instruction that they turn up refreshed to carry on with the season we have been having, Saturday is now history forever etched in the record books, we have more to acheive the season is not over, the Captain doesn't drink, he will set the example and EXPECT all to follow.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi Higgy, - first sentance - and apart from a very few when did you realise we could be going to Wembley and come home with the cup, Mr Lam is still adamant that "This Group" as he likes to term them still has some way to go on improvement, step up another couple of notches and we are a natch for anyone, the GF may not be as ridiculous as you think.

Secondly, the team can put their feet up in my opinion till Wednesday, give them 2 days off with the instruction that they turn up refreshed to carry on with the season we have been having, Saturday is now history forever etched in the record books, we have more to acheive the season is not over, the Captain doesn't drink, he will set the example and EXPECT all to follow.

When did I think we 'could' go to Wembley? Given the current structure, I think any SL club could get to Wembley. When did I think we would get to Wembley, probably when the touch judges waved Makinson's conversion away. And even then, there was more time left to play than I thought!

My point was, there was a particular edge to this game, for both teams. Because after both teams won the semi finals, this was the big chance to win a trophy. There might not have the same edge to it if it was against Wigan, the last few finals have shown how difficult it is for a new team to win something, against one that's been there and done it.

The rest of the season won't have that edge, we've had a successful season come what may. I'm sure the coach and players will be consciously wanting to keep going, but our next game is against the league leaders, and we saw at Wigan what effect a draining cup game can have, and I was still exhausted yesterday after only watching it! A defeat on Saturday will make us outsiders for top 2, which is vital for play offs. But I don't care.

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Met a mate yesterday at the homecoming what you can see is the result of HKR fan who immediately Lachy Lam dropped the goal decided to hit the nearest Leigh fan to him and then he ran off.

20230814_080007.jpg.f659142b06e326a2dee8c817136c404f.jpg

Sadly some idiots can't contain themselves. On the flip side, I went into Box Park after the game, saw plenty of Hull KR fans enjoying their nights, some even having a dance with Leigh fans, let alone a chat. I'd say the vast vast majority of KR fans were excellent

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Sadly some idiots can't contain themselves. On the flip side, I went into Box Park after the game, saw plenty of Hull KR fans enjoying their nights, some even having a dance with Leigh fans, let alone a chat. I'd say the vast vast majority of KR fans were excellent

Off course and I agree wholeheartedly, but it is and always will be the idiots who get the headlines, my mate can't just sweep it under the carpet as though it didn't happen, physically and mentally it could scar him, who knows?

18 minutes ago, phiggins said:

When did I think we 'could' go to Wembley? Given the current structure, I think any SL club could get to Wembley. When did I think we would get to Wembley, probably when the touch judges waved Makinson's conversion away. And even then, there was more time left to play than I thought!

My point was, there was a particular edge to this game, for both teams. Because after both teams won the semi finals, this was the big chance to win a trophy. There might not have the same edge to it if it was against Wigan, the last few finals have shown how difficult it is for a new team to win something, against one that's been there and done it.

The rest of the season won't have that edge, we've had a successful season come what may. I'm sure the coach and players will be consciously wanting to keep going, but our next game is against the league leaders, and we saw at Wigan what effect a draining cup game can have, and I was still exhausted yesterday after only watching it! A defeat on Saturday will make us outsiders for top 2, which is vital for play offs. But I don't care.

Have you give up on any chance of a victory on Saturday Higgy?

I haven't.

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Have you give up on any chance of a victory on Saturday Higgy?

I haven't.

Not given up completely, and I'll be there regardless. But it's a massive ask for the team to back up the efforts on Saturday against Catalans. They're not robots.

I'll be stood in the North Stand, cheering any tries scored, being disappointed by tries conceded and being irritated by any ref's calls that go against us (despite the fact they will more than likely be correct!).  But whatever happens, I won't be as crestfallen as I was when Hull KR scored their second try on Saturday, or anywhere near as elated as I was when the drop goal went over. The rest of the season is a free hit.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, phiggins said:

Not given up completely, and I'll be there regardless. But it's a massive ask for the team to back up the efforts on Saturday against Catalans. They're not robots.

I'll be stood in the North Stand, cheering any tries scored, being disappointed by tries conceded and being irritated by any ref's calls that go against us (despite the fact they will more than likely be correct!).  But whatever happens, I won't be as crestfallen as I was when Hull KR scored their second try on Saturday, or anywhere near as elated as I was when the drop goal went over. The rest of the season is a free hit.

A great example on what sport is about emotionally for the fan. 

Leigh haven't given up on the League. No doubt, they may have partied but no better opportunity to get LSV filled and spread the gospel on National TV yet again. 

One game doesn't make the season. Saw the parade on Twitter and them 10s of thousands need to get there at the LSV for the remainder of the campaign 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

One game doesn't make the season. Saw the parade on Twitter and them 10s of thousands need to get there at the LSV for the remainder of the campaign 👍

They do. But I fear a trick has been missed there. Should've had posters everywhere with URL / QR code to the ticket site. Would've sold a bunch there and then. People won't just come, the games need to be promoted.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phiggins said:

They do. But I fear a trick has been missed there. Should've had posters everywhere with URL / QR code to the ticket site. Would've sold a bunch there and then. People won't just come, the games need to be promoted.

If this wasn't done, then they have missed a trick. I'm still on Hols but what an opportunity missed as all 4 stands are available for Home supporters on Sat

Derek mentioned doing something for the Cats game, and Wembley will always be an expensive day but what an opportunity to fill LSV and the attendance record the week after becoming Challenge Cup winners! 

No taking the foot off the gas as a win over Catalans really puts us back in the race and helps solidify top 4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

A great example on what sport is about emotionally for the fan. 

Leigh haven't given up on the League. No doubt, they may have partied but no better opportunity to get LSV filled and spread the gospel on National TV yet again. 

Let's hope that some of those who have crawled out of the woodwork continue to stay in the daylight and support the team, last year we had a number of attendances under 3,000 which I was witness to.

I well remember back in '71 when the town hall square was full of elated fans only to be brought back down to earth, the very next day when that adopted 'favourite' son of Leigh A.J. Murphy left the club then raped it and took a number of our better player's with him to Warrington.

But we have exactly the reverse happening today, the owner has promised money to keep building, the coach is commited, our best player's are staying put and going nowhere, if this doesn't keep the attdendances up nothing will.

I said on these pages at the start of the season if Leigh can manage to get 6,500 Home Fans to the games at the LSV that will be very very good, I will now say they deserve much more, the fans were there lining the route and in Leigh town centre yesterday, they just need to get through the turnstiles now, Derek, the club, coaching staff and player's have earned it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I haven't read all this thread, so apologies if this point has already been raised.

I bought the Sunday Times yesterday.

23 pages of sport and not one mention of the Challenge Cup Final.

• Sad 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

2 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

I haven't read all this thread, so apologies if this point has already been raised.

I bought the Sunday Times yesterday.

23 pages of sport and not one mention of the Challenge Cup Final.

What was the dominant sport in those 23 pages?

3 minutes ago, phiggins said:

What was the dominant sport in those 23 pages?

Women's and Men's Soccer and two pages on the Wales v England RU friendly ... four pages in total on RU.

Stephen Jones' byline photo looks suitably smug.

Needless to say, I won't buy the Sunday Times again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Met a mate yesterday at the homecoming what you can see is the result of HKR fan who immediately Lachy Lam dropped the goal decided to hit the nearest Leigh fan to him and then he ran off.

Traceable by seat number. Contact the RFL and the stadium.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Regarding the assault,Wembley has fantastic cctv.Also look where the offender was sitting. It's a clear section 47 assault. Offender needs locating and placing before the courts. 

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

My son was there with his Hull KR supporting mate and they witnessed the assault on your friend. My lad said it was a completely unprovoked attack on somebody who was just enjoying the moment.  I sincerely hope the lowlife responsible doesn't get away with it.

• Thanks 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

10 minutes ago, Wirral Warrior said:

There was a small 1/4 page report on page 20, just above the Racing results. 4 pages on Union plus a piece on page 1 about Farrells (Owen not Liam) red card and rest on football. 

So there was. My apologies.

I still won't buy it again.

I was in the local gym on Sunday,a couple of friends came up,both avid football fans,knowing that I was a Salford Red Devils fan, they asked,Did you see the final yesterday? I replied yes that I had seen the final, what did you think of it,they said?, I replied that I realy enjoyed it.

Their comments afterwards were-Well that game both before,during and after the match had everything that football is lacking at present, it was one of the best games in any sport that they had seen.

Well done to Leigh Leopards and Hull KR for putting on a show such as they did.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1