War of the Roses (2023 Thread)

I know, I know...here we go again, the annual origin thread but here me out. There's been lots of talk of mid season internationals recently and we've tried everything else. The CNA/Exiles is a naff idea and playing France means a weakened France team.

Isn't it worth just having a go. I know there might be certain drawbacks but I think it's worth rolling the dice.

We have a roses game at almost every other level of the game, why not super league?

OK go ahead, unleash your worst.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Time flies.  Didn't we just just finish a Roses thread like a month ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

32 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

That’s why I appreciate that this thread has a year in the title. 👍

There have been several threads in 2023 where this has been done to death. Perhaps it needs the month, or even week, in the title too.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

Right I guess it's back to having England vs whoevers left for a CNA team or battering a second string France squad then.

If we have a Roses game/series, and I am not against the concept, it should not be instead of an England game against France, it should be as well as.

There is some uncertainty about international Rugby League, as there always is, but as the two serious, professional, Rugby League playing nations in the Northern Hemisphere England and France should play each other home and away every single year.

• Like 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

17 hours ago, Richard de la Riviere said:

Sean O’Loughlin is adamant it should be brought back.

Terry O’Connor was also heavily in favour of it.  

To which the only sane response is ... "And?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

You know what, why not. It wouldn't be my preferred thing to do and it shouldn't be at the expense of any test matches. But we hardly play any of those anyway so why pretend it is getting in the way of a thing that wouldn't happen. 

Two match (tops) series, sold as an England selection exercise. Qualification based on birthplace, community or first pro club. Women's series alongside, but NOT double headers. If it fails, at least we can bin off the threads for 4/5 years.

Ok I'm all in. Offer up an Occitanie v Cumbria series too.

Edited by Just Browny
  • Like 4

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

You know what, why not.

Because it would be done really badly, on the cheap, and cease after three years?

And they would be double headers.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

Because it would be done really badly, on the cheap, and cease after three years?

But that's a valid assumption about any RL game, whether it is part of the existing schedule or not.

Three years would be a good timeline, lead us into the next World Cup. If it's failed then, the threads like this will dry up a bit and the next generation can take on the task of killing the next wave of interest.

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I'm in favour of representative football that would help to bridge the club-country gap. Club -> County -> Country.

Getting the best English players together more often can only be good for the national side, even if's just for one game per year (and, yes, even as a double-header with the girls). 

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

To which the only sane response is ... "And?"

Two ex players who are really respected and still work in the game. One from the perspective of a club and one who works in its media. Both have played Roses before 

They have both forgotten more about RL than any of us on here will ever know 

Maybe they might be worth listening to Jon?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Two ex players who are really respected and still work in the game. One from the perspective of a club and one who works in its media. Both have played Roses before 

They have both forgotten more about RL than any of us on here will ever know 

Maybe they might be worth listening to Jon?

What's their perspective on the finances of the day?

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

And they would be double headers.

So if it was done well, not on the cheap and not a double header, you'd be in favour of it?

2 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

So if it was done well, not on the cheap and not a double header, you'd be in favour of it?

Not if it’s only Lancs v Yorks.

And not if it replaces full internationals.