Mon 21st Aug: Ch: Whitehaven v Barrow Raiders KO 19:45 (Viaplay)

Who will win?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Whitehaven
    • Barrow Raiders

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/08/23 at 19:15

30 minutes ago, Havenwarrior2021 said:

You have got to be joking he had a nightmare, you are the dirtiest team we’ve faced all season. Embarrassing 

Thats the sort of reply I expect from a Haven fan after a narrow defeat in a close game...embarrassing for who exactly???

• Like 1

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

2 hours ago, bar red said:

What is embarrassing is a crowd of 1200 for a crucial Cumbria derby.

It's worth pointing out that calling Barrow v Whitehaven a derby is a bit like calling, say, Wigan v Huddersfield or Salford v Leeds a derby, except the latter two journeys would be closer both in distance and travel time (M62 notwithstanding).

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

It's worth pointing out that calling Barrow v Whitehaven a derby is a bit like calling, say, Wigan v Huddersfield or Salford v Leeds a derby, except the latter two journeys would be closer both in distance and travel time (M62 notwithstanding).

If you drive up the A595 from Barrow to Whitehaven I'd be surprised if the towns you went through had a total population higher than 15000. 

Cumbria doesn't really have any large towns except the 3 RL clubs, Penrith, Kendal, Cockermouth and 1 City being Carlisle despite being the 3rd largest county so when we play eachother it feels like a big deal. 

6 minutes ago, RSN said:

If you drive up the A595 from Barrow to Whitehaven I'd be surprised if the towns you went through had a total population higher than 15000. 

Cumbria doesn't really have any large towns except the 3 RL clubs, Penrith, Kendal, Cockermouth and 1 City being Carlisle despite being the 3rd largest county so when we play eachother it feels like a big deal. 

I'd be interested in the views of people from Whitehaven and Workington on this.

To those from Barrow, matches against the west Cumberland clubs are against the nearest rivals despite not being particularly close. Do Haven and Town fans consider matches against Barrow to be a big deal, or just those against each other?

1 minute ago, Barley Mow said:

I'd be interested in the views of people from Whitehaven and Workington on this.

To those from Barrow, matches against the west Cumberland clubs are against the nearest rivals despite not being particularly close. Do Haven and Town fans consider matches against Barrow to be a big deal, or just those against each other?

Town v Haven is bigger, but Town v Barra is still a big game and a local grudge match.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bar red said:

What is embarrassing is a crowd of 1200 for a crucial Cumbria derby.

Maybe blame the RFL for putting it on a Monday night would have been well over 2000 there if it had been a Sunday 3pm kick off. Poor away support also didn’t help we took over 500 to barrow away. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Havenwarrior2021 said:

Maybe blame the RFL for putting it on a Monday night would have been well over 2000 there if it had been a Sunday 3pm kick off. Poor away support also didn’t help we took over 500 to barrow away. 

But then there's the fee from Viaplay for moving a plum fixture to a Monday night isn't there ?

56 minutes ago, Havenwarrior2021 said:

You took 500 (probably nearer 300) on Good Friday. A bit different to a Monday night in August!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

down under they refer to cowboys v broncos a derby…..its almost exactly the same distance as wigan to Moscow!

Something to do with Australian education system I think!

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

down under they refer to cowboys v broncos a derby…..its almost exactly the same distance as wigan to Moscow!

Something to do with Australian education system I think!

It's a North Queensland Derby- apparently.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Anita Bath said:

Brisbane is in south queensland…as I said….summat to do with the way they teach geography.

Must be lol, my Son lives in Brisbane but the media class all the QLD teams as derby's.

15 hours ago, Fevrover said:

I don't think there is a fee, iam it was mentioned when Fev were on a few times.

If the clubs get no fee then what's the point of the contract and did they all agree to it ? Where is the benefit ?

TV matches seem somewhat intermittent too. Viewing figures must be minimal and there would be greater attendance on a Sunday. 

3 minutes ago, Szymala said:

If the clubs get no fee then what's the point of the contract and did they all agree to it ? Where is the benefit ?

TV matches seem somewhat intermittent too. Viewing figures must be minimal and there would be greater attendance on a Sunday. 

Going to lose money playing on Monday nights for a start then not to get any fee for being on is crazy. Anyway it's the last season Viaplay are showing Ruby League. 

As a neutral....Town fan........thought both Teams tried their best to lose it as nearly every try began with a needless penalty given away , discipline on both sides poor .Different styles of play on view , Haven liked to batter it up the middle to gain a foothold and then open up , Barrow seemed more expansive with a good kicking game .......Ref as some have said seemed to get nearly all 50/50s wrong but didn`t favour either side ......Cracking match .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JonM said:

That run and offload from Jamie Doran for a try must be one of the passes of the season.

Someone showed me that at our Masters training session last night. Cracking try! It it was a SuperLeague team. the Sky pundits would be doing summersaults!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1