Fri 18th Aug: SL: Wigan Warriors v Hull FC KO 20:00

Who will win?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Hull FC

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/08/23 at 19:30

Massive game for Hull. It isn't a must win just yet, but if we do win I reckon we are more likely than not to make the playoffs. Especially if Rovers get a real drubbing at Saints, which is entirely possible after what Rovers have gone through this week.

Wigan look a bit light in the pack and if we can play with good (controlled) aggression and intensity then I think we can make it a tough night for them and there's no reason why we can't get a result. 

Hull by 6

13 hours ago, MZH said:

Massive game for Hull. It isn't a must win just yet, but if we do win I reckon we are more likely than not to make the playoffs. Especially if Rovers get a real drubbing at Saints, which is entirely possible after what Rovers have gone through this week.

Wigan look a bit light in the pack and if we can play with good (controlled) aggression and intensity then I think we can make it a tough night for them and there's no reason why we can't get a result. 

Hull by 6

There's 2 games I have down that I don't think we'll win but would still make the playoffs: this and Saints away.

The rest I believe we should be favourites in. That doesn't mean we'll win in them, nor the we won't win this, but I don't think it's a "must win".

Huddersfield away the other week I thought was a massive loss for us, making the Wakefield game "must win". If we do win this one, I think we're nailed on to finish top 6. We actually for the first time this season (I think, certainly since March!) in the top 6 favourites to win the league. Considering I think we were 250/1 to win the league at one point, that's done achievement!

We really need Warrington to continue their slump though, and Saints giving Rovers a tonking would help but you just know this is one of those games were they'll shock everyone!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

A really close game in prospect I think. We have been up and down and I don't really write anything in to the last 2 games against the cup finalists. Our best 3 props are Cooper, Havard and Ellis and all 3 miss out tonight, against a good Hull pack, so a Hull win wouldn't shock me. 

I'll go Wigan to win it by 6.

12-12 FT. Last minute try for Wigan after a Tuimavave sin bin. Missed the kick.

40m DG Harry Smith in the second half of ET. Heartbreak for Hull after such a huge defensive effort. 2 off with head injuries might be an issue next week too.

Gutted, but didn't expect to win this one. The affect of injuries on next week is the big issue now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

12-12 FT. Last minute try for Wigan after a Tuimavave sin bin. Missed the kick.

40m DG Harry Smith in the second half of ET. Heartbreak for Hull after such a huge defensive effort. 2 off with head injuries might be an issue next week too.

Gutted, but didn't expect to win this one. The affect of injuries on next week is the big issue now.

Golden point really is a ###### way to finish the game. It is doubly so when the losing team gets nothing for their effort and for drawing after 80 minutes.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Damien said:

Golden point really is a ###### way to finish the game. It is doubly so when the losing team gets nothing for their effort and for drawing after 80 minutes.

I agree definitely both teams deserve a point each or 2 for the winners and 1 for losers. It's one of the worst things to come from Australia.

• Like 4

terrible first half by both teams better second half in the pouring rain wigan just about deserved it after spending the first five minutes of extra time on hulls line bombing trys and drop kicks.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

If Harry's place-kicking was as good as his kicking from the hand, Wigan might win a few more games per season.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

36 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

If Harry's place-kicking was as good as his kicking from the hand, Wigan might win a few games per season.

You haven't seen his other attempts! That was the hardest one and I think all Wigan fans had given up hope by this point.

Seriously, who do I speak to if I want to get those last two hours of my life back? Not only was that a terrible advert for golden point it was a terrible advert for rugby league in general. Just painful to watch and if there was ever a game that you didn't want to go to golden point it was this one.

I have no idea what Wigan's tactics were in the first half. Maybe the idea was to try to put points on the board early while the weather was dry because the rain would make things grind to a halt but basically Wigan spent the first 20 minutes making some wild choices in attack and turning the ball over on the 1st or 2nd tackles trying to make things happen seemingly oblivious to the idea of keeping hold of the ball and making the opposition work hard in defence.

Our front row actually stood up quite well and make good ground. It wasn't a game where we struggled in the forwards which is often the case. We'd make good metres, get some good position and throw it away trying something that wasn't really on. I've rarely seen a team have so much territory but make the defence do so little work.

I can only assume it's partly the Briers influence. If you watch Brisbane their style of attack is quite high risk. They rarely go for repeat sets and seem to try to score with every set. They can do that and be successful because they are a good team. Wigan on the other hand would do well to just play the low risk play and take the ball into the corner once in a while rather than trying to score on every play because most of the time it doesn't work. Rather than throwing it wide on tackle 2 just play a conservative set or two.

Fortunately the second half was a little bit better, though the weather was horrendous so it was still turgid. Then I had to watch golden point and 5 minutes of Wigan failing spectacularly at setting up a drop goal despite being camped on the Hull line for a lot of it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

After Rolf Harris.

Rolf, Aussies then the golden point.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

7 hours ago, EagleEyePie said:

You haven't seen his other attempts! That was the hardest one and I think all Wigan fans had given up hope by this point.

Seriously, who do I speak to if I want to get those last two hours of my life back? Not only was that a terrible advert for golden point it was a terrible advert for rugby league in general. Just painful to watch and if there was ever a game that you didn't want to go to golden point it was this one.

I have no idea what Wigan's tactics were in the first half. Maybe the idea was to try to put points on the board early while the weather was dry because the rain would make things grind to a halt but basically Wigan spent the first 20 minutes making some wild choices in attack and turning the ball over on the 1st or 2nd tackles trying to make things happen seemingly oblivious to the idea of keeping hold of the ball and making the opposition work hard in defence.

Our front row actually stood up quite well and make good ground. It wasn't a game where we struggled in the forwards which is often the case. We'd make good metres, get some good position and throw it away trying something that wasn't really on. I've rarely seen a team have so much territory but make the defence do so little work.

I can only assume it's partly the Briers influence. If you watch Brisbane their style of attack is quite high risk. They rarely go for repeat sets and seem to try to score with every set. They can do that and be successful because they are a good team. Wigan on the other hand would do well to just play the low risk play and take the ball into the corner once in a while rather than trying to score on every play because most of the time it doesn't work. Rather than throwing it wide on tackle 2 just play a conservative set or two.

Fortunately the second half was a little bit better, though the weather was horrendous so it was still turgid. Then I had to watch golden point and 5 minutes of Wigan failing spectacularly at setting up a drop goal despite being camped on the Hull line for a lot of it.

I have no idea what Wigan's tactics were

That puts you on a level with the team, I feel, judging by recent performances.  As a Wigan fan, it beats my why Peat is persisting with Smith as place-kicker. If he'd popped just one over during normal time there'd have been no need for extra time and the drama and excitement of Golden Point. 

I'm still quietly confident we can sneak into the playoffs. Didn't think Salford would return to form so emphatically though!

We've only failed to beat 3 sides this year: Leigh, Catalans and Salford. If we finish 6th, Leigh 3rd, Catalans 1st and Salford 5th, that could potentially be our route to the winning the GF 🤣 Can't see 5th v 6th in the final like, nor another final not featuring the big 4, but it's been a strange season!