Castleford stadium.

The issue with the above approach is the EA don't give a stuff about any of the mitigation about atmosphere, fan zones or training pitches. It sounds like pretty extensive infrastucture works they're after and a proposal needs putting forward to satisfy their concerns, not feeble excuses as to why they shouldn't have to be done. Surprised that Eastwoods have written such a flimsy report, but hey, they get paid regardless. 

Edited by PREPOSTEROUS
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

I do remember Cas ground being flooded but it seemed a while back. I can also only remember one flood. Any Cas fans out there who could help with the actual date.

Further to that, I think this could be an over reaction from the environment agency 

Perhaps, but that's true of most government bodies, particularly with a litigious society we live in these days

7 hours ago, dboy said:

Something's afoot. Eastwood Consulting Engineers, appointed by the developer, have responded to the Environment Agencies requirements, saying they can't afford to do them.

That letter has now been taken down from the planning portal!!

When there was the proposal to build a supermarket to fund their move to the original Glasshoughton site I'm fairly sure when the flood risk came up the developer expressed surprise that the land was at risk of flooding (made me wonder whether they'd ever looked at a map of the area) and stated that the mitigations required would make the development unprofitable?

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep

Surely even if the y had to meet the requirements, they are only building one stand and to raise it 1.5 metres is not such a big deal. In fact if the showed a bit of innovation ,the void benesth could be utilised for other beneficial things. The rest of the ground is concrete terrace and not being altered just a cosmetic tidy up.

5 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

I do remember Cas ground being flooded but it seemed a while back. I can also only remember one flood. Any Cas fans out there who could help with the actual date.

Further to that, I think this could be an over reaction from the environment agency 

That's not the issue, though the Cas developer is trying to make that argument - it's the fact that a new development takes up space/volume and would push floodwaters into space that they don't normally reach.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

When there was the proposal to build a supermarket to fund their move to the original Glasshoughton site the flood risk I'm fairly sure when the flood risk came up the developer expressed surprise that the land was at risk of flooding (made me wonder whether they'd ever looked at a map of the area) and stated that the mitigations required would make the development unprofitable?

Yes.  The environment agencies flood plain website is excellent - out in a postcode and it will show you exactly the flood risk.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember the last match of the 1997 season, we were at Cas. It was a bit drizzly and, about ten minutes from the end, the puddles started encroaching onto the pitch. The score was 10-10 at that point and I thought the ref should've abandoned the game there. Nothing of any importance at stake, no play-off spot, no relegation place. Cas kicked a late penalty and won 12-10.

The dressing rooms were flooded and folk in the stand had to be ferried out in boats.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

54 minutes ago, Griff said:

I remember the last match of the 1997 season, we were at Cas. It was a bit drizzly and, about ten minutes from the end, the puddles started encroaching onto the pitch. The score was 10-10 at that point and I thought the ref should've abandoned the game there. Nothing of any importance at stake, no play-off spot, no relegation place. Cas kicked a late penalty and won 12-10.

The dressing rooms were flooded and folk in the stand had to be ferried out in boats.

1997 ?! Bet it hasn't changed.

1 hour ago, Fevrover said:

1997 ?! Bet it hasn't changed.

It hasn't changed since 1967, let alone 1997.

(Bit of an exaggeration, but not much.)

• Haha 3

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

On 17/09/2023 at 13:15, Agbrigg said:

It isn’t.  All new builds require reductions in outfalls etc etc to reduce the risk to both themselves but more importantly the rest of the area.  Waste water pipes dimensions are also more limited.Whoever is trying to push this through needs to engage with an organisation who know what they’re doing.

21 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

It isn’t.  All new builds require reductions in outfalls etc etc to reduce the risk to both themselves but more importantly the rest of the area.  Waste water pipes dimensions are also more limited.Whoever is trying to push this through needs to engage with an organisation who know what they’re doing.

Fair enough, however perhaps they do actually know what they are doing and what is required. However perhaps they also know the cost of the requirements and that is what they are trying to avoid.

48 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Fair enough, however perhaps they do actually know what they are doing and what is required. However perhaps they also know the cost of the requirements and that is what they are trying to avoid.

There are ways to ‘hold’ water, such as underground tanks that help to irrigate and also capture surface water run off Aggy.  HKR had that option but opted out of it for a swale, that is no use to anyone other than a wetlands area.

They can’t just jump the environmental requirements though, that will just delay things and may also incur further costs for the advice they are receiving!

• 3 weeks later...

Given there are fractions of a grading point at stake here, and those could mean semi-permanent exclusion/inclusion in the top division. You can see why Cas would spend big money to make minor improvements to the ground, the costs if they don't would be huge. 

Not exactly a long term growth and sustainability model though is it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hopie said:

Given there are fractions of a grading point at stake here, and those could mean semi-permanent exclusion/inclusion in the top division. You can see why Cas would spend big money to make minor improvements to the ground, the costs if they don't would be huge. 

Cas have had a choice about making improvements to the ground or doing nothing to Wheldon Road and waiting (hoping) for a totally new ground to be built. They've done the latter.

Now they'll be kicked up the backside to actually do something, which is what everyone has been wanting.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Cas have had a choice about making improvements to the ground or doing nothing to Wheldon Road and waiting (hoping) for a totally new ground to be built. They've done the latter.

Now they'll be kicked up the backside to actually do something, which is what everyone has been wanting.

But all too late...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hopie said:

Doubt they have the money to even do the bodge

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

It's not too late. These gradings were just illustrative. The real gradings for 2025 will come out at the end of next year. These gradings really don't mean much.

What do you think they can achieve in the the available timeframe?

Its reported that their planning app won't go in until January at the earliest. Assuming they get it passed (the Environment Agency have an objection on file), then funding is tied down, then contracts are tendered, then a construction company engaged, then spades in the ground, then a 40 week build (if you're the luckiest construction firm in the world)...in what world is it not "too late" for Cas to significantly change their grade score?

Add in the fact that the developer has already stated that the costs of changes demanded by the EA can't be achieved in the build budget.

Edited by dboy