Fri 22nd Sept: SL: Leigh Leopards v Wigan Warriors KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leigh Leopards
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/09/23 at 19:30

1 minute ago, High Peak Rhino said:

and there was no obstruction

What you on about, I never mentioned that incident, I was pointing out you can't have a little obstruction, it is or it isn't.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Agreed. The on field decision just isn't needed in the slightest. 

I personally don't mind the on field decision call and there was plenty of controversy when we didn't have it with accusations of referees bottling it and video refs being forced to guess on decisions with a worse angle than the on field ref had. All personal preference but there have certainly been issues with both ways of doing it.

Edited by Damien

It's all going on with the various scores! Trying to keep track of the live ladder is making my brain hurt.

https://www.flashscore.com/rugby-league/

• Haha 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Damien said:

I personally don't mind the on field decision call and there was plenty of controversy when we didn't have it with accusations of referees bottling it and video refs being forced to guess on decisions with a worse angle than tge on field ref had. All personal preference but there have certainly been issues with both ways of doing it.

Refs call was the solution imo, they had it in year 1. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

We managed for years without it. It hasn't cleared anythibg up, it's caused far more controversy than any benefit. 

No we had the awful moment were we went from the VR saying he couldn’t decide and it going back to the ref. Off topic a bit here but personally I’d go with the NRL version ref makes the decision then the VR has a quick look to find anything before the goal kick or play restarts. 

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

It's all going on with the various scores! Trying to keep track of the live ladder is making my brain hurt.

https://www.flashscore.com/rugby-league/

It's a shame it's not quite as slick on Sky (or the SL Twitter feed) as it should be. Long gaps without knowing that there have been scores elsewhere. 

Just now, Damien said:

But it was just the same thing, video refs just sent it back down.

It really wasn't. In the old system the VR just watches it and makes a decision. A very, very small number were sent down in cases where the ball was not seen etc. Tries like the disallowed obstruction one would never ever have been sent back. 

Now the VR has to actively prove the ref wrong, instead of just looking at what he sees. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mapleyther said:

The sad thing is all this publicity about the final round and people tune in and see how utterly inept the officials are.

They don't though, the majority don't know what an obstruction is. 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

6 minutes ago, Padge said:

What you on about, I never mentioned that incident, I was pointing out you can't have a little obstruction, it is or it isn't.

Wasn’t the VR trying to ascertain whether the contact was “flush” and ended up giving the try after being unable to find conclusive evidence either way?

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Leigh down to 5th!

KR piling on the points now.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

It really wasn't. In the old system the VR just watches it and makes a decision. A very, very small number were sent down in cases where the ball was not seen etc. Tries like the disallowed obstruction one would never ever have been sent back. 

Now the VR has to actively prove the ref wrong, instead of just looking at what he sees. 

I think it was. As I said it boils down to personal opinion. Every system we have had has had faults and none have been perfect.

I personally think the real failings come from the poor way we implement these things and the poor standards we have in SL all round. The whole process, clarity and application of rules is street's away from the NRL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Padge said:

They don't though, the majority don't know what an obstruction is. 

Also, it's sport - most people are well aware that there is controversy (or not depending on your stance). 

We can have bad decisions and talk about them, debate them without it being a disaster. It's part of the fun of sport. 

• Like 3

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Wasn’t the VR trying to ascertain whether the contact was “flush” and ended up giving the try after being unable to find conclusive evidence either way?

My comment was not about that, it was a response to another comment.

Just now, Damien said:

I think it was. As I said it boils down to personal opinion. Every system we have had has had faults and none have been perfect.

I personally think the real failings come from the poor way we implement these things and the poor standards we have in SL all round. The whole process, clarity and application of rules is street's away from the NRL.

Have you seen the hyperbolic whingeing from NRL fans on social media at every decision, even ones that are clearly and provably direct?

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson