The IMG scoring system - things you may, or may not have realised

3 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

That's nothing to do with IMG criteria, it's the RFL that have long allowed it. 

That is exactly why RFL attract the reputation of being a tin pot out fit. What other professional sport would allow such a farcical situation. No club that is unable to provide a playing area which meets the laws of the game should be allowed in the competition END OF !!!

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

That is exactly why RFL attract the reputation of being a tin pot out fit. What other professional sport would allow such a farcical situation. No club that is unable to provide a playing area which meets the laws of the game should be allowed in the competition END OF !!!

Cricket held a World Cup game at a ground with a tree in the pitch. It even had special rules for when the ball hit the tree. Let’s not pretend only RL allows these sort of quirks. Am I right I’m thinking RL has an optimum size that it wants its pitches to be. If I remember correctly it also says that all pitches should be as close as possible to this as the stadium allows. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Cricket held a World Cup game at a ground with a tree in the pitch. It even had special rules for when the ball hit the tree. Let’s not pretend only RL allows these sort of quirks. Am I right I’m thinking RL has an optimum size that it wants its pitches to be. If I remember correctly it also says that all pitches should be as close as possible to this as the stadium allows. 

Archaic rules Bob, realistically could they change them and make Bradford homeless?

What other club plays on ground with smaller diementions that the optimum required. 

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Archaic rules Bob, realistically could they change them and make Bradford homeless?

What other club plays on ground with smaller diementions that the optimum required. 

Most of them for example the dead ball area should be between 6m-11m deep are there many English RL ground with a 6m deep in goal. Even the grand final is played at a ground that can barely accommodate a 3m in goal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

Most of them for example the dead ball area should be between 6m-11m deep are there many English RL ground with a 6m deep in goal. Even the grand final is played at a ground that can barely accommodate a 3m in goal. 

Given the number of clubs now playing at football grounds this is widespread.

33 minutes ago, Spidey said:

How many are playing with short pitches due to being at a football ground?

Probably every club which is playing at a soccer stadium, even when that's not necessary as in Wigan, Hull and Huddersfield for example. 

I've noticed that even where there's more space available it's generally not used; they usually just lazily mark the end lines where the soccer goal lines are and the goal lines where the soccer goal areas end.

11 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Probably every club which is playing at a soccer stadium, even when that's not necessary as in Wigan, Hull and Huddersfield for example. 

I've noticed that even where there's more space available it's generally not used; they usually just lazily mark the end lines where the soccer goal lines are and the goal lines where the soccer goal areas end.

I’m not sure that’s true teams have to make their pitch as close as possible to the dimensions. You can’t just choose to have a short or narrow pitch because it suits your style say. 

On 22/09/2023 at 12:12, Toby Chopra said:

I query that it will make the spectator experience worse, but it will certainly make the investor, sponsor and broadcaster experience better which is an absolute priority for a sport that's always asking itself why it's so skint and can't get the deals that other sports can. 

And as I said above, it looks like it's only Cas that doesn't meet these standards already so less a choice for them and more a bare minimum if they want to keep a seat at the top table when the sport is hopefully going places.      

Several things here. The TV gantry has been used by Sky without problems for the last 30 years so increasing its size by a metre or so will make sod all difference. There's absolutely nothing in Cas' proposals to improve sponsor or investor experience and if you think effectively removing upward of 50 seats (probably more like 100+ considering the facilities that have to be provided for 50 journalists) from the main stand and replacing them with seats along the front of the Princess St stand doesn't impact negatively on spectator experience.....

2 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

Only a handful of pedantic rugby fans call the RFL tinpot, most couldn't give AF.

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

14 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I’m not sure that’s true teams have to make their pitch as close as possible to the dimensions. You can’t just choose to have a short or narrow pitch because it suits your style say. 

You see in this video that the goal lines and end lines are marked as I described above.

https://youtu.be/JMurmGg-rcA?si=z2eqKMIjOW1fcIP8

27 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

You see in this video that the goal lines and end lines are marked as I described above.

https://youtu.be/JMurmGg-rcA?si=z2eqKMIjOW1fcIP8

Should we just link back to the Vegas thread where this was done in depth?

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, bobbruce said:

I think the ground is in Kent, possibly Cantebury. That tree has been there about 200 years. Anyhow the wicket is still 22yards and so is every other wicket in the professional game. The Odsal pitch is not only short I believe the width is also below what the rules stipulate. It should not be allowed it's a farce. If a club is unable to provide  a playing area within legal dimensions , it should not be allowed to take part.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

I think the ground is in Kent, possibly Cantebury. That tree has been there about 200 years. Anyhow the wicket is still 22yards and so is every other wicket in the professional game. The Odsal pitch is not only short I believe the width is also below what the rules stipulate. It should not be allowed it's a farce. If a club is unable to provide  a playing area within legal dimensions , it should not be allowed to take part.

There are no minimum, only maximum dimensions allowed for in the laws of the game

For adult games the dimensions should be as near maximum as possible to the dimensions stipulated

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

There are no minimum, only maximum dimensions allowed for in the laws of the game

For adult games the dimensions should be as near maximum as possible to the dimensions stipulated

There are minimum dimensions for the pro game - Bradford had to get special dispensations for Odsal to host games (they’re not the only ones)

10 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

I think the ground is in Kent, possibly Cantebury. That tree has been there about 200 years.

It hasn't actually. It died. They planted another in its place.

• Haha 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

9 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

There are minima in the Operational Rules.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

10 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Page A 2:40 from the Operational Guidelines ...
" a clear playing area of not less than 88m nor more than 100m from goal line to goal line and not less than 55m nor more than 68m from touch line to touch line".

I think when Bradford got special dispensation their pitch was something like 52m wide but my memory might be mistaken; I don't know how wide it is now (disappointingly Fordy didn't seem to take his tape measure to Odsal a couple of weeks ago! 😃).

13 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Page A 2:40 from the Operational Guidelines ...
" a clear playing area of not less than 88m nor more than 100m from goal line to goal line and not less than 55m nor more than 68m from touch line to touch line".

I think when Bradford got special dispensation their pitch was something like 52m wide but my memory might be mistaken; I don't know how wide it is now (disappointingly Fordy didn't seem to take his tape measure to Odsal a couple of weeks ago! 😃).

Having checked back, Bradford announced towards the end of the 2021 season that the pitch is now 55m wide and 88m long ie the minimum measurement.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...