Beaumont has another tantrum, threatens to stop investing in Leigh

Beaumont's toddler outbursts are regular as clockwork, you can mark the end of the season by them. We're used to him doing things like putting the club he loves so much into administration and reneging on player payments because he's angry they got relegated, or didn't get promoted, or whatever, but now even in a season where they've won the Challenge Cup and made the play-offs he's still threatening to leave his club in the lurch. What a bloke... thank God I'm not a Leigh fan relying on him. 😳

https://www.patreon.com/posts/89905663?pr=true&fbclid=IwAR2Ifa_WYvBhqLb7JhgdQLzATBUHGTc2omQqiPYixt6RMZ5SziKCbkaxjhE

He's apparently also going to set up a league in competition with Super League, with some mysterious South African investors 🤣🤣🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

It's pretty poor stuff.

Yes, I accept all the mitigation that people offer; he's a fan, he has invested loads into Leigh, he wears his heart on his sleeve, this is a closed forum and not an interview etc...

But.  As a leader you just expect better.  Coaches and players front up after games where they have had a bad call and are self controlled.  This guy starts talking about forming another league with 'proper rugby players' (whatever that means).

he has lots of positive qualities but they shouldn't be used to excuse the negative.  And this is the negative in clear view.  After a superb season for Leigh, which is far from over.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 12

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

He's enough of a fan that I can't see him walking away from Leigh no matter how much he has these frequent tantrums.

Whether he can personally afford to keep putting money in when there is so little financial return in the sport these days, who knows? So he may do his thing of offloading folk but I really can't see him leaving Leigh in the lurch.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

He's enough of a fan that I can't see him walking away from Leigh no matter how much he has these frequent tantrums.

Whether he can personally afford to keep putting money in when there is so little financial return in the sport these days, who knows? So he may do his thing of offloading folk but I really can't see him leaving Leigh in the lurch.

We had a thread last week called "I'm not watching anymore" about fans saying they were giving up on their club/the sport and then being back the next week.

DB occasionally seems to do this writ large.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really thought we were past all of this.

Beaumont has got a lot of goodwill this season and many have grown to admire his passion and commitment to his club. Stories like this are just a reminder of why people were sceptical of him and didn't like some of his actions in the past.

The phrase a leopard doesn't change his spots is most apt in this case.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 18

This outburst was delivered in the immediate aftermath of the game v Wigan, he was very upset with the outcome of the game and the manner he perceived the game was lost, which his view was no different to the vast majority of people who have made judgement on it, including the commentators on the match and posters on here save for some not all myopic Wigan fans. The result sending Leigh to HKR has probably cost the club in the region of £200K which I should imagine will be a commitment he if he stays will have to make up.

This lifelong (60+ years) Leigh fan is very happy with the commitment, time and contribution that Mr Beaumont has put into the club over the past 11 years or so, if he goes I will be upset, but he will leave with my thanks for the ride he has taken me on with my team.

He is a different character to those (Ian Botham qoute 'Old Farts') who silently run the game behind the scenes of the governing body, it would be a boring world if we were all the same wouldn't it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Like really:

"I said to Matty Peet that Wigan deserved to win the League Leader's Shield... I think you saw tonight that actually the best team in the comp was us."

Yes because losing against Wigan 3 times, and in two of those games getting absolutely battered, and finishing 5th shows that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Derek does what Derek does , an opportunity to get to a GF probably gone , hopefully just the emotion of the night getting the better of him 

I think some of his comments have been misinterpreted by some of the posters.

When he says he wants games decided by players and coaches, he's not talking about playing games without referees. He just wants objective, unequivocal, faultless, refereeing.

He's complaining about a subjective refereeing decision (which he thinks was in error) costing his club (players and staff) the game, which is heartbreaking.

The video referee was supposed to reduce the number of erroneous decisions but the system is not infallible.

In this case someone's ''opinion'' has cost Leigh the game. That's very regrettable and probably highly unlikely but in this case the worst case scenario has reared it's ugly head and he's upset. For what it's worth, I think the referee was wrong, it looked like a perfectly good try to me. 

He's also upset about the broadcasters rudeness regarding his coach and I don't blame him for that. That kind of treatment smacks of contempt for the coach, the club and the game. 

Edited by fighting irish
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, StandOffHalf said:

I didn't see the game on Friday.

Was the Gildart NO TRY a shocker?

It was yes.

But he could take a look at how someone like Trent Robinson speaks after an absolute shocker of a decision goes against him.

And if he can't speak like that, do the next best thing and don't say anything at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

I didn't see the game on Friday.

Was the Gildart NO TRY a shocker?

You might want to read through the match thread for the game. There is lots and lots of discussion of it there.

I hope this thread stays on subject and doesn't turn into a second version of that discussion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I think some of his comments have been misinterpreted by some of the posters.

When he says he wants games decided by players and coaches, he's not talking about playing games without referees. He just wants objective, unequivocal refereeing.

He's complaining about a subjective refereeing decision (which he thinks was in error) costing his club (players and staff) the game, which is heartbreaking.

The video referee was supposed to reduce the number of erroneous decisions but the system is not infallible.

In this case someone's ''opinion'' has cost Leigh the game. That's very regrettable and probably highly unlikely but in this case the worst case scenario has reared it's ugly head and he's upset. For what it's worth, I think the referee was wrong, it looked like a perfectly good try to me. 

He's also upset about the broadcasters rudeness regarding his coach and I don't blame him for that. That kind of treatment smacks of contempt for the coach, the club and the game. 

It's Derek Beaumont that we are talking about here Irish, many on these pages see that name and immediately draw their swords to slash and drive it in regardless.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Barley Mow said:

I hope this thread stays on subject and doesn't turn into a second version of that discussion.

There's not a lot to speak about on the subject.

Most people will say that Beaumont is great for the sport but just acts really petty and child like at times while Leigh fans will stick up for him.

• Like 2

Presume he was OK with WIgan's disallowed try?

Never liked him and I never will

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It was yes.

But he could take a look at how someone like Trent Robinson speaks after an absolute shocker of a decision goes against him.

And if he can't speak like that, do the next best thing and don't say anything at all.

He will never be like that Dunny, he is like we all are an individual not a robot, are you the same as all your collegues, contemporaries and friends?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

He will never be like that Dunny, he is like we all are an individual not a robot, are you the same as all your collegues, contemporaries and friends?

No, I am not like all my collegues, contemporaries and friends.  Some of them are much more professional than me and wonderful public speakers and leaders and some are child like and unprofessional like Beaument.

• Like 1