Dave Woods

6 hours ago, JohnM said:

Indeed. What on earth are they playing at?  They've had over a year to rescue the game from itself. 

From what linked report says, they're trying to turbocharge the game's meagre resources.  That's an impossible task, there aren't enough resources for them to work with.

53 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

From what linked report says, they're trying to turbocharge the game's meagre resources.  That's an impossible task, there aren't enough resources for them to work with.

I was just responding in a sarcastic manner to those few who seemed to think IMG have failed.

Edited by JohnM

Lovely in depth article about James Roby on the BBC website, one of the best servents to the game ever.

Dave describes the man and his career so beautifully and lets the wider sporting community know all about James Roby and his amazing achievements 

Edited by iangidds
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 03/10/2023 at 07:26, JohnM said:

On 03/10/2023 at 09:00, Griff said:

A thread for the close season, happen.

On 03/10/2023 at 09:00, Griff said:

A thread for the close season, happen.

I suspect IMG are constrained more by vested club interests slowing decisions than by their own inadequacy - an example being how difficult it is proving to get clubs to dump the loop fixtures. IMG have a financial incentive to grow the sport, so my guess is that they will be pushing next year for some tangible progress - or resign through sheer frustration at the client. But they will know - it being blindingly obvious - that underselling of the big RL events is an issue.

• Like 1

On 02/10/2023 at 08:14, iangidds said:

Just wondering what Dave does ! There is no mention of the Aus Grand final on the BBC despite it been the games biggest game and spectacle of the season with some saying it was the best game ever!

Would the superbowl be treated like this ? Why do we not promote ourselves better ?

Superbowl is not an accurate comparison?   A better comparison would be the final of RU Super 12's which the BBC don't cover either.

In fact outside of football, (not including US sports as they don't have an international game) the only sport where you see other Leagues covered is Cricket and thats only due to the amount of SE Asians living in the UK who follow these Leagues.

Edited by crashmon

48 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Unusual to hear it in RL so assumed he must be from a non RL Lancashire place 

Wonder how he ended up in the game?

I think I recall him saying his Dad used to take him to Wigan. The two towns are surprisingly close. 

Bolton is not RL (I come from Bolton as well), but you have Swinton, Oldham, Leigh, Wigan, Salford, Rochdale all pretty close so you do see RL tops around (well you used to, not been back since 99, apart from the odd day trip)

Edited by crashmon

4 hours ago, M j M said:

I've always assumed he's a closet pie eater.

They pronounce their ooo's funny don't they?

We pronounce them fine - it's the rest of the country that don't!

To be fair as a Wiganer I'm partial to boring people about how a lot of our language is just old English rather than being "different", why we pronounce the name of the town "Wiggin", etc. - that said, I also don't get invited to many parties these days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 03/10/2023 at 03:26, JohnM said:

Reading this again, it's clear that IMG well and truly have their plate full working with RL and achieving the aims of their contract.  The game's administrators simply don't understand the magnitude of the task, they think expanding its audience will be straightforward. 

Notice that Rhodri Jones thinks that the game's TV audience is strong, whereas Sky described it as stagnant and reduced their offer to 17 million £ a year initially.  Add to that the low ratings for C4's coverage of the Wigan-Hull KR semi-final on the weekend and it's clear that just exposing the game to new audiences as Jones thinks won't be nearly enough to expand that stagnant audience.

As I've said before, the traditional clubs in those smallish, economically disadvantaged, unfashionable towns don't have what it will take to attract the new fans the game needs and now we have hard evidence of that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Reading this again, it's clear that IMG well and truly have their plate full working with RL and achieving the aims of their contract.  The game's administrators simply don't understand the magnitude of the task, they think expanding its audience will be straightforward. 

Notice that Rhodri Jones thinks that the game's TV audience is strong, whereas Sky described it as stagnant and reduced their offer to 17 million £ a year initially.  Add to that the low ratings for C4's coverage of the Wigan-Hull KR semi-final on the weekend and it's clear that just exposing the game to new audiences as Jones thinks won't be nearly enough to expand that stagnant audience.

As I've said before, the traditional clubs in those smallish, economically disadvantaged, unfashionable towns don't have what it will take to attract the new fans the game needs and now we have hard evidence of that.

What were the viewing figures for Wigan v Hull KR?

Were they particularly low? It was broadcast on Sky as well at the same time.

I don't think I've seen it mentioned anywhere.

Edited by Barley Mow

5 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

But do you have any thoughts on what Sean McGuire would say about this?

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Why does Dave Woods always say 

Hoooooooker 

(As in rhymes with moo)

What's that game called where they poke coloured balls into holes with a stick?

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Barley Mow said:

https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/384605-channel-4-records-lowest-viewing-figures-since-start-of-super-league-coverage-with-semi-final-clash-between-wigan-warriors-and-hull-kr/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barley Mow said:

What matters is what C4 want, if it's attracting the audience they were looking for when they picked up coverage, how many were watching TV at the same time and what else they were watching, because just saying "X number of people watched" means nothing without analysis.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I preferred the Sky coverage to be honest and watched that 

Hardly surprising the C4 figures down 

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco