Toulouse or London

Just now, Damien said:

Well yes and I honestly believe that if it wasn't for Covid they'd still be here despite all of the obstacles put in their way. It was also not the sports money they spent, it was their own money.

Catalans are a great example of expansion and a credit to the game but can’t put Toronto in same sentence tbh. Yes they had hoops which could of gone differently but from what limited evidence we do have we can’t say their a good example of expansion 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

On the OP, I see benefits in both, but if I'm honest, neither can do what they did last time, which is come in with a whimper and leave with little fanfare. 

We expected more of Toulouse and I suspect they have the more potential as a club, but I always want London to be a success, but this version doesn't look like they will ever be a strong SL club. 

So I'd have to say I hope Toulouse win this weekend. 

As much as I agree with your post - I can't wish for the following, as I am booking plane tickets in the next hour to Toulouse to go cheer London on 😂

• Like 1

Just now, Rovers13 said:

Catalans are a great example of expansion and a credit to the game but can’t put Toronto in same sentence tbh. Yes they had hoops which could of gone differently but from what limited evidence we do have we can’t say their a good example of expansion 

Are they a great example of expansion, or are they a fluke? You've called them both, and I am not sure if they can be characterised as both. 

If you are a fluke, you can't be a great example of something

Just now, Click said:

Are they a great example of expansion, or are they a fluke? You've called them both, and I am not sure if they can be characterised as both. 

If you are a fluke, you can't be a great example of something

They are both planting a team and hope it grows is a fluke. But they’re also a well run club who thrived from that situation that other expansion clubs haven’t from similar positions. 

As much as they’re a credit to our game and Catalans are a brilliant example of expansion. You can’t tell me this was planned Catalans thrived on their own and took advantage of the situation they got presented. You can’t tell me RFL planned for this to happen because they didn’t Catalans took off bigger than anyone expected. 

Over 25 years ago, I was at a school reunion in the company of Graham Price, who was on a committee trying to revive the fortunes of Pontypool RUFC. He stated that, at that time, Harlequins had over a hundred millionaires as members/fans, whereas there weren't a hundred millionaires in South Wales.

I can't believe the Broncos couldn't find some investors who fancy more bang for their bucks than investing in a soccer club or fiendishly expensive Rugby Union Club. There must be some nice hospitality provisions at the new Wimbledon stadium. London Irish and Wasps have gone bust so now's the time to pick up some disenfranchised businessmen.

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

7 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

They are both planting a team and hope it grows is a fluke. But they’re also a well run club who thrived from that situation that other expansion clubs haven’t from similar positions. 

I'm guessing that you aren't a great gardener then? There's things you can do to ensure that the bulbs you've planted end up growing and flowering. Similar with rugby clubs. You may be right in that it is a fluke but we should be looking at how we can help new clubs flourish. As a sport, we don't.

7 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

As much as they’re a credit to our game and Catalans are a brilliant example of expansion. You can’t tell me this was planned Catalans thrived on their own and took advantage of the situation they got presented. You can’t tell me RFL planned for this to happen because they didn’t Catalans took off bigger than anyone expected. 

They were a merger in a strong but relatively poor and divided RL area that were given exemption from relegation and promoted straight into the professional tier. They are literally the best example of "how to do it" we have in the sport yet we have never repeated it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

I'm guessing that you aren't a great gardener then? There's things you can do to ensure that the bulbs you've planted end up growing and flowering. Similar with rugby clubs. You may be right in that it is a fluke but we should be looking at how we can help new clubs flourish. As a sport, we don't.

I totally agree and clubs should be funded in the right way not to bring in over the hill NRL players etc. but we all know the RFL can’t run a bath lol so we also know the RFL didn’t help Catalans become the team they are today. 

4 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

I totally agree and clubs should be funded in the right way not to bring in over the hill NRL players etc. but we all know the RFL can’t run a bath lol so we also know the RFL didn’t help Catalans become the team they are today. 

It's not explicitly about "helping" Catalans - But not hindering them.

6 minutes ago, Click said:

I don't understand what that would even mean about concentrating on both international and national sport without talking about expansion v heartlands - Unless I have misread @Damien's original post.

I don't think you did. I dont see any of this as either/or situations. The game needs to grow outside the heartlands and its a travesty the way the sport has gone backwards nationally since the Richard Lewis era. If we are talking about the heartlands clubs should be doing much more in their own areas, if the heartlands is failing that certainly isn't because some mythical funds are being spent elsewhere and the faults lie much closer to home. These clubs already get the vast majority of RL funding and always have done.

Internationals are a given for me both as a means of promoting and expanding the game and also increasing revenue for the sport. They have no place in this debate, they are just a given and should be happening regardless of what happens, and that certainly doesn't need to be at the expense of any development domestically.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

All of your posts almost point to the IMG plan being the better plan. If you don't want new clubs to have to bring in over the hill NRL players in order to try and compete, then give new clubs in SL exemption from relegation for at least a year, to try and enable them to grow a team that isn't full of over the hill players.

How do you expect a new club to compete other than with journeymen Aussies?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Click said:

All of your posts almost point to the IMG plan being the better plan. If you don't want new clubs to have to bring in over the hill NRL players in order to try and compete, then give new clubs in SL exemption from relegation for at least a year, to try and enable them to grow a team that isn't full of over the hill players.

How do you expect a new club to compete other than with journeymen Aussies?

I’ve said for years keep P&R every 2 seasons. Give the promoted team a seasons grace. No relegation for one season. 

Just now, Rovers13 said:

Yea with a closed SL. How can you grow if no one will invest if you can’t go anywhere. 

By following the IMG plan and actually growing your club - Rather than buying a team for 1 season to get into SL. 

SL isn't closed,  no matter how many times people say it will be.

• Like 3

Just now, Click said:

By following the IMG plan and actually growing your club - Rather than buying a team for 1 season to get into SL. 

It is for clubs like mine and many others. That’s what I mean about fairness across the board. We could build the Taj Mahal to play in have the best academy in uk we won’t get in. I’m a realist mate 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Rovers13 said:

It is for clubs like mine and many others. That’s what I mean about fairness across the board. We could build the Taj Mahal to play in have the best academy in uk we won’t get in. I’m a realist mate 

If you did those things, then they wouldn't say no. That is just paranoia, but I am not going to get into an IMG thread, there are enough of those already.

12 minutes ago, Click said:

I get fed up of this making out we've been the only club to try to buy our way into SL, how on earth can you get there without buying players? Others have done it  most teams were already in SL so they've bought players to stay there. 

44 minutes ago, Click said:

As much as I agree with your post - I can't wish for the following, as I am booking plane tickets in the next hour to Toulouse to go cheer London on 😂

Hope you enjoy it Click, and I certainly won't be upset if London win! 

• Thanks 1

I wish London well in the final. Every time I've been to watch Wire in the capital I've had an absolutely brilliant time. London brings a whole different dimension to our sport and more credibility too. 

It's a shame we're not talking about Canada but this is good for now.  

No disrespect meant towards Toulouse, by the way, I hope they thrive and maybe we can have our cake and eat it with them in SL too....

Well done rugby league for always being the sport that innovates. We don't need to be a "massive" sport, we just need to be more expansive and that's what we've always done.