Mark Campbell's Open Letter

Maureen T-k

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmcusercontent.com

Dear All,

After what has been an incredible season, winning the Leader’s Shield and finishing top by twelve points, Sunday’s defeat and performance in the Championship Semi Final was a grave disappointment for us all. We are very grateful for the efforts of our Head Coach James Ford in leading us through the last few months of the season, our only regret is we wish we would have made the change earlier

Credit to the Broncos they had a desire and wanted it more.  We wish them every luck on Sunday as they travel to Toulouse. 

For a fourth consecutive year, we have seen our hard work and investment into a dream of playing in Super League disappear in the space of eighty minutes.  Myself and Steven Clough,  staff and players, we are absolutely devastated at Sunday’s loss and we know this feeling is shared amongst our loyal supporters. 

Nothing is permanent in professional sport, we must now dust ourselves down and get back on the horse.  Whilst our desire remains the same, we will now seek to review the means by which we get there.  We are working hard on building a squad that James Ford can take into the new campaign with energy and excitement. 

Sunday was the end of one era, many players who have been part of that era will now be moving on and we wish them the very best of luck.  Whether that be in retirement or elsewhere in the game.

With the end of one era comes the start of another.  At this club, we will always retain the ambition to play at the highest level and will now work on our strategy to do so in a way that is more sustainable and not reliant on being propped up by the support of the Mark and Steven Clough.

As the dust settles over the coming days, we can look forward to announcing new additions to our playing squad, unveiling our 2024 playing kit as well as much more.  I am sure that come the start of the 2024 season, you will join us in once again taking our places in the stands and terraces to cheer on our Featherstone Rovers.

Up The Rovers,

Mark Campbell. 

Chairman

Im Fev and im proud

Dear All,

After what has been an incredible season, winning the Leader’s Shield and finishing top by twelve points, Sunday’s defeat and performance in the Championship Semi Final was a grave disappointment for us all. We are very grateful for the efforts of our Head Coach James Ford in leading us through the last few months of the season, our only regret is we wish we would have made the change earlier

Credit to the Broncos they had a desire and wanted it more.  We wish them every luck on Sunday as they travel to Toulouse. 

For a fourth consecutive year, we have seen our hard work and investment into a dream of playing in Super League disappear in the space of eighty minutes.  Myself and Steven Clough,  staff and players, we are absolutely devastated at Sunday’s loss and we know this feeling is shared amongst our loyal supporters. 

Nothing is permanent in professional sport, we must now dust ourselves down and get back on the horse.  Whilst our desire remains the same, we will now seek to review the means by which we get there.  We are working hard on building a squad that James Ford can take into the new campaign with energy and excitement. 

Sunday was the end of one era, many players who have been part of that era will now be moving on and we wish them the very best of luck.  Whether that be in retirement or elsewhere in the game.

With the end of one era comes the start of another.  At this club, we will always retain the ambition to play at the highest level and will now work on our strategy to do so in a way that is more sustainable and not reliant on being propped up by the support of the Mark and Steven Clough.

As the dust settles over the coming days, we can look forward to announcing new additions to our playing squad, unveiling our 2024 playing kit as well as much more.  I am sure that come the start of the 2024 season, you will join us in once again taking our places in the stands and terraces to cheer on our Featherstone Rovers.

Up The Rovers,

Mark Campbell. 

Chairman

I think supporters have been waiting to hear Marks reaction to our defeat on Sunday.Although i suggested he should take a step away from Rovers i am pleased he is ready for the fight to rebuild and go again.Attendances should stand up pretty well next season because many have taken advantage of the early bird prices.Only thing i disagree with in Marks statement is sticking with James Ford.He had most of the players in full time after his appointment and couldn't fix our poor defence on the edges.Our kicking game remained poor,how many 40/20's did we do?Picking Aekins constantly at stand off when every supporter knows he hasn't got the skills for that job.I have my season ticket for next season and will also go to a few away games.I am fearful for the Championship under the IMG plan and even finishing top would not have the same excitement without promotion.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I think supporters have been waiting to hear Marks reaction to our defeat on Sunday.Although i suggested he should take a step away from Rovers i am pleased he is ready for the fight to rebuild and go again.Attendances should stand up pretty well next season because many have taken advantage of the early bird prices.Only thing i disagree with in Marks statement is sticking with James Ford.He had most of the players in full time after his appointment and couldn't fix our poor defence on the edges.Our kicking game remained poor,how many 40/20's did we do?Picking Aekins constantly at stand off when every supporter knows he hasn't got the skills for that job.I have my season ticket for next season and will also go to a few away games.I am fearful for the Championship under the IMG plan and even finishing top would not have the same excitement without promotion.

To be fair to Ford he had to deal with a hand already dealt, I’m happy to give him a chance with a team/squad that he is involved in recruiting.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

To be fair to Ford he had to deal with a hand already dealt, I’m happy to give him a chance with a team/squad that he is involved in recruiting.

We had the best squad of players in the division by a country mile and he didn't get the best out of them when it mattered.Mark likes him though and he is the boss so i will have to hope Ford proves me wrong.

• Like 1

I just wonder if there is influence from above to play certain players, shoehorning Aekins into a role he is clearly not a natural at, would point to this, also playing a rusty Ford and bringing Briscoe back when I thought Hally has played well and given us a bit of creativity in attack.  Having said that I think Fordy should be given a chance with his own signings. UTR

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Normy_Rover said:

I just wonder if there is influence from above to play certain players, shoehorning Aekins into a role he is clearly not a natural at, would point to this, also playing a rusty Ford and bringing Briscoe back when I thought Hally has played well and given us a bit of creativity in attack.  Having said that I think Fordy should be given a chance with his own signings. UTR

Ford and the coaching staff should decide recruitment and team selection. But realistically I don’t know if that will happen.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

We had the best squad of players in the division by a country mile and he didn't get the best out of them when it mattered.Mark likes him though and he is the boss so i will have to hope Ford proves me wrong.

I said as soon as James Ford was appointed it was down to money and he will be here next season- and i was right,it was obvious, by sounds of reading that Mark and Steve won't be putting much money in for 2024.

10 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

He was wasn't he? I was under the impression he was acting head coach until the end of the season. Still, you can fail upwards if you're the chairman's mate.

He was acting Head Coach until the end of the season. I suspect his substantive role as Director of Rugby has now disappeared however, leaving a choice of permanent coach or paid off.

Wasn't Longy also one of Mark's mates? I'm sure that was mentioned when he joined us.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

31 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

He was acting Head Coach until the end of the season. I suspect his substantive role as Director of Rugby has now disappeared however, leaving a choice of permanent coach or paid off.

Wasn't Longy also one of Mark's mates? I'm sure that was mentioned when he joined us.

For me, and I might be wrong, it looks like it isn’t the coach who recruits the players. 

• Like 2

Got told yesterday that player wage bill was £100,000 per month and that previous coach was turning up worse for wear for the 5pm training sessions. As most will know club ran with an hybrid system. Some players full time some part time. Joint sessions took place at 5pm. Coach worse for wear. Some senior players rightfully complained coach requested by club to make a quiet exit. Coach was renting property within Featherstone district. Wakefield stepped in with swap hence Ford arrived. All in all = Internal turmoil. No doubt I will be classed as a troll etc but some people know the truth. Conclusion for me is if you don’t get the internal affairs right then consequences may occur. Fail to prepare prepare to fail.

• Like 6

No point in spending tons of cash on players because even if we actually manage to win the Grand Final we would still have to play a million pound game against 12th SL, except it will be on falsified criteria and decided in the board room not on the field. That's a system wide open to abuse and isn't much of a sport. Furthermore if there are 6 cat A clubs in SL if half the table happened to end bottom its pot luck wethervyoy get a crack at the boardroom MPG. 

4 hours ago, gazza77 said:

Looking at that statement he's isn't any more.

1 hour ago, Smudger06 said:

No point in spending tons of cash on players because even if we actually manage to win the Grand Final we would still have to play a million pound game against 12th SL 

I don't think this is how it works? I don't think there's any on field way in. If you're deemed superior to an existing Super League club you just replace them. 4th in the Championship could replace 9th in Super League. Again that's just my understanding of it, I could be wrong.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Smudger06 said:

No point in spending tons of cash on players because even if we actually manage to win the Grand Final we would still have to play a million pound game against 12th SL, except it will be on falsified criteria and decided in the board room not on the field. That's a system wide open to abuse and isn't much of a sport. Furthermore if there are 6 cat A clubs in SL if half the table happened to end bottom its pot luck wethervyoy get a crack at the boardroom MPG. 

You don't understand the IMG system do you?

2 hours ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Got told yesterday that player wage bill was £100,000 per month and that previous coach was turning up worse for wear for the 5pm training sessions. As most will know club ran with an hybrid system. Some players full time some part time. Joint sessions took place at 5pm. Coach worse for wear. Some senior players rightfully complained coach requested by club to make a quiet exit. Coach was renting property within Featherstone district. Wakefield stepped in with swap hence Ford arrived. All in all = Internal turmoil. No doubt I will be classed as a troll etc but some people know the truth. Conclusion for me is if you don’t get the internal affairs right then consequences may occur. Fail to prepare prepare to fail.

No if thats what you've heard it's not trolling in my book.  I'm open to any explanation.  I just don't go along with the explanation that our players weren't good enough or bottled it.  I've said in previous posts that we need to get to the bottom of why we are losing these games.  I have some issues with team selection and tactics but even allowing for this - flipping London hammered us for pity's sake.  Maybe Brad Day was visited by Aliens before kick-off.   Like I say there must be something we don't know about.

As for Longy he always seemed like a decent bloke and seemed well liked by the players but who knows ?  He was so unimpressive during post match interviews and just repeated the same things.  I worried when I saw him slumped in his seat drinking Red-Bull during the televised Fax away game.  He was sacked next day - say no more.  Anyway where did he end up ?

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

You don't understand the IMG system do you?

If you get an A grade, even if you came 9th in L1....you go up the following season and stay up......a grades cannot get relegated from SL even if they are dead last. 

If you are a C grade you can never go up to SL. 

If you are a B grade in SL and you are in 12th place at seasons end you are at risk........only IF the Club winning the Championship Grand Final is also a B grade....but then it goes to grading (who has the highest points on the spreadsheets, that's what I'm calling the off field million pound game) 

Or is it,,,...if there is 12 b grades and 6 are SL and 6 are Champ.....all 6 could just suddenly swap leagues based on the points within the B grades....🤦🤷‍♂️ that seems a bit 2 crackers even for RFL. 

8 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

If you get an A grade, even if you came 9th in L1....you go up the following season and stay up......a grades cannot get relegated from SL even if they are dead last. 

If you are a C grade you can never go up to SL. 

If you are a B grade in SL and you are in 12th place at seasons end you are at risk........only IF the Club winning the Championship Grand Final is also a B grade....but then it goes to grading (who has the highest points on the spreadsheets, that's what I'm calling the off field million pound game) 

Or is it,,,...if there is 12 b grades and 6 are SL and 6 are Champ.....all 6 could just suddenly swap leagues based on the points within the B grades....🤦🤷‍♂️ that seems a bit 2 crackers even for RFL. 

As I said you don't seem to understand how it will work. To take just one of your beliefs: there is absolutely no requirement to win the Championship GF to be 'promoted' to SL nor to finish bottom of SL to be 'relegated'. In fact (although unlikely) a club could finish bottom of L1 and be in SL the following season or win the SL GF and be 'relegated'....

And yes, although again unlikely, you could have 6 teams 'promoted' and 6 'relegated' in a single season.

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep

2 hours ago, Total Rugby League said:

FEATHERSTONE ROVERS chairman Mark Campbell has issued an statement following the West Yorkshire club’s failure to reach the Championship Grand Final. Rovers have been the...

View the full article

Good work posting a link to the statement which is reproduced in its entirety twice in this very thread 🙄

• Haha 5

57 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Good work posting a link to the statement which is reproduced in its entirety twice in this very thread 🙄

TRL HQ seem to be starting threads on our club forum if Fev are mentioned. Perhaps this is automatically generated if the word Featherstone appears in the article.

Another one has just popped up plugging their podcast.

Fair play I guess, as it's their site and they pay for it.

I've now merged three different threads about MC's letter into one thread.