Newcastle Thunder

Some real rose coloured glasses going on here with peoples memory of the game gone by. It wasn't this endless utopian display of amazing skills. It was often a dour forward battle for the majority of the game, with reset scrum after scrum, poor ball handling, thuggery etc.

I watched the fabled 1980 hull Derby cup final last week, it was terrible to watch skill wise, so much dropped ball, awful scrums etc.

When they play was good it was really good, but it was enormously in the minority.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

Some real rose coloured glasses going on here with peoples memory of the game gone by. It wasn't this endless utopian display of amazing skills. It was often a dour forward battle for the majority of the game, with reset scrum after scrum, poor ball handling, thuggery etc.

I watched the fabled 1980 hull Derby cup final last week, it was terrible to watch skill wise, so much dropped ball, awful scrums etc.

When they play was good it was really good, but it was enormously in the minority.

Just depends what you prefer but it’s like watching robots now to me. 

1 hour ago, Rovers13 said:

The product on the pitch gets me through the gates, not flashing lights and shiny toilets if I wanted that I wouldn’t watch rugby id go clubbing or buy myself a new toilet lol. 

Yeah but let's face it 99% of supporters would rather have shiny and not smelly toilets then not. The facilities are part of the match day experience so they need to be up to standard.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, dkw said:

I think I have a pair of rose coloured glasses - miss the contested scrums and a bit of Biff - but handling was a bit poorer but that's because of the rain and muddy conditions.

Summer [if you can call it that only lasted till end of June this year] is far better for viewing the game

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rovers13 said:

You maybe right but if a team are in a position to spend it they should, not just Bob along mid table or float With relegation every season like wakey.

Many aren't. What do you propose they should do? (Excluding a magic money tree.)

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

It’s my opinion I preferred the rugby before SL. I had the chance to watch some cracking players. Not one today I will remember. 

You were 30+ years younger - that makes a massive difference in perspective.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

11 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

I think I have a pair of rose coloured glasses - miss the contested scrums and a bit of Biff - but handling was a bit poorer but that's because of the rain and muddy conditions.

Summer [if you can call it that only lasted till end of June this year] is far better for viewing the game

Go back and look at games in the 4 or 5 seasons prior to them becoming uncontested, there's a very good reason for it, they were god awful messes, the ball barely got in the tunnel for most of them, or it was reset after reset then penalty.

Probably so as NRL is far superior but it’s an Australian major sport so we will never be able to compete with it, we need to sell what we have and for me that’s the product we need to make it better somehow, not a new stadium or a new toilet. 

I have been to some of their stadiums - they have nice toilets too.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Yeah but let's face it 99% of supporters would rather have shiny and not smelly toilets then not. The facilities are part of the match day experience so they need to be up to standard.

Like I said last franchising if we go down this route again I’m done with the sport. I don’t care where I pee, as long as rugby is great to watch, I will go to cinema if I cared about the toilets. 

2 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

It does because it wasn’t specifically built for RL they just let you rent it. If they kicked you out where would you be then? 

Why would they kick me out i don’t live there, you said it was a shiny new stadium, I was pointing out its 25 years old, who owns it (its not the football club) is irrelevant to my point

Edited by Chrispmartha

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

Why would they kick me out, you said it was a shiny new stadium, I was pointing out its 25 years old, who owns it (its not the football club) is irrelevant to my point

Fair enough, but it is a new build compared to most RL grounds was my point. 

19 minutes ago, dkw said:

Go back and look at games in the 4 or 5 seasons prior to them becoming uncontested, there's a very good reason for it, they were god awful messes, the ball barely got in the tunnel for most of them, or it was reset after reset then penalty.

Bit like a game of RU

16 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

Like I said last franchising if we go down this route again I’m done with the sport. I don’t care where I pee, as long as rugby is great to watch, I will go to cinema if I cared about the toilets. 

That's your choice and i respect that but there's no reason we can't have a competitive team AND nice toilets. I agree they are in all honesty a set of friendlies but it's OUR club and after 52 years supporting them i ain't giving up yet,it's in the blood.

• Like 1