All Super League Matches Live - Confirmed

LeeF

Two practical thoughts - firstly we know being televised has an impact on crowds so no extra money could have a compounding effect.

Secondly what rights have Sky been given to rearrange fixtures? Do they still have just the two like before or could we potentially see an entire round of games switched around at two weeks notice as they work out how to fill six different time slots. Or will they just broadcast the other four when the clubs decide to play them?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, M j M said:

Two practical thoughts - firstly we know being televised has an impact on crowds so no extra money could have a compounding effect.

Secondly what rights have Sky been given to rearrange fixtures? Do they still have just the two like before or could we potentially see an entire round of games switched around at two weeks notice as they work out how to fill six different time slots. Or will they just broadcast the other four when the clubs decide to play them?

This is just a guess but sky won’t compete with their football fixtures, so I could see games now being televised on days like Monday Tuesday Wednesday etc. 

I don't see how anyone can spin this as a good deal for RL. If people don't now realise the corner the game has backed itself into over the past decade they never will.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

This is an awful deal no matter how they spin it. We have just devalued the worth of a televised fixture by around 60%. 

Then there is the inevitable loss of direct fan income to clubs on top. I’m sure this will impact negatively on season ticket sales - why commit when you know you can watch all of your clubs games anyway. Same as why bother travelling to away games anymore. It’ll be interesting to see how Sky schedule the games, but I wouldn’t bet against some SL games being used as filler on a Tuesday night for example.

Edited by Derwent
  • Like 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

I don't believe this changes much for the average non RL Sky consumer.

The fact that avenues are still open to explore terrestrial coverage says to me that Sky will be showing their usual two matches per round on the sports channels, and others on the Sky sports app, or YouTube.

So if there's three Friday night games for instance,  one televised as usual and the other two on other platforms. So increased choice which is cool. Hopefully Baz Tel and Bill Arthur can he persuaded that to work on the extra games is an honour and they can be packed off out of the way, and Mark Wilson can be the main commentator.

1 minute ago, Derwent said:

This is an awful deal no matter how they spin it. We have just devalued the worth of a televised fixture by around 60%. 

Then there is the inevitable loss of direct fan income to clubs on top. I’m sure this will impact negatively on season ticket sales - why commit when you know you can watch all of your clubs games anyway. Same as why bother travelling to away games anymore. It’ll be interesting to see how Sky schedule the games, but I wouldn’t bet against some SL games being used as filler on a Tuesday night for example.

I bet it doesn’t affect season ticket sales one bit.

for a start not everyone has sky and its not free.

For me just depends how you look at it in long run not just in the now tbh, let’s say it takes off sky get more viewers for our sport it puts IMG in a commanding position for the next tv deal. I agree it’s a gamble and probably not a good deal at the moment but we have to try everything and this for me is at Least a step towards that. 

33 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I agree. 

But, it'll be interesting to watch. Maybe getting Fred to invest a further 25% was linked to this deal, and maybe RLCom will work their magic and increase the portfolio of sponsors again. 

I would say, ignoring the £value, this level of coverage does rather get rid of many excuses. We now have the exposure. 

While an increase is welcome this kind of illustrates the point. Half of that 25% rise is gobbled up by inflation so its hardly cashing in for the title sponsorship for all this extra exposure. It probably translates to less than 20k per club extra.

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I bet it doesn’t affect season ticket sales one bit.

for a start not everyone has sky and its not free.

We will see. TV games suppress crowds anyway, no rational reason to think more TV games won’t do that.

• Haha 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

23 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

This is just a guess but sky won’t compete with their football fixtures, so I could see games now being televised on days like Monday Tuesday Wednesday etc. 

Monday  Tuesday and Wednesday are football nights for Sky, even on European nights which they don't show, Sky show EFL , complete Championship round of matches on the red button , so can't see RL being on any days other than the current days. June and July excepted of course.

Edited by HawkMan

Just now, HawkMan said:

Monday  Tuesday and Wednesday are football nights for Sky, even on European nights which they don't show, Sky show EFL , complete Championship round of matches on the red button , so can't see RL being on any days other than the current days.

Super Sunday and champs league I was referring to tbh, I can’t see them competing with those days. 

12 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

I said it was a guess but why not? We need to try everything we can, and for me as much as RL fans would hate games televised on those days the non RL fans might be enticed as theirs nothing else on to watch.  

Pretty bad guess imo. There will not be regular games on Tuesday or Wednesdays. Monday is a possibility, it’s been done before but plays havoc with Friday night games.  Some slots over Friday-Sunday much more likely

RL Commercial retain the ability to attract new viewers with the continuation of free-to-air broadcast opportunities, as well as through a dedicated Super League-owned streaming platform - with further details to be confirmed through the autumn.

Looking forward to these details for all fans outside the UK & Ireland.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Any reason why they couldn't do a 5.30pm and 8pm slot on a Friday? 

Does this mean C4 are now dead in the water, or is there the chance games will be broadcast simultaneously on 2 channels?

I imagine simulcast like they did for playoff games?

6 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Does this mean C4 are now dead in the water, or is there the chance games will be broadcast simultaneously on 2 channels?

People are jumping the gun here,

As part of the deal, Sky Sports will show all six matches in each Super League round live, totalling around 170 games each year across Sky Sports channels and platforms. This will include Magic Weekend fixtures, Playoffs and all three Grand Finals - Men's, Women's and Wheelchair.

"It's been an exceptional season and we are excited that from next season every try, tackle and pass from every fixture will be shown live across Sky platforms - a first for the sport.

Edited by HawkMan

5 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Surely a wind up??

How may people are you expecting to be able to get to a 5:30 pm ko on a Friday tea time?? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

Surely a wind up??

How may people are you expecting to be able to get to a 5:30 pm ko on a Friday tea time?? 

Sure there was a time when there were 6pm kick offs for the lower leagues on Thursdays or Fridays. May be my dodgy memory though 

• Confused 1