All Super League Matches Live - Confirmed

LeeF

18 minutes ago, Spidey said:

For what it’s worth this would be my schedule.  Keep Middle of Saturdays & Sundays free for Community & Semi Pro games

Thu 20:00 Fri 20:00

Sat 13:00 Sat 17:00

Sun 13:00 Sun 17:00

Not a single Super League game at 3pm on a Sunday. Genius.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

While an increase is welcome this kind of illustrates the point. Half of that 25% rise is gobbled up by inflation so its hardly cashing in for the title sponsorship for all this extra exposure. It probably translates to less than 20k per club extra.

Aye, fair points, I suppose I'm guilty of seeing any increase as positive against a backdrop of the alternative. 

25 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Any reason why they couldn't do a 5.30pm and 8pm slot on a Friday? 

Does this mean C4 are now dead in the water, or is there the chance games will be broadcast simultaneously on 2 channels?

The press release does say the deal allows for terrestrial coverage, so I assume we have a certain number we are allowed to show. Details to be announced later in the year. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, M j M said:

Two practical thoughts - firstly we know being televised has an impact on crowds so no extra money could have a compounding effect.

Secondly what rights have Sky been given to rearrange fixtures? Do they still have just the two like before or could we potentially see an entire round of games switched around at two weeks notice as they work out how to fill six different time slots. Or will they just broadcast the other four when the clubs decide to play them?

This is interesting. Will we have scheduled games now in place longer term with Sky just showing them as they see fit, or will we still see rearranged schedules for Thursday and Friday premium slots? 

There is still a risk of us playing 4 games at 8pm on Friday, with 1 on Sky and the others on their website. 

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

We will see. TV games suppress crowds anyway, no rational reason to think more TV games won’t do that.

I'm not sure how true that is tbh. I think there is an impact of Thursday versus Sunday affecting crowds, so technically that is because it's on TV, but I don't think there is a huge difference between Friday 8pm televised v non-televised. The way the game is kow, some clubs have the majority of their fixtures televised now anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This is interesting. Will we have scheduled games now in place longer term with Sky just showing them as they see fit, or will we still see rearranged schedules for Thursday and Friday premium slots? 

There is still a risk of us playing 4 games at 8pm on Friday, with 1 on Sky and the others on their website. 

That would be an own goal. If they aren’t stand alone games like the NRL it’s pointless for me

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Aye, fair points, I suppose I'm guilty of seeing any increase as positive against a backdrop of the alternative. 

Not knocking that mate, that's a sad reflection of where we are at. I just think the TV deal is far and away the biggest funding source and if clubs are looking at a £700k funding reduction over the last few years then something pretty special has to happen for this extra exposure to work.

• Like 1

With Sky having ceded a large part of their pitchside advertising, this means sponsors will be guaranteed more visibility for their money. Clubs with good connections and canny marketing departments could benefit quite a bit if they can sell every home fixture in the season as a TV game.

I'll be interested to see what the televised coverage is like (and where/when it is shown, too). 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Rovers13 said:

I said it was a guess but why not? We need to try everything we can, and for me as much as RL fans would hate games televised on those days the non RL fans might be enticed as theirs nothing else on to watch.  

Why not?  Well, it goes against everything the RFL have been preaching about player welfare.  At some point, there's bound to be too few days between somebody's games.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

8 minutes ago, Griff said:

Why not?  Well, it goes against everything the RFL have been preaching about player welfare.  At some point, there's bound to be too few days between somebody's games.

I agree with that but why can’t a club play on a Monday say and the following Sunday or Saturday? 

We still lack the full details so its difficult to know what it means, but if Sky schedule all the games to their benefit that will have big effect on clubs ability to attract fans and corporate sales.

The "platforms" is also interesting, are they going to be on TV, online, PPV, as part of a sky package, FTA?

5 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

I agree with that but why can’t a club play on a Monday say and the following Sunday or Saturday? 

Monday-Sunday is fine.  But if it comes to Tuesday or Wednesday, you'll have a problem in fitting the fixtures in.  

Then there's the disciplinary.  Rules will need to be changed.  What week does the Monday game belong to?

2 minutes ago, Griff said:

Monday-Sunday is fine.  But if it comes to Tuesday or Wednesday, you'll have a problem in fitting the fixtures in.  

Then there's the disciplinary.  Rules will need to be changed.  What week does the Monday game belong to?

Yeah forgot about disciplinary day tbh. 

3 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Sky might raise prices for customers. They have 3 times the games and must be thinking about it. They are better at business than the RFL.

Not sure RL games are the big driver of Sky pricing.

I'm fed up of paying to support soccer.

• Like 2

Broadcast all games does not mean all games will be on Sky sports TV channels. Sky sports have multiple you tube channels, and also have the ability to show games behind the red button.

They could broadcast three games at the same time, one on Sky Sports action and the other two behind the red button on sky sports action for instance

Edited by crashmon

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

For reasons given. It’s hardly a popular time now for SL given how many games get played on Friday nights

Playing nearly everything at 7.30 or 8pm is fine as long as you want hundreds of young families to stay away because the games are finishing too late.