All Super League Matches Live - Confirmed

LeeF

4 minutes ago, N2022 said:

Playing nearly everything at 7.30 or 8pm is fine as long as you want hundreds of young families to stay away because the games are finishing too late.

Huh? I’m suggesting only Thu & Fri games are at that time and they have been in place for years. In fact what I outlined means more guaranteed weekend games 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

The press release does say the deal allows for terrestrial coverage, so I assume we have a certain number we are allowed to show. Details to be announced later in the year. 

Yeah, this is surely an important point. It’s hard to be critical when all the information isn't available. There is now enough content including NRL to have a dedicated RL channel on Sky. That the statement didn’t mention any such thing probably leads us to be pessimistic of any such opportunity.

Looking at this positively, all SL games will now be produced to broadcast standard. This give the RFL more live content to sell to terrestrial broadcasters.

- Vital for all games to have their own exclusive timeslot over the weekend.

- Nice to have will be guaranteed two fixtures each weekend live on terrestrial for the full season.

I would be reasonably happy with the new tv deal if those two points became a reality. A dedicated RL channel on Sky would be a delight.

• Like 1

So if all the games are to be televised. What encouragement will people get to attend those games. Why pay to get in, then spend money on any food and drink, or if the weather's poor don't bother to go, as you can watch all the games you want without leaving home.

I simply don't believe that Sky said " we'd like three times the number of games on our channels, and here's less money."

And SL replied with, " okay pal help yourself."

This is like the EFL deal with Sky, where Sky take over the streaming of non channel shown games, and maybe show a few more games on their sports channels. I expect the same here,  possibly 3 games on Sky 408 or whatever, a week , the rest on the App. Difference is EFL got a raise from Sky and SL get a 14% reduction ( 25m to21.5m).

53 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Huh? I’m suggesting only Thu & Fri games are at that time and they have been in place for years. In fact what I outlined means more guaranteed weekend games 

Maybe I've misread. Took it you were speaking up for popularity of Thu Fri pm over weekend games.

Not read through the thread from being at the Grand Final so apologies for the repetition.

I expect at best it’ll be one HD camera and red button as per the EFL midweek games.

At worst, one SD camera and shown on YouTube. Not a prayer they’re going to be done at broadcast standard and certainly not with enough angles for a video referee.

That said, I do consider it a huge improvement on the current scenario and will certainly justify continuing to pay for my Sky subscription instead of heading down the dodgy box route. I just hope that games are shown at the same time as each other rather than going down the staggered kick off route and the ensuing disruption to match-going fans. 

36 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Not read through the thread from being at the Grand Final so apologies for the repetition.

I expect at best it’ll be one HD camera and red button as per the EFL midweek games.

At worst, one SD camera and shown on YouTube. Not a prayer they’re going to be done at broadcast standard and certainly not with enough angles for a video referee.

That said, I do consider it a huge improvement on the current scenario and will certainly justify continuing to pay for my Sky subscription instead of heading down the dodgy box route. I just hope that games are shown at the same time as each other rather than going down the staggered kick off route and the ensuing disruption to match-going fans. 

Based on having VR at all games, it's unlikely to be one camera, but I agree it'll be a lesser level of coverage. 

1 hour ago, crashmon said:

Broadcast all games does not mean all games will be on Sky sports TV channels. Sky sports have multiple you tube channels, and also have the ability to show games behind the red button.

They could broadcast three games at the same time, one on Sky Sports action and the other two behind the red button on sky sports action for instance

The red button is no longer available outside the UK.

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

I simply don't believe that Sky said " we'd like three times the number of games on our channels, and here's less money."

And SL replied with, " okay pal help yourself."

This is like the EFL deal with Sky, where Sky take over the streaming of non channel shown games, and maybe show a few more games on their sports channels. I expect the same here,  possibly 3 games on Sky 408 or whatever, a week , the rest on the App. Difference is EFL got a raise from Sky and SL get a 14% reduction ( 25m to21.5m).

I wonder if Sky was ready to drop SL and giving them all the matches for less money was the only way to get them to carry on with it.

Edited by Big Picture

30 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Based on having VR at all games, it's unlikely to be one camera, but I agree it'll be a lesser level of coverage. 

Hadn’t read that bit (sometimes it takes effort to be back in your local within an hour of the hooter at OT, trains or no trains). Has to surely be a SERIOUS level of camera coverage to be reliable (and even now it feels like there aren’t enough angles sometimes)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I wonder if Sky was ready to drop SL and giving them all the matches for less money was the only way to get them to carry on with it.

That makes no sense at sll, if sky wanted to drop SL they wouldn’t be spending the money on filming all the games.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:
40 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

That makes no sense at sll, if sky wanted to drop SL they wouldn’t be spending the money on filming all the games.

But that doesn't fit with Big Picture's agenda.

• Haha 1

Haven't read all the posts but there seens a general theme of negativity. 

One thing we have to be mindful of is that businesses like IMG leverage brands and the most important factor with any brand is visibility and brand recognition. 

If we get more visibility - even for less broadcast money - then we have an opportunity as a sport to draw in more sponsors and fans and monetise these.

• Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Its a big deal that all games will now be filmed and produced to broadcast standards. The implication from one of the releases is that FTA (ie Channel 4) and streaming (OuRLeague) will have a role to play in the distribution of these matches too.

6 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

for a couple to get to an away game, with fuel and tickets ,probably parking you are looking around £70 . A family of 4 even more. Who's going to bother, especially on a cold rainy evening. The away supporter will be virtually extinct.

Ive seen plenty of packed away ends at games Sky have broadcast over the last 30 years. 

Why will that change next year?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

It was confimed weeks ago that all games next year will have a video ref.

6 hours ago, wasginger said:

So if all the games are to be televised. What encouragement will people get to attend those games. Why pay to get in, then spend money on any food and drink, or if the weather's poor don't bother to go, as you can watch all the games you want without leaving home.

I know a few people have expressed the same concern, but looping your comment as it’s the most recent.

The encouragement really should be about being live at the event and experiencing the company, atmosphere and any additional entertainment. I mean I can just sit and listen to Metallica on Spotify, or I can go and watch them live.

• Like 2

Just seen the thread and skimmed through the pages.

As usual the moaners appear to be on top form saying the deal devalues the game.  My response is that poor management at the RFL and parochialism of clubs have already achieved that.  The decrease in income from SKY and no other media company wanting to make a higher bid confirms this.

Should the RFL have said to SKY ‘Sod off to this proposal unless you give us an extra £10 million’.  What if SKY just walked away. What would be the reaction on here?

Financially the game is at rock bottom.  Therefore SKY have taken advantage by obtaining greater content at a rock bottom price.  But, surely the showing of all six games irrespective of formats with the possibility of C4 showing games is a massive step forward to improve the visibility of the game.  Especially if all games are spread over the weekend instead of having up to five games kicking off at 8pm on a Friday night.

Will it deter some supporters going to a game? Maybe.  Could the venture attract ‘new eyes’ to the game? Possibly.  Will greater exposure attract investment into the game? Potentially.  The bottom line is that no one knows the outcome.  But IMHO it provides a better foundation from which to grow than by having just two games per week on SKY.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pulga said:

Who has the source on the figure that was agreed upon?

Seems like a dud deal.

In the UK, we call it an Eddie Stobart deal.

• Haha 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

6 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I know a few people have expressed the same concern, but looping your comment as it’s the most recent.

The encouragement really should be about being live at the event and experiencing the company, atmosphere and any additional entertainment. I mean I can just sit and listen to Metallica on Spotify, or I can go and watch them live.

100% agree. Making our events worth getting off your ass for is very important now. 

And whilst I don't think it is going to be hugeky problematic, I do think those raising the point about reducing crowds or season ticket sales do have a point. 

At the moment, buying a season ticket guarantees you all your home games, whereas there will now be an alternative to that, which is a Sky membership. That has never ever been possible before. 

But, we have seen growth in comps where all games are televised, hence back to the first point. 

16 hours ago, Derwent said:

This is an awful deal no matter how they spin it. We have just devalued the worth of a televised fixture by around 60%. 

Then there is the inevitable loss of direct fan income to clubs on top. I’m sure this will impact negatively on season ticket sales - why commit when you know you can watch all of your clubs games anyway. Same as why bother travelling to away games anymore. It’ll be interesting to see how Sky schedule the games, but I wouldn’t bet against some SL games being used as filler on a Tuesday night for example.

This is exactly what I said when it was first mooted that every game would be screened, in so much as Season Tickets would be compromised and "away travel" much curtailed.

Many of those who write on these pages have stated with total exposure of all Super League games it will entice more and new fans through the turnstiles, I will go for the opposite and say it will reduce matchday revenue for the clubs.

We already know that Central Funding has already been reduced by more than £200K than first stated in April for next season, and considering SL clubs through direct funding alone are £800K light per season than they were just 6 years ago, are any further losses acceptable?

Hands up all those who believe gates will increase with saturation coverage?

• Like 2