Odsal - RFL Selling the lease

Sorry for the thread drift about Wakey.

Yes back to the lease, some of you may be aware of the poem of the ancient mariner. I think Odsal is the albatross of the Bulls and however hard and problematic, they must shake free from it's yoke to move on and prosper

Edited by Agbrigg
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, dkw said:

Is the land at Odsal even developable (that doesn't look like a real word)?

It's a huge tract of land, but is it viable to build stuff on?

During one of the insolvency episodes there was lots of talk that there is significant ground contamination when it was suggested that someone might buy the Club to primarily get their hands on the land to make money from its development. How true I've no idea.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

During one of the insolvency episodes there was lots of talk that there is significant ground contamination when it was suggested that someone might buy the Club to primarily get their hands on the land to make money from its development. How true I've no idea.

Just depends with what and to what level but it doesn’t mean it can’t be remediated.

17 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

11 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Just depends with what and to what level but it doesn’t mean it can’t be remediated.

It's always fixable, but a site that size would probably have significant costs against it to bring it back to being usable land. That could put anyone off who's thinking about using it to build on.

Unless land is scarce in Bradford I suppose.

I did wonder if it was telling that the advert didn't mention if the land was ready for redevelopment (I think) and highlighted using the stadium.

6 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

3 minutes ago, dkw said:

It's always fixable, but a site that size would probably have significant costs against it to bring it back to being usable land. That could put anyone off who's thinking about using it to build on.

Unless land is scarce in Bradford I suppose.

I did wonder if it was telling that the advert didn't mention if the land was ready for redevelopment (I think) and highlighted using the stadium.

A quick search suggests that contaminants are 'unknown' but probably (likely) toxic so remediation costs likely to be high (the nearby disused tip requires some £7m for remediation). There are also reports that geological concerns potentially rule out landfill for filling up the bowl.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

A quick search suggests that contaminants are 'unknown' but probably (likely) toxic so remediation costs likely to be high (the nearby disused tip requires some £7m for remediation). There are also reports that geological concerns potentially rule out landfill for filling up the bowl.

My statement still stands Les.  This element has been discussed a few times though.

Any geo survey worth its salt would have identified exactly what the ground comprises of.  No guesswork.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

My statement still stands Les.  This element has been discussed a few times though.

Any geo survey worth its salt would have identified exactly what the ground comprises of.  No guesswork.

Err no. A geological survey is completely different to a ground contamination survey

19 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Err no. A geological survey is completely different to a ground contamination survey

Yeah all a geo survey does is tell you the character of the soil, the stratas and minerals in it. 

A toxicological report will tell you if it's contaminated. 

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

That's funny, I thought it had been full of rubbish for the best part of a decade already.

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, dkw said:

Yeah all a geo survey does is tell you the character of the soil, the stratas and minerals in it. 

A toxicological report will tell you if it's contaminated. 

The geotech survey will tell you whatever you request.  Toxicology, angles of repose, soil types, archaeology etc etc.

The issue I have is that just saying the soil is contaminated is guesswork.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

The geotech survey will tell you whatever you request.  Toxicology, angles of repose, soil types, archaeology etc etc.

The issue I have is that just saying the soil is contaminated is guesswork.  

Ah right, geo survey has always just meant geological to me, just an interpretation of the wording really.

Wasn't Odsal built on old pit, if so then they're going to have to pile very deep to get to decent soil to build on if anyone wants to develop the land. I'm on a project now building in an old quarry and we had to go down about 14 metres, the costs were eye watering.

10 minutes ago, dkw said:

Ah right, geo survey has always just meant geological to me, just an interpretation of the wording really.

Wasn't Odsal built on old pit, if so then they're going to have to pile very deep to get to decent soil to build on if anyone wants to develop the land. I'm on a project now building in an old quarry and we had to go down about 14 metres, the costs were eye 

Cfa?

tbf to les, it’s semantics and just what you specify. The ‘training ground’ next to Odsal certainly was weird soil, stones, gravel and regularly caused infected cuts.  Obvs some time ago so it could’ve been improved since then.

5 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Cfa?

tbf to les, it’s semantics and just what you specify. The ‘training ground’ next to Odsal certainly was weird soil, stones, gravel and regularly caused infected cuts.  Obvs some time ago so it could’ve been improved since then.

Sorry, not sure what you mean by cfa mate.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, RigbyLuger said:

Makes a change from "iconic" at least.

And that's just because they couldn't spell "chronic".

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Interesting development if true...........

The Odsal Stadium lease is not expected to be transferred to new owners before the end of February, Love Rugby League has been told – and the stadium’s long-term future could be uncertain after it emerged the terms of the lease no longer guarantee rugby league has to be the venue’s primary use for any new owner.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/exclusive-more-details-on-odsal-lease-saga-revealed-including-key-change-to-agreement

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

The Odsal Stadium lease is not expected to be transferred to new owners before the end of February, Love Rugby League has been told – and the stadium’s long-term future could be uncertain after it emerged the terms of the lease no longer guarantee rugby league has to be the venue’s primary use for any new owner.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/exclusive-more-details-on-odsal-lease-saga-revealed-including-key-change-to-agreement

After visiting yesterday it doesn’t look appealing!

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

That should in theory mean a better price could be extracted on a sale. It’s obviously a big site with good motorway access. 

Perhaps the RFL need to consider re-investing any proceeds in another ground that Bradford could also lease from them.

I very much hope this is a process in which there is openess about who purchases and why. The last thing the game needs now is any suggestion that deals have been done for less than fair value with connected individuals. 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

55 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

After visiting yesterday it doesn’t look appealing!

Did you make a bid? Exactly how much did you have in your change bottle?

• Haha 1