Sat 21st Oct: International: New Zealand v Toa Samoa (at Eden Park, Auckland) 6am KO

Your predictions  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your margin

• Kiwis 13+
    • Kiwis 7 - 12
    • Kiwis 1 - 6
    • Draw
    • Toa Samoa 1 - 6
    • Toa Samoa 7 - 12
    • Toa Samoa 13+

Will have to find the highlights (if not full replay) of the NZ 'A' v Tonga 'A' game preceding this game. Much closer scoreline.  

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

Just now, Eddie said:

Really looking forward to the Australia NZ game now, kick off at a decent hour as well so no need to get up at 6 👌 

Yes that’s the one positive out of this game, makes you think NZ can compete next week.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

Really solid performance from NZ, CNK was fantastic at the back, Both Wingers superb with 2 tries, Manu had a great game with 4 offloads and 200 Metres, Matt Timoko was probably my MOTM he was absolutely superb on debut with 11 tacklebreaks. Both Brown and Hughes had Fantastic Games as well.

In the Fowards all of NZ’s Middle Fowards were incredible. Papali’i and Nikora were also outstanding, and so were Foran and Nu Brown.

A Very complete performance from New Zealand.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Yes that’s the one positive out of this game, makes you think NZ can compete next week.

I don’t think it was ever a question if NZ can compete. Both teams are superb and at pretty much the same level. Will be a 50/50 game.

5 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

I only caught the last half an hour. The short kick off tactic was killing any chance Samoa had of at least keeping the score respectable. They continually gifted NZ possession and position. Bring back Matt Parrish?

The opposite of Jamaica in the World Cup. It didn't work as a tactic for the Samoans.

7 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

Really solid performance from NZ, CNK was fantastic at the back, Both Wingers superb with 2 tries, Manu had a great game with 4 offloads and 200 Metres, Matt Timoko was probably my MOTM he was absolutely superb on debut with 11 tacklebreaks. Both Brown and Hughes had Fantastic Games as well.

In the Fowards all of NZ’s Middle Fowards were incredible. Papali’i and Nikora were also outstanding, and so were Foran and Nu Brown.

A Very complete performance from New Zealand.

Nice summary.

Agree about Timoko being Homme du Match. His evasiveness and metres were incredible. Shout-out to old man Foran dropping into dummy-half and having a super game. Him and Nu Brown were both clinical, with Jahrome Hughes adding the polish that the Samoans sadly lacked.

I enjoyed watching NZ today, albeit against a weakened Toa Samoa outfit.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Viking Ste said:

Score?? 😊

50-0

Amazing result really.

I watched the first 15 minutes and thought Samoa were a good chance in this game as they started really well and it was a mental thing with the Kangaroos and they looked much more confident today.

But New Zealand got on top and were really excellent, a top class performance. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, UTK said:

Unfortunately the terrible scheduling means next week is effectively a dead rubber in preparation for the final the week after, daresay both sides are understrength next week.

I imagine both sides will now see this as an Aus NZ 2 match test series now. Unless either side have a great desire to win the prestigious Pacific Cup.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UTK said:

Unfortunately the terrible scheduling means next week is effectively a dead rubber in preparation for the final the week after, daresay both sides are understrength next week.

Do you think so?  I would hope that both nations would take every opportunity to put one over on their rivals. 

It will be a test match between Australia and New Zealand, why do we always have to try and find reasons to say a game doesn't matter.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Do you think so?  I would hope that both nations would take every opportunity to put one over on their rivals. 

It will be a test match between Australia and New Zealand, why do we always have to try and find reasons to say a game doesn't matter.

I believe Mal has already said everyone who didn't get a run in the first match will get a game against NZ next week - so Flegler, Hynes, Trbojevic and Holmes are likely to come into the side. 

I absolutely would prefer if everyone was full-strength but ultimately from AUS/NZ's perspective the winner of the competition will be whoever wins in NZ next week, not whoever wins in Melbourne. We'd now be around 40 weeks into the RL season here if you consider trials to be when the season starts, 35 or so if not. A week off at this stage of the season probably makes a big difference in the final when you consider the intensity these next 2 games are likely to be played at.

Kiwis might be in a bit of a different position because their 18-21 squad members are very much developing players in Kini, Levi, Greig and Whyte. I wouldn't be surprised if the latter 2 make their debuts the Kiwis forward pack though.

Edited by UTK

12 minutes ago, UTK said:

I believe Mal has already said everyone who didn't get a run in the first match will get a game against NZ next week - so Flegler, Hynes, Trbojevic and Holmes are likely to come into the side. 

I absolutely would prefer if everyone was full-strength but ultimately from AUS/NZ's perspective the winner of the competition will be whoever wins in NZ next week, not whoever wins in Melbourne. We'd now be around 40 weeks into the RL season here if you consider trials to be when the season starts, 35 or so if not. A week off at this stage of the season probably makes a big difference in the final when you consider the intensity these next 2 games are likely to be played at.

Kiwis might be in a bit of a different position because their 18-21 squad members are very much developing players in Kini, Levi, Greig and Whyte. I wouldn't be surprised if the latter 2 make their debuts the Kiwis forward pack though.

Small side note but as far as I remember being in a squad doesn’t lock a player to a tier 1 team (which is ridiculous but it is what it is). If they make the 19 man game day squad they are locked in though. White was 18th man today and I missed who was 19th man but I think it was Greig pre cut off. So those 2 are locked in to the Kiwis, I’d imagine they’ll try and lock in Kini next week even if he doesn’t play.

Probably highly irrelevant in this case since Greig & Kini aren’t eligible for Origin so aren’t likely to be tempted over. Wouldn’t surprise me if this is a tactic they use in the future. I don’t blame them either, with the lure of Origin bigger than ever it might be time to fight fire with fire. 

• Like 1

Not a good start by the new coach but I'll give him a pass since he got the job a week before the tournament kicked off.

Shocking selection in the halves leaving a legit halfback on the bench and starting Asi who's not even a legit playmaker.

On a positive note most of this squad like Paulo said have just turned 21-22 years old. There's alot of potential in this team and you add in Luai and CHT in the halves next year and a few of the experienced boys back they'll be a very solid squad again.

Futures bright in the spine for the samoan team. Sua Faalogo again looked good at Flb. He wasn't fazed one bit by the Kiwis pressure under the high balls and he played well against the top 2 teams in the world 2 weeks in a row. Good luck to the Storm trying to keep him after next season! 

Gordon Kum Tong looks like he'll have a huge future in the nrl for Manly at hooker and he'll get better every year.

To finish it off the Kiwis looked awesome today and I hope they give it to the kangaroos and win the the whole thing

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

Small side note but as far as I remember being in a squad doesn’t lock a player to a tier 1 team (which is ridiculous but it is what it is). If they make the 19 man game day squad they are locked in though. White was 18th man today and I missed who was 19th man but I think it was Greig pre cut off. So those 2 are locked in to the Kiwis, I’d imagine they’ll try and lock in Kini next week even if he doesn’t play.

Probably highly irrelevant in this case since Greig & Kini aren’t eligible for Origin so aren’t likely to be tempted over. Wouldn’t surprise me if this is a tactic they use in the future. I don’t blame them either, with the lure of Origin bigger than ever it might be time to fight fire with fire. 

Does being in a 19 lock them in? Would assume they have to actually play? That should be the rule anyway in my eyes, you step foot on the pitch in the game then you are locked in.

1 hour ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Does being in a 19 lock them in? Would assume they have to actually play? That should be the rule anyway in my eyes, you step foot on the pitch in the game then you are locked in.

See section vii here

19 man game day squad and they’re locked in.

Kiwis could work that angle and approach up and comers for selection, especially ones who have other options (Origin). Could be done in a warm up test for example.

Sad if is has to come to that but the appeal of being able to play Origin and then still playing Internationals for Kangaroos and/or Tonga/Samoa/Fiji is only growing, take the Mulitalo saga as a prime example.

• Thanks 1

Glad to see Matt Timoko take his first international opportunity with such aplomb.

He's still improving as a player but has been catching the eye for his post-tackle yardage right from the start.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, jim_57 said:

See section vii here

19 man game day squad and they’re locked in.

Kiwis could work that angle and approach up and comers for selection, especially ones who have other options (Origin). Could be done in a warm up test for example.

Sad if is has to come to that but the appeal of being able to play Origin and then still playing Internationals for Kangaroos and/or Tonga/Samoa/Fiji is only growing, take the Mulitalo saga as a prime example.

Thanks 🙏 good to read the rules in full. My biggest takeout is we need to identify talent across the globe and quickly find them adoptive parents just before they turn 18 😂

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

How on Earth didn’t England win the semi final against Samoa last year, another missed opportunity. 

Ive been thinking that in these last two games . Basically because we totally choked it is the  best i can do

Samoa were a bit of a disorganised disgrace. Only Luki and Leniu showed up well. Crichton had a shocker. 

The Kiwis were very good though, they have a lot of strike players and good balance to the side so should trouble the Kangaroos. Foran was immense from dummy half and Tapine a standout first half