2024 Transfer Tracker

7 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

I’d say Luke Bain is more of a 13 than a big ball carrying front rower, he only weighs 95 KG.

Also I’d say Boothroyd is more of back rower than a middle foward.

Boothroyd played at prop Boxing Day and looked pretty solid. He is more a second row but in his interview said he can play prop too. He can though play in the middle if required.

Cozza featured at 13 on Boxing Day and looks like he has a good pair of hands so I expect he will play there with Pitts. 

Bain can play prop or 13 (you may have seen him more but if he’s good at 13 it gives options). I guess it shows that at the very least there are multiple possibilities with the prop and 13 positions. Not a bad thing to have at all. 

Have you seen much of Bain? He’s coming to the end of his injury recovery so I’m interested to see what he can bring to the team. 

Edited by Trojan Horse

1 hour ago, Trojan Horse said:

Boothroyd played at prop Boxing Day and looked pretty solid. He is more a second row but in his interview said he can play prop too. He can though play in the middle if required.

Cozza featured at 13 on Boxing Day and looks like he has a good pair of hands so I expect he will play there with Pitts. 

Bain can play prop or 13 (you may have seen him more but if he’s good at 13 it gives options). I guess it shows that at the very least there are multiple possibilities with the prop and 13 positions. Not a bad thing to have at all. 

Have you seen much of Bain? He’s coming to the end of his injury recovery so I’m interested to see what he can bring to the team. 

Yeah a lot of versatility in the middle pack for Wakefield, will provide a great foundation for the backs to work off. I am predicting Wakefield to win the championship, Toulouse should give them a good go though.

I haven’t got to watch Bain play too much but i know he was at parra in the NSW cup last year and he has been playing a bit for the Brisbane tigers this year. I got to watch him in the WC though for Scotland and I remember him doing pretty well. He’s the type player that is defensively sound, plays above his weight and can handle it with the biggest players on the field. 

His best position is probably 13 but it looks like he has been playing in the front row for Brisbane this year and is very capable of playing there. I doubt he is 95KG anymore so take back what I said about him not being a big ball carrying front rower, he looks to have put a heap of size just watching some clips of him for Brisbane.

10 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

It certainly is !!!!!

Great to see we are signing young players with their careers infront of them as opposed to has beens like Proctor

I agree, however the real catalyst to this change is the alteration in visa rules which allows a far greater proportion of NSW cup or Queensland Cup players to be eligible to get a visa now. A really positive development, particularly as they’ll often be cheaper signings with points to prove

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I agree, however the real catalyst to this change is the alteration in visa rules which allows a far greater proportion of NSW cup or Queensland Cup players to be eligible to get a visa now. A really positive development, particularly as they’ll often be cheaper signings with points to prove

Yes this rule change has been a good move. It more about attitude than money to me. Young players with their careers infront of them are much better than people with their careers over and looking for one last pay day. 

2 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Yes this rule change has been a good move. It more about attitude than money to me. Young players with their careers infront of them are much better than people with their careers over and looking for one last pay day. 

Yes, my point was some supporters make lazy accusations at clubs not recruiting young and up and coming players but the majority of NSW/Q Cup players were not eligible for visas previously so the pool was very limited. Those that were eligible were on the cusp of NRL and often would rather wait for their chance there

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

It can be a slippery slope and I dont see how its good for the game if clubs in the lower leagues begin to do this in any great number. I would certainly rather clubs be looking to develop young English players 

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Trojan Horse said:

I’m not even a saints fan but even I know Sambou is no longer a saints player and has signed for Oldham 2024. 

Bennison imo isn’t good enough and will soon find himself at lower SL club/top championship. He never impressed me when I’ve watched saints. That said he is young and can always improve. He’s one of those players that will do a job I suspect. Be interesting to see how he goes.

You're thinking of Jumah Sambou, who indeed you are correct signed for Oldham. Its a shame, it was entirely possible he would have gotten his debut ahead of Bennison at Leeds if he hadn't have been injured. I hope he has a clear run at Oldham as theres a good player in there. 

However I was actually referring to Dayon Sambou, Jumahs younger brother, who has just been promoted from the academy; https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2023/11/02/academy-graduates-join-first-team/

Dayon has every award under the sun at academy level (iirc he won MoM for England u18s vs France), and his only challenge in getting into the Saints team will be getting ahead of Vaughan whose also a centre. I personally hope he does as hes a better technical player than Vaughan imo (though Vaughan is miles ahead in mental attributes and part of the leadership group representing all young players). 

There are a lot of exciting players coming through at Saints at the moment, Wellens' challenge is maturing them to a point that they can achieve their potential as first teamers whilst continuing the level of success Saints fans expect. This, in my opinion is why Blake for 12 months is really clever. A longer deal would have become a problem for the players stepping up, not signing anyone would have over exposed them potentially too early.  

Edited by Magic Superbeetle
  • Like 5

48 minutes ago, Magic Superbeetle said:

You're thinking of Jumah Sambou, who indeed you are correct signed for Oldham. Its a shame, it was entirely possible he would have gotten his debut ahead of Bennison at Leeds if he hadn't have been injured. I hope he has a clear run at Oldham as theres a good player in there. 

However I was actually referring to Dayon Sambou, Jumahs younger brother, who has just been promoted from the academy; https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2023/11/02/academy-graduates-join-first-team/

Dayon has every award under the sun at academy level (iirc he won MoM for England u18s vs France), and his only challenge in getting into the Saints team will be getting ahead of Vaughan whose also a centre. I personally hope he does as hes a better technical player than Vaughan imo (though Vaughan is miles ahead in mental attributes and part of the leadership group representing all young players). 

There are a lot of exciting players coming through at Saints at the moment, Wellens' challenge is maturing them to a point that they can achieve their potential as first teamers whilst continuing the level of success Saints fans expect. This, in my opinion is why Blake for 12 months is really clever. A longer deal would have become a problem for the players stepping up, not signing anyone would have over exposed them potentially too early.  

Do you happen to know what’s going on with Owen Dagnall. I heard really good things about him but I was surprised he didn’t get a squad number. Is he still at saints and still in line for a debut ?

1 hour ago, MattSantos said:

I don't get Waqa Blake at Saints. I could start to understand it if he were off to Huddersfield or Cas, but he shouldnt be good enough to be at a top 3 club.  

I’m sure Waqa Blake wasn’t there first choice but there was really no else available this late in the offseason. But Waqa Blake is still a superb attacking player and is capable of some brilliance. Did you watch him for Fiji in the Internationals this season he was superb in all three of those games. Probably Fiji’s best player and one of the best players of that whole series.

He is absolutely rapid and give him space he is a problem. 

1 minute ago, NRLandSL said:

Do you happen to know what’s going on with Owen Dagnall. I heard really good things about him but I was surprised he didn’t get a squad number. Is he still at saints and still in line for a debut ?

He is still at Saints, but is still on an academy contract as last year he was a first year. This year is his second year, and fully expect him to get a first team contract and squad number at the end of the year, along with Robertson, Whitby and Roberts the younger along with a few others

Wouldnt be surprised in the slightest if he still did get his debut next year, but theres a lot of people ahead of him at the moment. Another that really big things are expected from, its just about introducing him at the right time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Magic Superbeetle said:

He is still at Saints, but is still on an academy contract as last year he was a first year. This year is his second year, and fully expect him to get a first team contract and squad number at the end of the year, along with Robertson, Whitby and Roberts the younger along with a few others

Wouldnt be surprised in the slightest if he still did get his debut next year, but theres a lot of people ahead of him at the moment. Another that really big things are expected from, its just about introducing him at the right time. 

St Helens youth academy is just insane some the talent they produce especially in the outside backs is probably the best in the world. As a roosters fan I am incredibly jealous. Ar the roosters there are only 2 players actually from the eastern suburbs at the club (Radley and B Smith) and practically every player in the NSW cup and jersey Flegg teams aren’t local, it’s quite embarrassing. 

Will any of those boys being appearing for Swinton this season ?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Magic Superbeetle said:

Then I apologise and stand corrected on Sambou. It’s good that there is more talent coming through and certainly positive for future national teams. While probably not reaching the level of St Helen’s I have been happy with the quality Trinity academy has produced recent years.

The issue we have had is keeping hold of them which hopefully will soon change. 

Ollie Pratt is a superb centre and has won the starting shirt this season for trinity. The lad can be a pretty special player from what I have seen. Has the physicality, skills and excellent agility. 

Back to Trinity, I expect that we will see another signing or two to finish off the squad. 

The club has just completed a 5 week refurbishment to create a new player lounge and player facilities. The new owner is serious about investing and retaining quality players and enhancing the club on all levels. 

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/effect-joinery-ltd_commercialconstruction-commercialrefurbishment-activity-7150442355471355904-Ms4F?utm_source=li_share&utm_content=feedcontent&utm_medium=g_mb_web&utm_campaign=copy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Damien said:

It can be a slippery slope and I dont see how its good for the game if clubs in the lower leagues begin to do this in any great number. I would certainly rather clubs be looking to develop young English players 

I’d be pointing the finger at SL clubs on that one!

1 hour ago, NRLandSL said:

St Helens youth academy is just insane some the talent they produce especially in the outside backs is probably the best in the world. As a roosters fan I am incredibly jealous. Ar the roosters there are only 2 players actually from the eastern suburbs at the club (Radley and B Smith) and practically every player in the NSW cup and jersey Flegg teams aren’t local, it’s quite embarrassing. 

Will any of those boys being appearing for Swinton this season ?

Our squad Swinton looks a bit thin so you would expect so, it worked for Delaney last year who started the season at Swinton and Roberts was coming along nicely till his injury. 

1 hour ago, NRLandSL said:

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

9 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

I’d be pointing the finger at SL clubs on that one!

I don't particularly see SL clubs signing a large number of cheap NSW and Queensland Cup players on the back of visa changes because if they wish to be competitive they should be setting their targets on a better calibre of player. Obviously there will be the odd exception, as there always has been, but I don't see those numbers increasing.

That's quite different than visa changes potentially meaning lower league clubs take the easy route of signing cheap overseas players who aren't good enough for SL or the NRL instead of developing their own.

11 minutes ago, Mark said:

Our squad Swinton looks a bit thin so you would expect so, it worked for Delaney last year who started the season at Swinton and Roberts was coming along nicely till his injury. 

Guys Like Vaughan, Sambou, Roberts and Stephens would be quality players in the championship. If I were Swinton I would be trying to lock down a season long loan for one or two of those guys. 

Also keep a close eye on your new halfback Joe Purcell. He is a fantastic player, Cornwall Legend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damien said:

I don't particularly see SL clubs signing a large number of cheap NSW and Queensland Cup players on the back of visa changes because if they wish to be competitive they should be setting their targets on a better calibre of player. Obviously there will be the odd exception, as there always has been, but I don't see those numbers increasing.

That's quite different than visa changes potentially meaning lower league clubs take the easy route of signing cheap overseas players who aren't good enough for SL or the NRL instead of developing their own.

I think the point he was making is that lower league clubs have their home grown talents snapped up as soon as they show even the slightest bit of promise.

Trueman, Wilson, Flanagan Jr, Lawford, Milnes, Ryan, Storton. Bradford keep producing and see them leave.

You can't blame lower league clubs for choosing to save all that development money and just sign NSW players instead.

4 hours ago, Damien said:

I think Wakefield have a pretty good record of bringing their own players through.  Hopefully with Matt Ellis in charge we can keep hold of them all rather than allowing the lazier clubs to cherry pick our best.

• Like 2

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

14 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

I think Wakefield have a pretty good record of bringing their own players through.  Hopefully with Matt Ellis in charge we can keep hold of them all rather than allowing the lazier clubs to cherry pick our best.

It was a general point based on the post I replied to as opposed to being a criticism of Wakefield. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Magic Superbeetle said:

I mean, Bennisons bigger problem is Robertson, Roberts and Whitby all coming through the academy in the spine and all potentially challenging for a starting spot in the next 3 years. All three are incredibly highly rated by the Saints coaching staff. 

As a fullback Bennison hasn’t really shown much of a passing game which is critical in modern RL, and as a winger he can’t take early carries in sets and gets too easily dominated (same with Ritson which I am firmly in the Blake to play on the wing camp). There’s no doubting he is a talented RL player, who is capable of some highlight reel stuff, and has the indefinable talent of being in the right place at the right time (as scoring in the 2022 semi and grand final shows), and a likeable lad to boot. I just don’t know what his position is. If he does gain some weight and strength over the offseason, and can develop some footwork at the line he could make it as a winger, or maybe even centre if he bulks out more. 

But competition for places is only a good thing and I’m sure Bennison, Ritson, Davies, Sambou and Vaughan will all be pushing Blake and Hurrell for their spot.

Thanks for the posts MS. Living miles away from the town nowadays, way out of the loop regarding the Academy. 

I’d be keen on a backline of:

1. Welsby 2. Makinson 3. Percival 4. Blake 5. Ritson 6. Lomax 7. Dodd.

We were desperately short of pace last year in the backs. A starting 7 like above starts to address that issue. Hurrell, Bennison et al as back ups for this season.

Edited by GeordieSaint

5 hours ago, NRLandSL said:

I’m sure Waqa Blake wasn’t there first choice but there was really no else available this late in the offseason. But Waqa Blake is still a superb attacking player and is capable of some brilliance. Did you watch him for Fiji in the Internationals this season he was superb in all three of those games. Probably Fiji’s best player and one of the best players of that whole series.

He is absolutely rapid and give him space he is a problem. 

Meh. Ideally, our best club (arguably), shouldn't be signing a player who isn't in the top 25 in his position.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

45 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Thanks for the posts MS. Living miles away from the town nowadays, way out of the loop regarding the Academy. 

I’d be keen on a backline of:

1. Welsby 2. Makinson 3. Percival 4. Blake Ritson 6. Lomax 7. Dodd.

We were desperately short of pace last year in the backs. A starting 7 like above starts to address that issue. Hurrell, Bennison et al as back ups for this season.

if you have Saints TV theres an interview with Mike Rush recently thats well worth a watch. He says he thinks theres a dozen players between the academy cohort thats just graduated and next years who can make a full time career out of professional RL and theres 4-5 who can go on to international level or higher (comparing to Jack Welsby) - he also thinks 2 players will get their debut this year which our fans will be raving about. Well worth a watch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1