The IMG Gradings Thread - Post all your IMG Gradings related questions or comments here

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Are London just better off giving their spot back to Wakey now? I assume they wouldn't be able to step up to make the top 12 in 12m?

This is basically relegating them now isn't it? 

Stick with a part time squad, pocket the TV money for a season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OdsalBull said:

So you are suggesting the club inflate attendances? Personally I dispute this

How are attendances audited? I have been to certain games where I have literally been able to count the number of spectators present and the announced attendance has been 2 or 3 times the number of people apparently present.

Just now, Spidey said:

Better or worse than the state of Cas

I can't be bothered listening to the whining from clubs today. Cas being 13th, again, doesn't seem too far out of whack with reality.

• Like 5

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

This is actually good stuff. The criteria is perfectly fine.

People saying they "feel" this and that about where certain teams should be need to keep it to themselves. Feelings have gotten the English game into the mess its in.

Let's hope the teams work hard to improve their score.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

new rise.jpg

Warren Buffet - talking about IMG apparently:

"“Investors should be skeptical of history-based models. Constructed by a nerdy-sounding priesthood using esoteric terms such as beta, gamma, sigma and the like, these models tend to look impressive. Too often, though, investors forget to examine the assumptions behind the models. Beware of geeks bearing formulas.”

3 minutes ago, Pulga said:

This is actually good stuff. The criteria is perfectly fine.

People saying they "feel" this and that about where certain teams should be need to keep it to themselves. Feelings have gotten the English game into the mess its in.

Let's hope the teams work hard to improve their score.

I don't disagree about the scores tbh, I think they are what they are, I think it is the system that is under stress here. But as I pointed out, this only really happens as you move from one system to another, once you are in the new system it should normalise and work fine. 

That transition could be messy though. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 2

David Hughes getting exactly the return he deserves for ignoring the need to market the club 

I'm sorry. But if he'd not employed McKay, not moved away from the quin's Brans to hide McKAys incompetence, not moved to a ground where he was not wanted, not then moved to a wedding venue he called perfect only to alienate the landlord, not employed an assistant accountant as CEO and then moved the whole lot across the river to Merton, they might have for a higher score than Doncaster or even Newcastle, who won't even compete next year.

As a fan of the club for over 2 decades it's hard to say, but we're reaping the rewards of his madness.

Thanks Dave

Edited by Londonbornirishbred
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Leonard said:

How are Toulouse above Leigh?

Did Hunter Biden do these figures after a heavy weekend on crack?

Why wouldnt they be?

They've been in SL as much as Leigh the last 3 years, would score higher in areas such as catchment, where they would be one of the few clubs to get full marks, and they probably do as well in many other categories such as stadium etc.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

Warren Buffet - talking about IMG apparently:

"“Investors should be skeptical of history-based models. Constructed by a nerdy-sounding priesthood using esoteric terms such as beta, gamma, sigma and the like, these models tend to look impressive. Too often, though, investors forget to examine the assumptions behind the models. Beware of geeks bearing formulas.”

Indeed. Sport being turned into a formula devised by men in suits never sits well with me. London Broncos have already made a mockery of it and I can see more following them.

Just now, Dave T said:

I don't disagree about the scores tbh, I think they are what they are, I think it is the system that is under stress here. But as I pointed out, this only really happens as you love from one system to another, once you are in the new system it should normalise and work fine. 

That transition could be messy though. 

Agreed. I just hope that the RFL don't give IMG the flick after a predictable meltdown from a stack of clubs/media/fans.

• Like 2

new rise.jpg

1 minute ago, Londonbornirishbred said:

David Hughes getting exactly the return he deserves for ignoring the need to market the club 

I'm sorry. But if he'd not employed McKay, not moved away from the quin's Beans, not moved to a ground where he want wanted, not then moved to a wedding venue he calle perfect only to alienate the landlord, not employed an assistant accountant as CEO and then moved the whole lot across the river to Merton, they might have for a higher score than Doncaster or even Newcastle, who won't even compete next year.

As a fan of the club for over 2 decades it's hard to say, but we're reaping the rewards of his madness.

Spot on.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Damien said:

Why wouldnt they be?

They've been in SL as much as Leigh the last 3 years, would score higher in areas such as catchment, where they would be one of the few clubs to get full marks, and they probably do as well in many other categories such as stadium etc.

Yez, in reality, another decent season for Leigh and they climb those rankings anyway. They suffer from average performances over a period of time. 

So Newcastle, who barely even exist, are better set for Super League than London.

Wakefield get the chance at more points by winning the Championship and 1895 Cup, by comparison to Castleford and Leigh.

London's relegation is all but confirmed before the season starts.

This is why sport should be played on a field, not a spreadsheet.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Londonbornirishbred said:

I'm sorry. But if he'd not employed McKay, not moved away from the quin's Beans, not moved to a ground where he want wanted, not then moved to a wedding venue he calle perfect only to alienate the landlord, not employed an assistant accountant as CEO and then moved the whole lot across the river to Merton, they might have for a higher score than Doncaster or even Newcastle, who won't even compete next year.

All probably fair.

But below Doncaster and Barrow and a team that has folded?

I mean - wow.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Why wouldnt they be?

I could put a team in Mumbai for catchment points. But I wouldn't rate it above Cornwall.

26 minutes ago, BD20Cougar said:

Seems about right towards the top but becomes an absolute mess the further down you go. Highlights being a Newcastle Thunder that may not even make the startline for 2024 being above the likes of fax and Batley, and London's comically low score. 

I have nothing against Doncaster but I'd be interested to see the breakdown of how they managed to sneak into category B having been in league 1 for most of the last decade. Also wasn't expecting much for my own club and we're presumably still being hurt by our league position from 2019 when we had a points deduction.

Donny's crowds, finances and stadium are better than some Championships clubs, and they've always been near top of L1 so the deficit on performance isn't too huge to the bottom of Championship. It's not the most headscratching of the gradings for me.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

How many clubs have told you they will not publish the figures?

The only club I'm immediately aware of to have revealed their figures are Hunslet.

Their total of 6.94 comprises:

Performance:  0.46 (from a possible 5)

Fandom: 2.05 (from a possible 5)

Finances: 1.75 (from a possible 4.5)

Stadium: 0.68 (from a possible 3)

Community: 2.00 (from a possible 2.5)

Apart from that, I haven't seen any evidence of other clubs being similarly forthcoming.

My guess is that the vast majority won't want to reveal their detailed figures.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Yez, in reality, another decent season for Leigh and they climb those rankings anyway. They suffer from average performances over a period of time. 

Of course the idea that a season in SL getting relegated - and quite easily - rates the same as a season in the Playoffs and winning the CC is bonkers in itself.

Do they weight success in seasons or is finishing 11th every year the same as finishing third every season?

1 minute ago, Martyn Sadler said:

My guess is that the vast majority won't want to reveal their detailed figures.

Exactly. It's far easier to rant about them being unfair when you won't release them into the public domain.

• Like 3