The IMG Gradings Thread - Post all your IMG Gradings related questions or comments here

I think these ratings have value and I don't think there's any real surprises (despite what those clubs think). I still don't necessarily agree that promotion and relegation should be based on this. The ratings could be used in another way like using it for funding purposes which would encourage clubs to invest in their facilties. Anyway we shall see how things go, the game needed a shake up and this is it! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Griff said:

1.  I've often wondered that myself.  Support another club if you want, it's not mandatory to stick with Fev.

2. Just browse the IMG points system.

3. Published already.

4. Same as you do now.  Most of the players in the Championship want to play part-time.  They're not looking for a full time career in the game, though that's obviously not true of every player.

How can anyone change teams is beyond me I'd stop going first.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, OriginalMrC said:

I think these ratings have value and I don't think there's any real surprises (despite what those clubs think). I still don't necessarily agree that promotion and relegation should be based on this. The ratings could be used in another way like using it for funding purposes which would encourage clubs to invest in their facilties. Anyway we shall see how things go, the game needed a shake up and this is it! 

Of course the ratings have value, but they shouldn't be the most valuable thing. The actual sport should be...

• Like 2

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

3 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Of course the ratings have value, but they shouldn't be the most valuable thing. The actual sport should be...

So we're back to it doesn't matter how carp your ground ìs as long as you win.

Are we not trying to move away from that?

Edited by Griff
  • Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Just now, Griff said:

So we're back to it doesn't matter how carp your ground ìs as long as you win.

Are we not trying to move away from that?

No. I'm saying the ground* shouldn't be more important than what actually happens on it.

*And other non actual rugby performance related factors

As ArchieG alluded to, a hybrid model.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

24 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Its horrible and I knew it would be, but seeing it documented is even worse. Even the spreadsheet diehards are struggling to defend this as it's plain as day that this approach is catastrophic and won't bring anything like the improvements some people are hoping it will.

How do you explain this abomination to a potential new fan of the sport in the UK? It's inexplicable and I'm sorry to say is going to turn existing fans away. The reality really hit when everyone saw where London were didn't it.

Two of the most exciting aspects of this season were the relegation battle in SL and the promotion play-offs in the Championship. Ripping that up for this is yet another hammer blow to the sport in the UK. IMG aren't taking this seriously either, the planning and execution are pathetic.

As we sit here today we still have no idea on structures in the lower leagues for next year, you have IMG saying SL might expand very soon and London planning a pointless expedition into SL for a year despite delivering something of a fairytale story last season. The sport in the UK is a shambles. 

They haven't really. All they've said is that more clubs have achieved an A than expected so the dream of 12 A clubs is a bit closer.

2 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

No. I'm saying the ground* shouldn't be more important than what actually happens on it.

I think there's always the risk that that scenario will be abused.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

16 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

1. I'm a Fev fan. It seemed a logical question to ask; why should anyone continue to support their team if what happens when you support them, ie the actual rugby appears not to matter. If people are fans of the sport for the sports sake rather than winning and competing at the highest level possible, what happens when you lose? Are you sad at all, even for a moment? What happens when it's the World Cup. Do you want England to win or are folk not bothered because it's sport innit. I'm not asking anyone to make any choices for me. Relax babez

2. It's not all to see. I don't have a breakdown. I have no real factual insight into how a grade has been attained. If only we had a league table that valued wins, points scored and conceded. That'd work.. How often is the new grading league table updated?

3. So, the grades are revealed after the GF. In this scenario, we go to Toulouse with a week's notice of a venue and win in the last minute. #scenes #limbs. Nah, don't be stupid... we have to fly home and wait for the announcement to 4 twitter journalists on a Wednesday morning who has the higher grade. It's a horrific version of VAR.

4. See the above. I feel for the players. Some want to be part time, most want to play at the highest level and play at a club with similar ambitions.

See above. People can make it a strange question by being flippant and that's fine. 

Aye.

Yep. I like the principles behind this whole shenanigans, the implementation scares the hell out of me though and as a fan of actual sport it's just saddening.

I’m not sure what you want me to say.

The clubs have voted this in it’s happening, your club can still get into SL, performance on the field will help that.

If the new grading system has put you off supporting your club Im not saying sure what any answers on here will help with that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

If that was the case it would be even more difficult for non Super League teams to finish above Super League teams in any grading.

22 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

How can anyone change teams is beyond me I'd stop going first.

Watch the team you follow up sticks and move then fold. Then follow another team who move and eventually fold under thier 3rd version. Then another sell out rebrand and move and be in the verge of not having league one to play in.

By your love of the game I'd have quit over a decade ago and have missed the pure joy or thousands of people dressed in cheap leopard skins running around London cheering and it not being a hen do.

• Like 1

I seem to remember reading, and I'm totally prepared to be corrected on this because I'm questioning myself, that the 'A' grading teams would be protected from relegation from SL but that other teams wouldn't.  On this basis, I conclude that if London finish second bottom and another 'B' team below them then London would avoid relegation.  But according to what people are saying here, there's no point in them trying because they are ranked 24th and lowest of the SL teams and therefore would go down whaterver.  Only one of these scenarios can be true - can anybody pitch in with some clarification?

Edited by Hello
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hello said:

I seem to remember reading, and I'm totally prepared to be corrected on this because I'm questioning myself, that the 'A' grading teams would be protected from relegation from SL but that other teams wouldn't.  On this basis, I conclude that if London finish second bottom and another 'B' team below them then London would avoid relegation.  But according to what people are saying here, there's no point in them trying because they are ranked 24th and lowest of the SL teams and therefore would go down whaterver.  Only one of these scenarios can be true - can anybody pitch in with some clarification?

Well we could be these are this week's rules.

10 hours ago, Gates1 said:

Stick with a part time squad, pocket the TV money for a season.

That’s about the sum total of it. Other clubs can pick up the southern players after that. Job done.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

1 hour ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Its horrible and I knew it would be, but seeing it documented is even worse. Even the spreadsheet diehards are struggling to defend this as it's plain as day that this approach is catastrophic and won't bring anything like the improvements some people are hoping it will.

How do you explain this abomination to a potential new fan of the sport in the UK? It's inexplicable and I'm sorry to say is going to turn existing fans away. The reality really hit when everyone saw where London were didn't it.

Two of the most exciting aspects of this season were the relegation battle in SL and the promotion play-offs in the Championship. Ripping that up for this is yet another hammer blow to the sport in the UK. IMG aren't taking this seriously either, the planning and execution are pathetic.

As we sit here today we still have no idea on structures in the lower leagues for next year, you have IMG saying SL might expand very soon and London planning a pointless expedition into SL for a year despite delivering something of a fairytale story last season. The sport in the UK is a shambles. 

I would like to take your comments above and put them to the RFL for a response.

You are expressing views that I suspect are shared by a considerable number of supporters and the questions you raise should be addressed directly.

There was a press conference today but the RFL and the IMG representative skirted around the issues you raise, rather than addressing them directly.

Would you be happy for me to 'borrow' your post in an email to Tony Sutton?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ColD said:

How do clubs ranked 10 to 14 recruit for 2025, any one of those could be in or out 

Recruitment is the least of their worries, we have 2 clubs who won't make Super League based on a fraction of a grading point.

No Sky TV money, no visiting SL teams, a huge financial hit.

Their grades will no doubt fall in relation to those who get through the door before it is slammed shut, it is likely a semi permanent exclusion from the top table when we have it black and white on paper that the difference between the clubs (based on the criteria chosen) us absolutely minimal. That is clearly unfair, and making the split at an arbitrary point in time doesn't make it better.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hello said:

I thought the same but re-read the documents and it appears not for the initial year, I do think it works like that going forward though 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hopie said:

Recruitment is the least of their worries, we have 2 clubs who won't make Super League based on a fraction of a grading point.

No Sky TV money, no visiting SL teams, a huge financial hit.

Their grades will no doubt fall in relation to those who get through the door before it is slammed shut, it is likely a semi permanent exclusion from the top table when we have it black and white on paper that the difference between the clubs (based on the criteria chosen) us absolutely minimal. That is clearly unfair, and making the split at an arbitrary point in time doesn't make it better.

You are absolutely right. The split between team 12 and team 13 may be 0.25 points, which is surely within any margin of error, but the financial consequences could be catastrophic for the team ranked 13.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hello said:

Yeah initially it did sound like this would be the system then a mission creep happened I guess.......

• Like 1
  • Sad 1