The IMG Gradings Thread - Post all your IMG Gradings related questions or comments here

2 hours ago, Derwent Parker said:

I may have misread but i think you got the last paragraph wrong.

You said "with new entrants only coming in when they could demonstrably add value (expanding the league to do so).

IMG said that SL will extend whenever a team achieves an "A" automatically.

Because ALL "A"s are guaranteed SL

It wont happen but hypothetically if 11 teams go crazy this year and achieve "A"s then next year is an 18team SL

I don't think that will happen in practice. I expect that the move from a 12 team to 14 team league will only be made in concert with a TV contract. If and when Sky or whoever will pay enough to support a 14 team league, and if there are 14 A-grade sides, then the comp will expand when that TV deal starts. Not a moment sooner. 

• Like 3

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

3 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I don't think that will happen in practice. I expect that the move from a 12 team to 14 team league will only be made in concert with a TV contract. If and when Sky or whoever will pay enough to support a 14 team league, and if there are 14 A-grade sides, then the comp will expand when that TV deal starts. Not a moment sooner. 

Irrelevant, no club outside SL will make an A grade 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

You'd better stay away from a thread that talks about the gradings then.

I was just seeing what folk might be saying about London Broncos and the fact that they will be relegated at the end of next season, before even one ball has been passed.

Just now, Zilla Budgie said:

I was just seeing what folk might be saying about London Broncos and the fact that they will be relegated at the end of next season, before even one ball has been passed.

It isn't that surprising to those that read what was happening before the final kicked off. But other than that - It is mostly the same IMG arguments from before the gradings were announced

Just now, Zilla Budgie said:

The interim season always had the chance it would throw up an anomaly, the London owner seems fine with it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

{the London owner seems fine with it.}

IMG have just reinforced what pretty much every London Broncos fan I know have been screaming at him since day one of his tenure. I've just read on another site that if IMG had graded Harlequins RL in 2008 when Hughes just took the reins they'd have been close to an A grade and it's hard to disagree.

knowing what needs to be done and actually doing it is the difference and it didn't take IMG for Hughes to learn what's needed. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Londonbornirishbred said:

IMG have just reinforced what pretty much every London Broncos fan I know have been screaming at him since day one of his tenure. I've just read on another site that if IMG had graded Harlequins RL in 2008 when Hughes just took the reins they'd have been close to an A grade and it's hard to disagree.

knowing what needs to be done and actually doing it is the difference and it didn't take IMG for Hughes to learn what's needed. 

It's crazy when you think of it like that. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, M j M said:

I've updated my estimate of Leeds calc using @Barley Mow's revised performance figures. Plus I've corrected the stadium utilisation scores using last three year averages where before I'd incorrectly just used 2023 (for 2021 I've only taken games with unrestricted crowds).

I wasn't expecting it to work but... it did!

leeds-assessment-261023.jpg

interesting although i did not realise points were awarded for increase in owner investment.  in this case it looks strange because the owner does not need to increase investment.  what on earth would Leeds spend the extra investment on that they cant manage to do now

Edited by paul hicks

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

The club has had an active ' foundation ' since 2003 , it is not directly funded through the club , as a previous chair/CEO wanted to set up something different , it was originally the clubs community dept ( as it was termed at most other clubs 20 years ago before the word ' foundation ' became popular ) and now operates under the Leigh Youth and Community Trust 

Thanks. Do you think it will have been counted, given there is no direct funding from the club?

Just now, paul hicks said:

interesting although i did not realise points were awarded for increase in owner investment.  in this case it looks strange because the owner does not need to increase investment.  what on ear would Leeds spend the extra investment on 

I don't think you need to actually spend it, but simply use the mechanism to gain extra points.

6 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

interesting although i did not realise points were awarded for increase in owner investment.  in this case it looks strange because the owner does not need to increase investment.  what on earth would Leeds spend the extra investment on that they cant manage to do now

I agree, it penalises self-sufficient clubs. Here's the official logic behind it.

ownerinvestment.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Thanks. Do you think it will have been counted, given there is no direct funding from the club?

Lots of foundations work that way , using grant money , that's why most if not all are registered charities , there will be some input from the club 

32 minutes ago, Damien said:

Edited by GUBRATS

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Any chance you can post the full list?

I’m having some tech issues, but do have a bad photo of the list (league derived only, awaiting final ratification that I’ve done it right (!), and with a technical query of no consequence on Cornwall). Hopefully it’ll be attached here. If not, it’s posted on Twitter by RL_RKC, and I’ve retweeted it in my own name 👍

edit: it’s too big to attach here, so check Twitter out!

For more information on the Rugby League Record Keepers' Club please visit our official website at www.rugbyleaguerecords.com

2 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Taking the same principle.

1st, 1st and 3rd. Average position is ... 1.6

How is that scored?

edit...

Is the 1.6 average then ranked into another league table and then scored again. What happens if there's a tie?

Your edit is right re how it works. 3 season average position calculated; teams ranked in order. 1st get 4, 2nd gets 3.89, down to 35th getting 0.11. Of two teams are tied they share the points. So for example, Wigan and Catalans both average 3.33 over the past 3 seasons, they both therefore get 3.83, being the average of what 2nd and 3rd should get. Simples 😂

• Like 1

For more information on the Rugby League Record Keepers' Club please visit our official website at www.rugbyleaguerecords.com

5 minutes ago, Neil_Ormston said:

I’m having some tech issues, but do have a bad photo of the list (league derived only, awaiting final ratification that I’ve done it right (!), and with a technical query of no consequence on Cornwall). Hopefully it’ll be attached here. If not, it’s posted on Twitter by RL_RKC, and I’ve retweeted it in my own name 👍

Where on Twitter please?

3 minutes ago, dboy said:

Where on Twitter please?

As per my response: posted by @RL_RKC, RT by me (search Neil Ormston, you should find it easily!)

edit: someone posted on the previous page. Sorry, I’m playing catch up 😊

Edited by Neil_Ormston
Additional info
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neil_Ormston said:

Thanks. @Spidey posted the link to the Twitter (sorry X) post above so I've seen it now - saved me from cranking up the calculator and having Mrs S muttering away as I trawled through past league tables!

• Like 1