Jack Welsby off to the NRL ?

I have my own opinion on what competition is the best.  The NRL is head and shoulders above Super League. But I do enjoy Super League.  I believe there are about another 20 players who could play in the NRL.  Disappointed that Matt Whitley and Mike Meek are not playing in the NRL.  

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

SL players have come up against NRL players on 3 occasions this year: Saints played the “mighty” Penrith away, and England have played the Tonga “NRL superstars” twice. We have been better on each occasion. How difficult is the NRL? Well, Sutton is earning a living there. There are probably 100 SL players who could get into squads over there. The NRL is stronger, but there is no chasm between us and them. 

I don't watch all of the NRL games by any means but from what I have seen, if their is any difference between that and SL it is the three-quarter plays.

The NRL teams always seem to be able to come up with more elaborate play in the backs leading to loads of tries scored by getting numbers out wide over the opposition.

I'm not sure whether this is due to the players being better or the running patterns being more developed/better coached but it is different.

If every game between SL and the NRL turned into a forward battle, then every game would be 50/50 in my opinion.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

SL players have come up against NRL players on 3 occasions this year: Saints played the “mighty” Penrith away, and England have played the Tonga “NRL superstars” twice. We have been better on each occasion. How difficult is the NRL? Well, Sutton is earning a living there. There are probably 100 SL players who could get into squads over there. The NRL is stronger, but there is no chasm between us and them. 

Penrith were just beaten and had a shocking start to the year. 

• Like 1

Its probably a little leftfield but there are strong rumours that Wigan are after Welsby too and would offer a lot. Not as much as what he can get in the NRL but huge money for SL. Obviously it depends if he wants to go to the NRL or not first.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Its probably a little leftfield but there are strong rumours that Wigan are after Welsby too and would offer a lot. Not as much as what he can get in the NRL but huge money for SL. Obviously it depends if he wants to go to the NRL or not first.

Sign for Wigan for a few years and then do what all the others have done. Claim it's always been his dream and Wigan will let him go.

It's a strategy that seems to have worked for all that have tried it so far.

7 hours ago, Damien said:

In theory any SL team can blow the NRL offers out of the water with the marquee rule. There is essentially no salary cap for the 2 highest paid players in each super league team.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AB90 said:

In theory any SL team can blow the NRL offers out of the water with the marquee rule. There is essentially no salary cap for the 2 highest paid players in each super league team.

Yeah it doesn't make much sense for teams to do that.

3 hours ago, Damien said:

So which SL teams have billionaire owners then?

I was hoping Sir James would extend his Manchester sports investment and add Salford RD to said portfolio. What a shot in the arm that would be for the RDs and it wouldn't cost that much to do so. I guess profile is everything. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2023 at 16:38, Damien said:

This rumour has not gone away. I hear Wigan prepared and able to match the NRL....

4 hours ago, del capo said:

This rumour has not gone away. I hear Wigan prepared and able to match the NRL....

If he leaves Saints it will be for the NRL a good chance if he came back it would then be to Wigan (like Thompson)as I don’t see anyone else matching their offer. 

On 02/11/2023 at 09:20, Coco said:

I have my own opinion on what competition is the best.  The NRL is head and shoulders above Super League. But I do enjoy Super League.  I believe there are about another 20 players who could play in the NRL.  Disappointed that Matt Whitley and Mike Meek are not playing in the NRL.  

If the Aussies are daft enough to think Bateman is any good you can turn that 20 to about 80.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1