2024 Grand Final Tickets

2 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

RFL marketing gurus really do have a step or two on their colleagues in other sports.

Never seen NFL sell superbowl tickets at 50% off, Has anyone managed to get half price Wimbledon tickets? Any Man City fans on here to tell us how much discount they got on Champions league final and FACup final tickets.

What next….I am expecting tickets dropping out of the corn flakes packet soon.

The only people buying tickets so far in advance are likely to be folks who know already they will go, precisely because they always go. So these discounts essentially reduce revenue. 

I hope they passed this particular brain wave past their IMG friends first.

Anyway now they have got this urgent priority out of the way we can turn our attention to more minor less pressing matters like the structure of the game below super league. Clubs already back in pre season training without knowing who they will play against, how many games there will be.

I don't disagree with the whole of this, and yeah I'm sure it's the people who go year in year out who will be looking to take advantage of this, but these people may potentially be buying earlier, with the effect of shifting more tickets earlier and creating more of a buzz around the event, which longer-term might make up for what on the face of it looks like just gifting a discount.

2 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

RFL marketing gurus really do have a step or two on their colleagues in other sports.

Never seen NFL sell superbowl tickets at 50% off, Has anyone managed to get half price Wimbledon tickets? Any Man City fans on here to tell us how much discount they got on Champions league final and FACup final tickets.

What next….I am expecting tickets dropping out of the corn flakes packet soon.

The only people buying tickets so far in advance are likely to be folks who know already they will go, precisely because they always go. So these discounts essentially reduce revenue. 

I hope they passed this particular brain wave past their IMG friends first.

Anyway now they have got this urgent priority out of the way we can turn our attention to more minor less pressing matters like the structure of the game below super league. Clubs already back in pre season training without knowing who they will play against, how many games there will be.

That’s a ridiculous comment IMO. Why would a sports event that sells out year on year discount their tickets at all never mind by 50%?

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Do we have to pretend that they haven't had deals on tickets bought early for both finals for years now, so we can slag off the RFL/IMG/whoever else?

I posted the OP thinking I was helping someone who might want to buy some tickets save some money but the thread has turned into yet another RFL assassination one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I thought we all complain about the RFL discounting tickets at the last minute so anyone who buys early are getting ripped off. We also complain that not enough tickets are sold early so that we aren’t just relying on the finalists.

The RFL are trying to reward early purchases and sell tickets long before the event like we ask and we still complain!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

These comparisons are a nonsense. Different things are different sizes.

Of course they are, which is why I wasn't comparing anything. Just pointing out that premier events do not sell themselves short from the get go. That said, it's better than having last minute ticket reductions after people have paid full whack.

Many of the reasons trotted out ie people are skint so let's make tickets cheap, don't seem to affect people in other working class areas that spend much more money (a lot more) on football. Are they more dedicated than RL fans? Probably 

25 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Of course they are, which is why I wasn't comparing anything. Just pointing out that premier events do not sell themselves short from the get go. That said, it's better than having last minute ticket reductions after people have paid full whack.

Many of the reasons trotted out ie people are skint so let's make tickets cheap, don't seem to affect people in other working class areas that spend much more money (a lot more) on football. Are they more dedicated than RL fans? Probably 

it's just a numbers game really. There are far, far more people that are paying customers, but the makeup of fanbases will be similar in some cases. People always talk about things like soccer fans travelling all over the place, but it's common to see huge empty sections for midweek games etc. just as it would be in RL. They just have many more people who are able to fill the seats. 

I think sometimes we need to give our fanbase a break. They are normal people, in some cases, the same people who we refer to in other sports. 

• Like 1

There were estimated 15 - 20 thousand Newcastle United fans in Germany last night, majority without tickets, for a Champions League away game.  The north east is not a wealthy part of the UK…

If people want to go they will pay anything.  If they don’t, and it is not seen as a hot ticket, you will struggle to give away tickets for free.  Rugby League big events are iin with lower Football League play off events, Premiership Rugby Union and MotoGP Grand Prix.  Not e.g Premier League football, Wimbledon or F1 Grand Prix scale/pricing.

Certain premium sporting events are guaranteed sell outs whereas others are not.  The Premiership Rugby final last year looked to have 61k against the 82k Twickenham capacity.  This is broadly in line with the Grand Final 58k attendance against Old Trafford 74k capacity.  On that measure I think Rugby League is doing ok and as noted GF attendance is higher when 2 x English teams play.

When you add in 58k at the Challenge Cup final and over 63k at Magic Weekend across the 2 x days I think Rugby League does decent for the big club events.  I think there could be much more upside for England matches however.

Edited by Coastal_Geordie
  • Like 4

@Anita Bathyes- I hate to use myself as an example, because the worst thing in marketing you can do is think that other people think like you do. 

However I'll go to grand final, probably won't buy a streaming pass. I'll now get 50pc off my grand final ticket and pay £30, but they could get me to part with over £100 for streaming/ grand final combo 

5 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Do we have to pretend that they haven't had deals on tickets bought early for both finals for years now, so we can slag off the RFL/IMG/whoever else?

I wasn't pretending. I see it as a mistake, so repeating that mistake isn't a good thing in my opinion either.

I've queued for hours to buy grand final tickets (before it was easier to buy them online) and I've had free tickets that I didn't use and couldn't give away, so I'm aware opinions on the value of the product may vary, but in hard times we have to sell things for what they are worth.

If the tickets are priced correctly then there is no reason to discount them so heavily, particularly the premium seats. There are very cheap seats available for those that really want to go but can't pay full whack, sell the expensive seats to those with money to spare. 

15 hours ago, Hopie said:

I wasn't pretending. I see it as a mistake, so repeating that mistake isn't a good thing in my opinion either.

I've queued for hours to buy grand final tickets (before it was easier to buy them online) and I've had free tickets that I didn't use and couldn't give away, so I'm aware opinions on the value of the product may vary, but in hard times we have to sell things for what they are worth.

If the tickets are priced correctly then there is no reason to discount them so heavily, particularly the premium seats. There are very cheap seats available for those that really want to go but can't pay full whack, sell the expensive seats to those with money to spare. 

So what do you think a GF ticket is worth?

Surprise surprise, another #### up. I went to the link in the email to buy tickets. The usual section I buy tickets in (N3414) is allegedly 80% sold which is amazing seeing as tickets didn’t go on general sale until 5pm today. I checked at 4:50 pm and was hoping the info was wrong but lo and behold once 5pm ticked around the screen never altered. Looking at other areas that were available the GF must be heading for a sell out before Christmas. The RFL and SL websites don’t even have any information regarding the 2024 GF. The RFL is the gift that keeps on giving. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Surprise surprise, another #### up. I went to the link in the email to buy tickets. The usual section I buy tickets in (N3414) is allegedly 80% sold which is amazing seeing as tickets didn’t go on general sale until 5pm today. I checked at 4:50 pm and was hoping the info was wrong but lo and behold once 5pm ticked around the screen never altered. Looking at other areas that were available the GF must be heading for a sell out before Christmas. The RFL and SL websites don’t even have any information regarding the 2024 GF. The RFL is the gift that keeps on giving. 🙄

Bought mine at lunch time via the dedicated link for previous purchasers that went live 8am, plenty available but did notice they were only selling alternate rows in my section, N2404, so might be the same in your block - maybe worth waiting to see if they open up additional rows or maybe give them a ring Monday. Lots of blocks not for sale yet, so assume they will go live when the offer ends.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Bought mine at lunch time via the dedicated link for previous purchasers that went live 8am, plenty available but did notice they were only selling alternate rows in my section, N2404, so might be the same in your block - maybe worth waiting to see if they open up additional rows or maybe give them a ring Monday. Lots of blocks not for sale yet, so assume they will go live when the offer ends.

I have had seats in the same area for about the last ten years barring the covid year. I have been to every GF barring said covid game so you might say I’m a “ previous purchaser”. At no point have I received any communication telling me tickets went live at 8am. This isn’t a dig at you mate just me having a rant about a joke organisation. If I don’t get the area I usually sit in then I will be seriously considering whether it’s worth giving them my money x 6.

Edited by Gomersall

39 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

I have had seats in the same area for about the last ten years barring the covid year. I have been to every GF barring said covid game so you might say I’m a “ previous purchaser”. At no point have I received any communication telling me tickets went live at 8am. This isn’t a dig at you mate just me having a rant about a joke organisation. If I don’t get the area I usually sit in then I will be seriously considering whether it’s worth giving them my money x 6.

I am a previous purchaser many times too and never got the email link, it was forwarded to me by a friend who used to sort his own tickets but has came with our group for the last couple of years. Wasn't many in our preferred clock, STH125 when I booked at lunch time. Get the impression that they are limiting how many they sell at half price.

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

41 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

I have a long history of frustration with the RFL ticketing experience, right up to and including the test series last month.

The email landed in my inbox today at 08.01, maybe it was a random drop for some strange reason.

Looking at the map there are tickets in groups of 6 available to me in your section, rows 5, 7, 9, 11 for example - they are £25 each. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, northamptoncougar said:

Is there a reason to be worried about this promotion, are the RFL in desperate need of the money instantly?

Possibly, but they did the same promotion last year, so maybe it achieved what they wanted so they've repeated it

• Like 1

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand