Wigan v Penrith World Club challenge at the JJB

8 hours ago, yanto said:

Went on line this morning after getting an email from the RFL.

Four seats in the East Stand (in line with the try line) bought with no hassle.

ES2 for any Wigan fans who knows the seating...is it a decent view ? 

Even a discount for us old geezers 🙃

Town center Premier Inn booked Friday and Saturday.

What a different experience than when I tried to buy tickets for the Saints v Leigh semi final last season.

Can sit back and relax now knowing "Its on"

As Padge says it's a good view all round .

There's a soccer website you can look at called  'view my seat'  you can google . Just put in the D W and it will give you a good idea .   The higher up to an extent the better the view but that's just a matter of preference.

By the way your'e in the section Wigan  RL advised any Penrith fans to go for !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NRLandSL said:

Would Love to See the WCC at a bigger stadium next year.

Let's get this one sold out first. 

Next year it's back in Aussie. Do you think they will do any better crowd wise than last year's effort ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, del capo said:

Next year it's back in Aussie. Do you think they will do any better crowd wise than last year's effort ?

Has it been confirmed back in aus? 

4 hours ago, NRLandSL said:

Has it been confirmed back in aus? 

Not yet but the agreement  between the NRL and RFL from November 2013 was to alternate the venues .

If Penrith dip this time and after Saints heroics the Aussies will have to treat this game seriously ( their normal excuse for failures ) and play the next one in their own back yard.

Unless of course they choose to jib.....

On 04/01/2024 at 01:29, del capo said:

There's a soccer website you can look at called  'view my seat'  you can google . Just put in the D W and it will give you a good idea .   The higher up to an extent the better the view but that's just a matter of preference.

Two of my mates are Saints fans the other a Rhino so they wanted to be part of the "opposition" 🫣 Get the crack going if there are a number of Penrith fans travelling thats for sure.

Im an exiled Brit / Workington Town shouting for any of ours when they play the Aussies so for the night Im Wigan.

Edited by yanto
  • Like 2

On 04/01/2024 at 01:29, del capo said:

It has its knockers but the DW doesn't have a bad seat and the steep stands mean the view is great anywhere. The main downside to the ground and main criticism is the atmosphere for the smaller games when it is half empty. However that certainly will not apply here and when it is full, or even just 17k+, the atmosphere is always pretty fantastic and hard to beat.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2

On 04/01/2024 at 01:33, del capo said:

I would imagine that is very much dependent on who takes the NRL title this year.

If it is the Broncos and the '25 Challenge is at Suncorp etc etc.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I would imagine that is very much dependent on who takes the NRL title this year.

If it is the Broncos and the '25 Challenge is at Suncorp etc etc.

Plus whether the NRL champion is in next year's Vegas 4.

5 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Plus whether the NRL champion is in next year's Vegas 4.

They worked around it easy enough this year.

Just needs a Coalition of the Willing - maybe not the NRL's strongest feature... and another reason , one not yet used , to jib if Wigan manage to turn Penrith over..........

4 hours ago, del capo said:

Just needs a Coalition of the Willing - maybe not the NRL's strongest feature... and another reason , one not yet used , to jib if Wigan manage to turn Penrith over..........

Think the NRL see Vegas as the bigger fish, but agree if it's Brisbane then they will be up for it at home - with Wigan looking hot this year it could be 1992 all over again.

On 06/01/2024 at 14:01, Damien said:

It has its knockers but the DW doesn't have a bad seat and the steep stands mean the view is great anywhere. The main downside to the ground and main criticism is the atmosphere for the smaller games when it is half empty. However that certainly will not apply here and when it is full, or even just 17k+, the atmosphere is always pretty fantastic and hard to beat.

Agreed, in the bowl it's a superb ground, with an outstanding atmosphere with a large crowd. 

It isn't unique in being terrible in the concourse though. 

21 hours ago, del capo said:

Oh I think if Wigan win, they'll be so angry and embarrassed about it, it'll definitely go ahead down under, next year. 

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Any betting odds out for this yet?

Bet 365 (Dutch version) giving Wigan +3.5 points @ 2/1.

Penrith - 3.5 points @ 1.80

Penrith to win by 1-12 points@ 2.37.

+ 13 points @ 3.50.

Wigan to win by 1-12 points @ 3.30

+ 13 points 8.00

Scratch

Penrith 1.57

Wigan 2.37

Penrith clear favourites 

Edited by yanto

5 hours ago, Dave T said:

Agreed, in the bowl it's a superb ground, with an outstanding atmosphere with a large crowd. 

It isn't unique in being terrible in the concourse though. 

I went to Wigan v Catalans a couple of years ago and the East Stand concourse is immeasurably better than the North, with a couple of varieties of bars and food outlets, not too dissimilar to the HJ.

North concourse is a nightmare for football (hence the capacity reduction), although the smart ones amongst us know to head downstairs to the Marquee at half time for a seat and a proper pint!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I went to Wigan v Catalans a couple of years ago and the East Stand concourse is immeasurably better than the North, with a couple of varieties of bars and food outlets, not too dissimilar to the HJ.

North concourse is a nightmare for football (hence the capacity reduction), although the smart ones amongst us know to head downstairs to the Marquee at half time for a seat and a proper pint!

11 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Talking of the North stand/ concourse someone has just bought  out a significant part of the whole of N2.

Is it Penrith or are we attracting ticket speculators ?

At this rate the remaining corners usually closed for soccer are going to have to be opened........ 

22 minutes ago, del capo said:

Talking of the North stand/ concourse someone has just bought  out a significant part of the whole of N2.

Is it Penrith or are we attracting ticket speculators ?

At this rate the remaining corners usually closed for soccer are going to have to be opened........ 

If it is the area at the front then I would imagine there will be a sponsors banner. If it is elsewhere then there’s a reasonable shout that it could be a block travel booking. 

10 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I think it was the East I went in for the Eng v PNG game in 2022 and it just wasn't even worth joining the queue, if you could even work out where it started. The North is stupidly full, feeling dangerous with a large crowd. 

11 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

The last experience i had (the away end for the Leeds play off semi was awful....couldn't get served full stop so gave up 

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think it was the East I went in for the Eng v PNG game in 2022 and it just wasn't even worth joining the queue, if you could even work out where it started. The North is stupidly full, feeling dangerous with a large crowd. 

A planning application for bars and food outlets underneath the North end of the East stand was approved in 2019, it was only accessible from outside the stadium. The area is currently under-utilised and is just a storage area.

It should not be beyond the whit of a decent architect to modify these proposals to provide access from the viewing area.

I don't think there was ever an intention to go ahead with this but was being used as a threat to open a competitive alternative to what Wigan RL were proposing to do at Robin Park Arena, open their own pre-match facility, which they have done.

Edited by Padge
  • Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 minute ago, Padge said:

A planning application for bars and food outlets underneath the North end of the East stand was approved in 2019, it was only accessible from outside the stadium. The area is currently under-utilised and is just a storage area.

It should not be beyond the whit of a descent architect to modify these proposals to provide access from the viewing area.

I don't think there was ever an intention to go ahead with this but was being used as a threat to open a competitive alternative to what Wigan RL were proposing to do at Robin Park Arena, open there own pre-match facility, which they have done.

I find it bizarre how poor the experience is at many modern grounds to get a drink or food. When some grounds are so strict on allowing food and drink to be brought in, but then making you queue for 30 minutes to get something from the kiosk, it's a joke - particularly when you have kids with you. 

Last time I went into the West Stand at Warrington I vowed never again.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I find it bizarre how poor the experience is at many modern grounds to get a drink or food. When some grounds are so strict on allowing food and drink to be brought in, but then making you queue for 30 minutes to get something from the kiosk, it's a joke - particularly when you have kids with you. 

They are doing themselves out of thousands of pounds of revenue every game by providing a bad customer experience.

• Like 2

Just now, Damien said:

They are doing themselves out of thousands of pounds of revenue every game by providing a bad customer experience.

That's the bit I don't get. Some of the solutions are pretty simple too. Setting up some bottle bars, tuck shops etc. At it's most extreme it absolutely stops people going to matches. I've tried to get into taking my daughter and her cousins, but tbh, it doesn't always work as a family experience. So we just don't bother going.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think part of the problem is all modern stadia in this country are built on a blueprint to accommodate the dominant sport, soccer, so if a club like Warrington ask for designs for a stadium you get an off the shelf soccer design. In soccer bars are really a luxury to spend a lot of money on due to the limited usage.

There are some more recent stadia designs that now seem to be giving some thought about what people expect and offer far better facilities, i.e. Tottenham. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.