Wigan v Penrith World Club challenge at the JJB

21 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

They were patting down last night. Let’s just say the hipflask filled with warming whisky was stored in a “no go zone”

Weird.....I'm not joking that I've never encountered it anywhere (I can remember anyway)...my missus has her bags checked but that's it

I assume your whisky was very warm by the time you drank it !

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

will either team have any domestic fixtures under their belts before this match or do they go in "clunky"?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

will either team have any domestic fixtures under their belts before this match or do they go in "clunky"?

Wigan will have played Cas in Super League.

This game is before the NRL season starts.

Penrith played a 2nd string in the first round of the NRL pre-season challenge before Saints in the WCC last year.  They are not in the pre-season challenge this year with travelling over here and I very much doubt they will organise a warm up 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Wigan will have played Cas in Super League.

This game is before the NRL season starts.

Penrith played a 2nd string in the first round of the NRL pre-season challenge before Saints in the WCC last year.  They are not in the pre-season challenge this year with travelling over here and I very much doubt they will organise a warm up 

excuses at the ready then?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

7 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

That’s where the community club mascots sit etc so will likely be held off while they get final numbers etc. So might result in an odd few coming available but likewise might mean they aren’t included in the current sales.

They did it for everybody in the away end. Not sure if it was the case last season though. 

You can buy the seats and some have been sold, so 'fraid not, if they were reserved you wouldn't be able to buy them.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 08/01/2024 at 17:15, Padge said:

The answer is simple, plenty variety at sensible prices to make it not worth the hassle to people to try and 'sneak' things in. Instead we go for little choice at inflated prices and draconian security.

Following a survey of supporters a few years ago the bars at Wigan put cask ale on, we as a group had not bought a beer in the ground for years, close to never. We started having a couple of pints in the ground, along with many others.

Then Latics were given control of the stadium and the then owners started to listen to the gobby element of the Latics supporters who wanted it removed as it was only there for the rugby supporters. It was removed and we haven't had a drink in there since. Crazy thing is that the rugby made no money from the bars, hence Lenagan opened his own next door, so it was Latics who missed out on the money. I hope under Danson that situation has been resolved.

I did wonder what happened to that real ale - sure Latics had their own at one point too.

1 hour ago, overtheborder said:

I did wonder what happened to that real ale - sure Latics had their own at one point too.

Latics had their own* beers produced by Hophurst Brewery which they sold in their club shop.

*They were probably Hophurst regular brews rebadged with Latics labels on the bottles. Owner and head brewer of Hophurst is Stuart Hurst a long time staunch Latics supporter.

The Cask in the ground was from Wiley Fox Brewery based at Martland Mill just a stones throw from the ground.

Edited by Padge
  • Thanks 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

24 minutes ago, Damien said:

If you are thinking about going you'd better get your tickets quick. The way its been selling it could be sold out in the next couple of weeks:

The sell out on Monday was 2,000 short of capacity due the areas netted of.

I would expect as many tickets to be held back for the rugby as the stands won’t have as many advertising banners, but even so, the can’t be much more than a 1000 or so tickets available in the North Stand and then odd tickets around the ground.

If they have cordened off some seats, they may make a decision about releasing them. 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

34 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

The sell out on Monday was 2,000 short of capacity due the areas netted of.

I would expect as many tickets to be held back for the rugby as the stands won’t have as many advertising banners, but even so, the can’t be much more than a 1000 or so tickets available in the North Stand and then odd tickets around the ground.

If they have cordened off some seats, they may make a decision about releasing them. 

That's Football, it's completely different with different requirements and security arrangements particularly with both fans sharing a stand. We know Good Friday was a 24,275 attendance with some unreserved seating. All 4 stands are reserved seating for this so there is no reason it couldn't match the 25,004 sellouts we have seen for other Rugby matches that have had all reserved seating (or very close to it).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

That's Football, it's completely different with different requirements and security arrangements particularly with both fans sharing a stand. We know Good Friday was a 24,275 attendance with some unreserved seating. All 4 stands are reserved seating for this so there is no reason it couldn't match the 25,004 sellouts we have seen for other Rugby matches that have had all reserved seating (or very close to it).

Appreciate that, but if you look at the active ticket sale map of the stadium the end sections of all stands apart from the South, look suspiciously full i.e. no individual seats for sale. They may well have sold out, but I suspect they are being held back or covered over. 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

14 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

Appreciate that, but if you look at the active ticket sale map of the stadium the end sections of all stands apart from the South, look suspiciously full i.e. no individual seats for sale. They may well have sold out, but I suspect they are being held back or covered over. 

They'll probably sell them if all the other tickets sell. The sides of the South Stand weren't originally on sale either.

1 hour ago, The 4 of Us said:

Yes there are 6 "edge" blocks that have never been on sale on the end of three stands, only the two South Stand edge blocks have been released. But that's just sensible to concentrate ticket sales until needed. I'm sure if they sell the remaining seats in the North stand (only singles in the others) then they'll release those remaining blocks at some point. 

Looking forward to this, going to be a great atmosphere. 

• Like 3

Some talk knocking about on RLFans that the capacity is being limited currently for both sides games (usually we wouldn't notice bar the once every two years Saints are in town at Easter) and that just shy of 23,000 allowed in the other night is about what we can expect to be able to sell. Something to do with health and safety licences and them having to swap damaged seats for ones in a good condition until they look at doing a full refurb of them all. 

If that is the case, I think it'll sell out pretty soon (unless they can find a work around to get more people in). 

35 minutes ago, Worzel said:

Yes there are 6 "edge" blocks that have never been on sale on the end of three stands, only the two South Stand edge blocks have been released. But that's just sensible to concentrate ticket sales until needed. I'm sure if they sell the remaining seats in the North stand (only singles in the others) then they'll release those remaining blocks at some point. 

Looking forward to this, going to be a great atmosphere. 

There is some suggestion on the Wigan  RL fans forum that years of neglect under the foreigners ownership have resulted in some seats becoming damaged and in turn being re located to the largely normally empty far corners, swapping them for the still good ones from there. Without those corners 24k looks about the maximum.

I'm certain the Rugby will sell every ticket they are allowed to , and they'll all be well gone by the end of the month.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Damien said:

If you are thinking about going you'd better get your tickets quick. The way its been selling it could be sold out in the next couple of weeks:

That is fantastic news, i hope it’s a thriller. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Josef K said:

That is fantastic news, i hope it’s a thriller. 

As opposed to... think Penrith might put the cleaners through your mob, they`re not happy. 😘

I am a Saints fan but when it comes to a British and hopefully one day a French club playing the Aussies i will always shout for one of our clubs. A few of my mates/workmates think i am a sick Judas 😂😂😂 and not a proper Saints fan😂😂😂 because i’ll be cheering on wigan. I give them a few chants of wigan wigan wigan and have told them a win for a SL club could be a big positive for our game. 

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I am a Saints fan but when it comes to a British and hopefully one day a French club playing the Aussies i will always shout for one of our clubs. A few of my mates/workmates think i am a sick Judas 😂😂😂 and not a proper Saints fan😂😂😂 because i’ll be cheering on wigan. I give them a few chants of wigan wigan wigan and have told them a win for a SL club could be a big positive for our game. 

Good to hear, plenty of Wigan fans did the same for Saints last year.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Damien said:

Good to hear, plenty of Wigan fans did the same for Saints last year.

I really don’t see a problem with it Damien, i do think most fans will be shouting for wigan. It’ll just be the rabid bitters praying for a Penrith win. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I really don’t see a problem with it Damien, i do think most fans will be shouting for wigan. It’ll just be the rabid bitters praying for a Penrith win. 

Neither do I.

11 hours ago, Josef K said:

I'll be shouting for Wigan and Penrith! 

• Haha 1