NRL Salary Cap Exemption for Rival Code Signings

Damien

A possible NRL salary cap exemption for signings from rival codes is up for discussion again. The NRL is already in a really strong financial position compared to every other Rugby competition, with French RU being the only one in any way comparable, and there is no way other southern hemisphere Rugby competitions or governing bodies could compete with something like this. It could really solidify RL's position in the Pacific and further erode Australian and NZ RU:

The ARL Commission is set to discuss ratifying salary cap exemptions for signing players from rival codes at next month’s board meeting – which is not only good news for the Sydney Roosters and target Mark Nawaqanitawase, but also Rugby Australia’s hottest young talent and free agent, Max Jorgensen.

This masthead exclusively revealed on Friday the Roosters were due to meet Nawaqanitawase next week for talks about joining them for the start of the 2025 season, when club legend Daniel Tupou will retire and Joseph Suaalii kicks off his $4.8 million three-year rugby deal.

The rich package for Suaalii has left some of rugby’s stars, including Jorgensen, eyeing similar money. Sources with knowledge of Jorgensen’s contract situation told this masthead the teenage fullback could expect to command close to $1 million a year when his deal expires at the end of next season.

A move to the NRL could be made easier if the ARLC fast-tracks plans to give NRL clubs financial incentives to target the best talent in rival codes.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/arlc-to-discuss-salary-cap-exemptions-for-clubs-signing-wallabies-stars-20231111-p5ej8g.html

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Damien changed the title to NRL Salary Cap Exemption for Rival Code Signings

29 minutes ago, Damien said:

A possible NRL salary cap exemption for signings from rival codes is up for discussion again. The NRL is already in a really strong financial position compared to every other Rugby competition, with French RU being the only one in any way comparable, and there is no way other southern hemisphere Rugby competitions or governing bodies could compete with something like this. It could really solidify RL's position in the Pacific and further erode Australian and NZ RU:

The ARL Commission is set to discuss ratifying salary cap exemptions for signing players from rival codes at next month’s board meeting – which is not only good news for the Sydney Roosters and target Mark Nawaqanitawase, but also Rugby Australia’s hottest young talent and free agent, Max Jorgensen.

This masthead exclusively revealed on Friday the Roosters were due to meet Nawaqanitawase next week for talks about joining them for the start of the 2025 season, when club legend Daniel Tupou will retire and Joseph Suaalii kicks off his $4.8 million three-year rugby deal.

The rich package for Suaalii has left some of rugby’s stars, including Jorgensen, eyeing similar money. Sources with knowledge of Jorgensen’s contract situation told this masthead the teenage fullback could expect to command close to $1 million a year when his deal expires at the end of next season.

A move to the NRL could be made easier if the ARLC fast-tracks plans to give NRL clubs financial incentives to target the best talent in rival codes.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/arlc-to-discuss-salary-cap-exemptions-for-clubs-signing-wallabies-stars-20231111-p5ej8g.html

The ARU will be forced to pay money they can't afford to keep their young talent or let them go

• Like 6

Well Jones swooped for NRL talent to try and boost the wallabies. Who have crashed out of a world cup at the group stages. Jones has gone.

So the ARU will either double down on his plan seeing the failure as proof he was right and a deep pocketed raid using every corporate finance trick in the book.

Or they will accept it's over and go back to raising their own players to see the best leave. 

RU in aus is on its ###### and this could be seen as an attempt by RL to finish it off. The old boys network telegraph will be singing.

I can see the NZRU getting involved as they stand to lose players in the future too. While I get that NZ are not inclined to help Aus the loss of RU players on their doorstep means they're next.

• Like 5

The ARU mob could have just been busy looking after their own issues these last few years but they insisted on taking pot shots and digs at the NRL and annoying a seemingly vindictive V’landys.

Edited by Copa
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Copa said:

The ARU mob could have just been busy looking after their own issues these last few years but they insisted on taking pot shots and digs at the NRL and annoying a seemingly vindictive V’landys.

Yeah, Rugby Australia’s pockets aren’t deep enough for a bidding war. 

I don’t want to lose Sualii to Union, but if it means three more rising talents in Union become disillusioned and easy prey for the NRL clubs, then that is an overall win for me.

i wouldn’t be focusing on many of the Wallabies though. I would be looking more at the likes of the All Blacks, Fringe Blacks, South Africans and Pacific Islanders.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

Yeah, Rugby Australia’s pockets aren’t deep enough for a bidding war. 

I don’t want to lose Sualii to Union, but if it means three more rising talents in Union become disillusioned and easy prey for the NRL clubs, then that is an overall win for me.

i wouldn’t be focusing on many of the Wallabies though. I would be looking more at the likes of the All Blacks, Fringe Blacks, South Africans and Pacific Islanders.

If the NRL want to really turbo charge the tv ratings & interest in New Zealand then signing a couple of All Blacks would do just that.

• Like 2

This salary cap exemption stuff has been bought up due to the Roosters making a play for one of the few Aussie union players who are actually world class.

NRL 2024: Sydney Roosters to meet with rising Wallabies star Mark Nawaqanitawase (smh.com.au)

Tension between the Sydney Roosters and Rugby Australia is set to explode with the NRL powerhouse club to meet with Wallabies rising star Mark Nawaqanitawase next week in a potential move that will send shockwaves through the 15-man game.

Nawaqanitawase, who has drawn comparisons with a young Israel Folau, has caught the eye of the Roosters as they look to bolster their back line in preparation for Suaalii’s departure and Daniel Tupou’s likely retirement at the end of 2024.

Nawaqanitawase, who is off contract with the NSW Waratahs at the end of 2024, is scheduled to meet with Roosters coach Trent Robinson and club supremo Nick Politis next week.

The other good bit for me:

Rugby Australia chief executive Phil Waugh was unaware of the meeting with the Roosters when contacted on Friday but said the 15-man game was very keen to retain the flying winger.

Oblivious, what a bloody numpty

.In an interview with this masthead in May, Nawaqanitawase said he wanted a long-term deal with RA but the code was not willing to extend his deal beyond 2024. That decision may now come back to bite them.

Bones of their ######.

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 2

I don't really like this idea... we see now the hilarious situation of good junior rugby union players switching to league with the idea that when they make the NRL, rugby union will pay overs to attract them - a salary cap exemption might encourage a reverse situation. Seems pointless to me - we are already destroying rugby union in Australia, and the only reason they are clinging on is they have a stronger international game. That's where our energy should be, not on gimmicks like this.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Copa said:

Perhaps the message to ARU is don't poke the bear (V'landys) or he will make you pay a price you can't afford

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

I don't really like this idea... we see now the hilarious situation of good junior rugby union players switching to league with the idea that when they make the NRL, rugby union will pay overs to attract them - a salary cap exemption might encourage a reverse situation. Seems pointless to me - we are already destroying rugby union in Australia, and the only reason they are clinging on is they have a stronger international game. That's where our energy should be, not on gimmicks like this.

They switch or stay, which is more accurate a lot of the time, because they can earn far more money as juniors, there are far more opportunities and the NRL as a competition and development environment dumps all over RU from a great height. This doesn't change any of that.

I think this type of rule is more for your established stars, the All Blacks of this world.

I think it's a great idea and fair play to the NRL who are doing a lot of things right at the minute.

The NRL signing an Irish rugby union international would certainly put the sport in the spotlight here, I can only imagine the articles and the amount of discussion on forums it would create. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

You make a fair point @ghost crayfish, when NRL is probably attracting 85% of the best talent, there would be no real need to remove any Australian from the cap. I would consider as a starting point, the NRL would do well to limit eligibility to non Australian based Super Rugby players to further make in roads into NZ. Getting some talented Kiwis and other Pacific Isle players will only serve to improve the NRL’s International product outside WC years.

25 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

I think it's a great idea and fair play to the NRL who are doing a lot of things right at the minute.

The NRL signing an Irish rugby union international would certainly put the sport in the spotlight here, I can only imagine the articles and the amount of discussion on forums it would create. 

I agree @Keith989, landing an Irish international will certainly create some big headlines. My concern with seeking out inter-continental players is two fold.

1. To entice an Irish, English, French, Welsh or Scottish international will probably take an exceptionally large contract, on an un-proven prospect. Whilst the money won’t fall into the cap, I don’t think NRL clubs have the money to just frivolously spend on players to create a headline, who are by no means a certainty to work out.

2. while the NRL is well financed, I don’t think they are financially ready to take on the collective might of the respective bodies of the Six Nations participants and World Rugby. I wouldn’t be too comfortable with that declaration of war at the moment. Their hands are full with the sporting market in the Pacific.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AB90 said:

If the NRL want to really turbo charge the tv ratings & interest in New Zealand then signing a couple of All Blacks would do just that.

Owners of English RL clubs told us for decades that signing Welsh RU players was the way to generate interest in RL. Turns out that depending on players from another sport for relevance and prestige, thereby demeaning your own sport as a parasitic bit-part adjunct, is not a recipe for long term prosperity.

Interest in the Warriors was "turbo-charged" in 2023. By the Warriors. By NRL. Not by All Blacks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Owners of English RL clubs told us for decades that signing Welsh RU players was the way to generate interest in RL. Turns out that depending on players from another sport for relevance and prestige, thereby demeaning your own sport as a parasitic bit-part adjunct, is not a recipe for long term prosperity.

Interest in the Warriors was "turbo-charged" in 2023. By the Warriors. By NRL. Not by All Blacks.

I think the issue with that is that in England clubs did it at the expense of doing a lot of other stuff they should have been doing. Without being lazy and relying on RU players English clubs actually became much better at bringing through their own talent.

I don't think the NRL suffers from the same issues and is coming from a much stronger, more dominant place.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think the issue with that is that in England clubs did it at the expense of doing a lot of other stuff they should have been doing. Without being lazy and relying on RU players English clubs actually became much better at bringing through their own talent.

I don't think the NRL suffers from the same issues and is coming from a much stronger, more dominant place.

Different dynamics in NZ. I'm more concerned about image and perception, rather than player development. This year proved the Warriors can generate huge interest without cheap headlines about signing All Blacks. 

Over in Oz, if the ARU want to emulate Widnes, let them go right ahead.

58 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Different dynamics in NZ. I'm more concerned about image and perception, rather than player development. This year proved the Warriors can generate huge interest without cheap headlines about signing All Blacks. 

Over in Oz, if the ARU want to emulate Widnes, let them go right ahead.

I don't think both does any harm. The NRL are certainly strong enough to do that.

• Like 1

In quite a few cases, I'd expect most signings from Australian RU to be players who came from a RL background, took a scholarship for a prestigious education and social advancement, but now want the advantages of a playing career at the lucrative summit of NRL before cashing in their fee-paying school background and connections for a prosperous post-playing career.

Win/win for them as individuals, but also the collapse of the RU schools' ban on other sports means that in 10-15 years' time, there will be a lot more movers and shakers in Australian business and society with Rugby League in their blood.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

There’d need to be some strict conditions attached to this or clubs will find loopholes to sign back RL players who have a brief stint in Union salary cap free.

I’d say once the dust settles it would result in clubs looking at 7’s and lower grade players in NZ, Fiji, South Africa etc that could be suited to RL that wouldn’t come with a huge price tag.

Some clubs may a big play for an All-Black, Springbok or Irish international but it’d be a risky large investment and as others have said it may not be worth poking the (World Rugby) Bear too much just yet.

Can only help strengthen depth if the NRL does go to 20 teams within 10 years.

13 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t there far more interest in Welsh rugby league during the 80’s & 90’s when English clubs were signing Welsh RU players?

So you think the NRL will be ‘dependent on players from another sport for relevance and prestige’ by signing a couple of Wallabies & All Blacks plus some Super Rugby level player. Respectfully speaking but that an outrages statement!

Do you think that if the Warriors signed a current, high profile All Blacks player that wouldn’t potentially increase the wider public’s interest?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, del capo said:

NRL copying Superleague.  Talent transfer exemptions already exist over here, as Leeds are currently checking with that RU forward...............

But the NRL have the money and competition to actually use it to a meaningful degree, if they wish.

7 hours ago, AB90 said:

Do you think that if the Warriors signed a current, high profile All Blacks player that wouldn’t potentially increase the wider public’s interest?

Tbh mate I don`t think it could get any wider in NZ this year, spending that money on scholarships and pathways would probably be a lot more productive.