Premier Sports buy themselves back from ViaPlay (Merged Threads)

https://marketing.ie/premier-sports-set-to-return-to-uk/ 

Premier Sports (PS) will return to the UK early next year subject to competition approval having agreed to take back control of the business which was recently sold to the Swedish-owned Viaplay Group of TV, streaming and radio channels. PS content will continue to be delivered on Sky and Virgin. Streaming customers can continue to use Amazon Prime and iTunes while PS plans to launch its own streaming service early in 2024.

What does this mean for Rugby League? Who knows?

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

https://marketing.ie/premier-sports-set-to-return-to-uk/ 

Premier Sports (PS) will return to the UK early next year subject to competition approval having agreed to take back control of the business which was recently sold to the Swedish-owned Viaplay Group of TV, streaming and radio channels. PS content will continue to be delivered on Sky and Virgin. Streaming customers can continue to use Amazon Prime and iTunes while PS plans to launch its own streaming service early in 2024.

What does this mean for Rugby League? Who knows?

its just even more confusing and bewildering for the fans - millions of channels with nothing worth watching

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

4 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

its just even more confusing and bewildering for the fans - millions of channels with nothing worth watching

I mean.. it isn't a "new" channel, it will be 1 channel rebranding as another (again). So it will be the same amount of channels as before. 

If it wasn't for these smaller time sports broadcasters then no Championship rugby would have been seen on TV since the 8s, barring the odd final and summer bash. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Futtocks said:

What does this mean for Rugby League?

Be nice to think they'd want to repeat their experience with the Championship. They really need content after all.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

You are perhaps assuming that apart from a few on here the fans you mention neither know or nor care?

12 hours ago, Click said:

I mean.. it isn't a "new" channel, it will be 1 channel rebranding as another (again). So it will be the same amount of channels as before. 

If it wasn't for these smaller time sports broadcasters then no Championship rugby would have been seen on TV since the 8s, barring the odd final and summer bash. 

It will also likely be on the same bloody channel on Sky, so yeah, sooo confusing.  No surprise to see who posted that negative as quickly as possible though.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

If no-one pays for it, is it worth giving away or better for clubs to monetise their games themselves?

The problem there is the argument that any extra income from pitch side advertising etc. doesn’t make up for the revenue from a loss of fans a televised evening match usually means.

10 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

If no-one pays for it, is it worth giving away or better for clubs to monetise their games themselves?

The view from another code (in a galaxy far away etc) was always that giving content away devalued all the content - so they’d rather no one showed it or it was bundled with the level one coverage with no actual obligation to show it.

Which always seemed a bit self defeating to me, but it’s what they did…

Edited by iffleyox

1 hour ago, Gomersall said:

The problem there is the argument that any extra income from pitch side advertising etc. doesn’t make up for the revenue from a loss of fans a televised evening match usually means.

Unless Premier Sports show it FTA rather than on their subscription service, I can't see how it would affect Championship attendances that much.

How many championship fans actually subscribed to viaplay last season?

7 minutes ago, Click said:

Unless Premier Sports show it FTA rather than on their subscription service, I can't see how it would affect Championship attendances that much.

How many championship fans actually subscribed to viaplay last season?

I guess the amount is minimal, but depending on how many games we're shown I'd definitely consider it this season. 

Has it just been 1 game a week in previous years?

2 minutes ago, Yorky said:

I guess the amount is minimal, but depending on how many games we're shown I'd definitely consider it this season. 

Has it just been 1 game a week in previous years?

I don't think any TV station is interested in showing more than 1 game a week, pretty much no TV station has been interested in even showing 1 game a week to be fair.

At the end of the day, we're in 2023, no sports club should be scared of being on TV anymore, they should know how to try and make it more of an event because it is on TV. 

Didn't French RL fall from the heights it once was because they didn't want to be on TV all those years ago? If no one can see you, you can't grow.

• John Drake changed the title to Premier Sports buy themselves back from ViaPlay (Merged Threads)
5 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Back around 10 + years ago when the Championship was on SKY clubs would receive 5000 a match for perimeter advertising SKY brought value same with the RU Championship.

Sadly Premier Sports doesn't cut the mustard.

Thanks, so broadly £100-150k per year

21 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Better to produce a streaming product like watch NRL and stream SL/champ/L1. One central payment add the money to the central funding pot.

• Like 1