NRL Las Vegas Adventure

On 01/12/2023 at 22:35, The Rocket said:

There is not a snowball`s that V`landys will be spending $40m per year of NRL money on this, that is not his styles at all. In fact the figure being quoted in the Sydney Morning Herald was of around $9m per annum for the whole venture, and I expect that that the NRL will only be forking out a fraction of that.

What is the expected profit from this event?

2 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

What is the expected profit from this event?

I saw V`landys saying the other day if they can crack 40 000 they`ll break even, so I gather if they can pull 55 - 65 000 they`d be making a tidy profit and perhaps enough to fund next year`s event. HST, as we well know as much as that would be wonderful and probably ensure that it is on-going as a stand-alone event it`ll be whether it starts to generate wider interest and other revenue streams that will really count.

• Like 1

The NRL has set 40K as their target for Y1 & has already locked in a deal with Visit LV & LV Stadium till 2028 (5 years).  They are sitting close to 25K currently. 

The NRLs aims for this are of course to make money. Gambling has been talked about, but the reality is the NRL is unlikely to establish much more than a broadcast/sports data arrangements with key providers in the first few years.

The NRL has outlined that they hope to increase WatchNRL subscriptions in the US (currently around 3000) & they want to get more NRL on FS1.

The most encouraging thing is the NRL is also working with the USARL whilst over there as well. They are underwriting a 9s competition that will take place on the Thursday/Friday leading in, they are running coaching & referee training courses & they are planning school visits with DOs leading into it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

21 hours ago, Big Picture said:

They can certainly be worthy N. H. competitors, quite quickly. We should do all we can to include them every year. 

2 hours ago, fighting irish said:

They can certainly be worthy N. H. competitors, quite quickly. We should do all we can to include them every year. 

A national game is on the cards for Vegas I believe - although still to be confirmed, hopefully we will be getting USA v Canada on the Friday night at another local stadium (Allegiant obviously a bit too big and expensive). Should be a decent crowd if that comes off as there will be plenty of RL and RU fans in town for the weekend.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, frank said:

Great news Whippet. Really looking forward to this so hope I can access it.

I can see the PCRL sending a similar number of teams as well. Doubt it'll be on TV but I would expect them to stream it.

• Like 1

On 03/01/2024 at 00:16, Whippet13 said:

What sort of entities are these Utah "Rugby League clubs"? There's some game footage on URLA social media where, among other flaws, they're awarding 5 points for a try.

One of the featured encounters is a women's game, which underlines the potential value of showcasing an NRLW game in LV in future years. Also important to include League Tag in grass-roots work. Because non-contact forms stand a far better chance of familiarizing locals with the basics of RL through participation.

On 04/01/2024 at 18:07, unapologetic pedant said:

What sort of entities are these Utah "Rugby League clubs"? There's some game footage on URLA social media where, among other flaws, they're awarding 5 points for a try.

One of the featured encounters is a women's game, which underlines the potential value of showcasing an NRLW game in LV in future years. Also important to include League Tag in grass-roots work. Because non-contact forms stand a far better chance of familiarizing locals with the basics of RL through participation.

These are real RL clubs run by RL people, primarily with links to the Pcific Islands so know exactly what the difference between RU and RL is.

Be interested in seeing this "5 point try" footage if you can post a link here please, I follow them on Twitter and have never seen anything like that. 

Utah RL also run what is the only youth RL competition in the USA:

35 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Be interested in seeing this "5 point try" footage if you can post a link here please, I follow them on Twitter and have never seen anything like that. 

I don't know how to post links. It's all on the URLA Facebook page. Choppy footage of passages from several games in early December. Scores are on-screen. Thought there might be an IT problem, but occasionally they post 4 points. For instance, the scoring in one game went 4-0, 9-0, 14-0, 19-0, 24-0, 29-0.

57 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

These are real RL clubs run by RL people, primarily with links to the Pcific Islands so know exactly what the difference between RU and RL is.

Utah RL also run what is the only youth RL competition in the USA:

That sounds encouraging, but are you saying the players have no involvement with RU? Is League their sole focus, main focus? Do the clubs possess any physical infrastructure?

• Like 1

On 05/01/2024 at 23:47, unapologetic pedant said:

That sounds encouraging, but are you saying the players have no involvement with RU? Is League their sole focus, main focus? Do the clubs possess any physical infrastructure?

I believe it's very much like development areas in the UK, there is a mixture.

Doubt they own infrastructure, why would they need to given their current age and size?

Edited by Whippet13

On 05/01/2024 at 23:41, unapologetic pedant said:

I don't know how to post links. It's all on the URLA Facebook page. Choppy footage of passages from several games in early December. Scores are on-screen. Thought there might be an IT problem, but occasionally they post 4 points. For instance, the scoring in one game went 4-0, 9-0, 14-0, 19-0, 24-0, 29-0.

Was the game indoors? If so, maybe they don't kick for goal, but award either four points or five depending on where the try is scored. 

• Thanks 1

On 05/01/2024 at 23:41, unapologetic pedant said:

No idea what URLA is, never heard of it - perhaps it is a RU site showing their highlights.

I've looked at the USARL site and there was no footage posted, which is to be expected as it is the RL off-season.

26 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

No idea what URLA is, never heard of it

You literally posted a tweet from them on this page.

• Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Was the game indoors? If so, maybe they don't kick for goal, but award either four points or five depending on where the try is scored. 

That would explain it. Mistake to choose 5 points rather than 6 for the bonus tries though. Bound to cause confusion with the other code.

Hard to make sense of the games, there are that many breaks in the footage.

Thought this was more in tune with the "Las Vegas Adventure" thread as opposed to the "Vegas Baby" thread.

Broncos confirm promotional partnership with NFL champion - NRL News - Zero Tackle.

“Tom Brady and the Broncos – it doesn't get much better that that, and we're excited to be welcoming him to our city," Broncos coach Kevin Walters said in a statement.

• Like 1